Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teddy had diarrhea last nite but he has been ok all day. I wonder if I should feed him half of his food - all dry or wet? any suggestions? He sure emptied his intestine from what I found - sorry - yukky subject! He got me up at 3am to go out - I am sooooo glad I let him out!!!! lol

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
You can treat diarrhea a couple of ways:

1. Rest the system with some fasting for a day. Make sure that water is always available.

2. Feed something binding like pumpkin.

3. Give Flagyl. This is the low level antibiotic, Metronidazol. You can buy it from a vet here in the US, but I pick this up over the counter in Mexico ($8). Most of the dog show people I know keep this on hand because you can't risk bad diarrhea in the ring and when you are traveling from show to show, you never know what you might pick up (plus, some dogs are very sensitive to changes in their water/food).

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much - I was hoping someone would post since he is STARVING ha ha - he hasnt had anything to eat since last night at 6 pm and he had the "explosion' at 3am - he has drunk his water today but shoudl I give him his regular food or just some dry with pumpkin or wet with pumpkin?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so I shoudl just give him some pumpkin? He hasnt gone again all day - just 3am - how much shoudl I give him?

·
Registered
94 Posts
3. Give Flagyl. This is the low level antibiotic, Metronidazol. You can buy it from a vet here in the US, but I pick this up over the counter in Mexico ($8). Most of the dog show people I know keep this on hand because you can't risk bad diarrhea in the ring and when you are traveling from show to show, you never know what you might pick up (plus, some dogs are very sensitive to changes in their water/food).

Are dog affected by yeast infections like humans?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave him the pumpkin and a couple of teaspoons of his wet food - Chicken Soup for Dog Lover Soul - I think I know what gav ehim the tummy ache - these treats that make Ginger sick once too - I threw them out

·
Registered
128 Posts
An organic Chicken broth is a good thing to give to rest their system while hydrating and providing some nutrition. Organic is usually not only lowfat but also low salt. I keep a product called Endosorb on hand if it is a real problem. I get that from the vet. Kind of a Pepcid for dogs, altho I have also had the vet tell me to give a dog Pepcid to settle a tummy. Canned solid Pumpkin is also good though!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My vet told me to boil up some rice and extra lean ground beef and mix it together. I always feed that to my dogs for a few days when they have diarrhea. Actually they think plain rice is a big treat too.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Are dog affected by yeast infections like humans?
Dogs get yeast infections in their ears. I have never had a problem with Flagyl destroying too much stomach flora since Flagyl is specifically designed to stomach bug issues. If this is a concern, yogurt or acidophilus is always a good fix.

Seriously though.... Flagyl really works to clear up diarrhea.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My vet told me to boil up some rice and extra lean ground beef and mix it together. I always feed that to my dogs for a few days when they have diarrhea. Actually they think plain rice is a big treat too.
Yes I know to do that if it is a real bout that is more than once - but I think he got sick from a treat I gave him - supposedly made of chicken but hard it caused Ginger to get one bout of it once and then I tried again weeks later and they were both good. I think maybe some of the strips might have been bad or something so I threw the bag out. Waggin TRain Jerky Tenders - made from "wholesome chicken" - dunno that's all I can think of. Its so hard to get them chewy treats cause the vet doesn't want them to have rawhide of any kind. I would love to have something that they could chew for a while ya know? Those nyla bones are good but they get pieces off of them too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wapiti Elk Antlers - great chew, last a long time even after they eat the softer inner stuff out, which is good because they cost a lot - like $18 for a 4" by 2" piece. Come from a domestic herd in Wisconsin I think, and the antlers self shed, so no one gets hurt in the harvesting of the antlers. My SPoo and Cresteds have been working on them for about 4 months or more.

I stay away from any treats from outside the US or Canada.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts