Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys--
Just brought home our new poodle four days ago, from his breeder. He's a year old, and why he was back there is a long story but not relevant.

I did a stupid thing--changed the food he was getting to Abady, which is a great brand, I'm told, but I didn't do it slowly and the little guy's stools, which were firm the first day we had him, first became very soft and then (starting Monday morning, day three with us) he had diarrhea.

He's had diarrhea since Monday morning, and just today I started adding plain rice to his food, as his breeder had suggested. I called my vet, who said that as long as he was eating and not vomiting the diarrhea was probably attributable the new diet and would pass with time and rice.

I know I'm a dope, BUT: my question is: do dogs experience diarrhea such that they can't control themselves? My poor guy eyed the door as he went by it two hours ago, but I ignored the look (he'd been walked an hour earlier) and then a minute later he was squatting and out came the diarrhea.

So does this mean he's not housebroken (as I was told he was) or just that the stress of the new home (from rural NYS to midtown NYC) and new food gave him uncontrollable diarrhea?

Thanks in advance!

Georgia
(owner of Sugarfoot Black Jack Davy, who died in January)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Dogs can not control their stool no more then we can. So when you have had the runs its you go now, not when you think you should go ;)

So from now on I would let him out when he thinks he needs to go out just to keep up with the house training.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Whats more is the dog doesn't have the same thought process concerning where and when to "go". All they know is that they need to go and it's uncomfortable to wait. Probably in a case like this their tummy is upset and just like with a person he felt a certain relief when he went.

LoL, Reminds me of that commerical " gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now.." come on sing along.. LoL :p

Hope your baby's tummy feels better soon and he gets back on track with his housetraining. Keep in mind that dogs often need a refresher in the potty training department of their brains when they move into a new home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yucky.....

Thank you both. I hope we see an end to this trouble soon so I can convince my husband that Beau is in fact housebroken. You guys are so reassuring!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
LoL, When we first adopted our older girl Jazz back in October we had a little uh oh! kind of moment when we thought she might not be housebroken. It was just stress though, she had just the one accident and then have never had another one and without being harped on at all goes to the same place in the yard every time. Kind of handy when you go to clean up LoL, I always know where to look :p

The only other time we've had problems was when she had an upset tummy and I didnt let her out in time.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I had a fully house broken dog once that got left over pork roast off the counter and ate it all. In my experience, pork tends to give dogs diahrria even in small quantities, so you can well imagine how this poor dog felt! He had several "accidents" even though he went out and "did his thing" more than he had any accidents, but, like people, sometimes when you have bad diahrria it is hard to make it to the bathroom in time. I fed only boiled rice to him for two days and he straightened back out. Was not a pleasant thing, as you well know...lol.

I would tell your husband that it is not his fault and that if he was housebroken before you got him, he will be fine once he gets his stools under control and also, once he learns the rhythm of your household. You should always expect that a new dog to your house, even if housebroken, may have a couple of accidents as they learn a whole new routine.

Good luck with your boy!

·
Registered
210 Posts
My boy is completely house broke and a while back we had family stay with us ,who I told not to feed him from the table and they were wneaking him stuff when I wasn't looking.....that night he had the runs so bad I had to throw out a nice dog bed and wash the crate out and give the poor guy a bath. :mad: I was pretty upset because I had told them he has a sensitive tummy...I guess they thought I was stupid. Anyhow point is he couldn't hold it and yes their tummy's can get that upset over a food change.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Personally I would starve him for the day, give him a wormer as you dont know what you bought home. Following day only rice and chicken, it usually does the trick. Have him on this for a few days. In Australia we also use scourban which help firm the poo up. I also give Jalna yoghurt, must be plain.

Good luck

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would also say that some foods - even good ones, can be too hard on on a stomach so if he hasn't cleared up after a reasonable time, I'd consider switching to something else.
But likely, he is just reacting to new home and new food.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
But likely, he is just reacting to new home and new food.
Yes definately. I have seen it too many times where ppl change foods and they dogs get diahrea. It should be a slow process. That is where starving for a day, then giving rice and chicken then next usually helps.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If he's "eyeing" the door - that might be his way of telling you he needs to go!

Different dogs have different ways of telling you when they need to go outside when they are housebroken. If he has diarrhea he probably was trying to tell you he needed to go... and he just couldn't hold it anymore.

If my dog signals me to go out - I usually let her out right away - I've ignored it before and she went in the house even thou she is fully house broken/trained. (and she didn't have diarrhea)

If that happens I just knock myself on the head, because I know I've ignored her signal!

Just like people, they can only hold it so long - right!

·
Registered
546 Posts
BLACK JACK DAVY - if you eat "North American" food your entire life, then suddenly switch to a diet of Indian food and have Chicken Tikka Masala all day long.. you would most certainly have an upset tummy yourself! LOL!

Your puppies poor little tummy has a real adjustment to make with the sudden change to this "foreign" food. I hope he is getting better! Maybe get him a diaper to wear to avoid accidents? I'm sure he will do his best to hold it.. but when nature calls!...

GOOD LUCK!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
When I switched Moose and we mixed his puppy w/adult he got diarrhea and we even tried small % and upped yet he STILL had diarrhea so we stopped.

A couple months later I up and switched on him 100% and he had soft poopy for a couple days but is 100% back to normal now. So, no idea about what happened when we SLOWLY tried.

My thought is that it was TOTALLY unrelated to the food... he prob got into something, or was upset/stressed, etc.

When Moose does not feel well he will go to the bathroom anyplace... you can tell by the way he looks if he's not feeling well. He was like this the other day and went P on the deck (Which he does hwen it's covered wtih snow... but it's not now.) Normallly I let him out ont he deck while I get ready for 2 minutes then I take him out for a run... he just waddled over, went p and then laid down. He had NO interest in donig aynthing else.

So he could have diahrrea due to the food, the new home stress, and/or a combination.

I'd switch him back to his normal food after not feedinh him for one day (Give him water though).

Then wait a few weeks or a month before switching him... let him get used to the new house.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You might have him tested for worms or Giardia (not sure of the spelling). Giardia will manifest itself in this manner... plus he needs to think of your home as his "den"... this might take a bit as he adjust to his new home I think things will get better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Iwould heve the dog tested . My first dog did not have worms but the tested further and it had giardia. I would also test for coccidia. Alot of puppies have this.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello, When we brought our puppy home we stayed on the breeder's food food for a few months and very slowly transitioned to his adult food - different brand. Another product our breder recommended was Forco - it is all natural and you sprinkle it over their food. It works as well for horses going through transition. I try to have metronidazole on hand from the vets for cases like that. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts