Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yuck - my toy poodle kept going back to the same spot at the park today and I kept calling her back to me. When we were leaving, she always follows me and lo and behold, she was back at that spot. I walked over and found that a dog had thrown up and she was eating it. I have never heard of this and am very concerned.
Do I have to worry? I brought her home, washed her and brushed her teeth...
Thanks -

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
Dogs can be kinda disgusting. My dog once tried to eat his own vomit and I was gagging as I raced to clean it up. I’m sure your pup will be fine. I read the literal translation for “dog” in one of the American Indian languages literally translates to ‘horse poo eaters.” Gag.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
This is very common in dogs and nothing to worry about. They will est their own vomit and other dog’s too, because of non-digested bits and pieces.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I'm posting this with a red face. My dog has eaten other animals poop, including horse poop although we stopped that behavior and she was tested for and found to have and treated for parasites. My dog has gobbled her food down too quickly and immediately tossed it back - I was fine with her eating it a second time. No problem.

My only concern for your dog is why did that other animal throw up- were they fed poison? Were they ill from parasites? Could that vomit have more in it than food and stomach enzymes? I would watch your dog for digestive upset. I could consider getting their poop tested for parasites if your vet thinks it's a good idea.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I'm posting this with a red face. My dog has eaten other animals poop, including horse poop although we stopped that behavior and she was tested for and found to have and treated for parasites. My dog has gobbled her food down too quickly and immediately tossed it back - I was fine with her eating it a second time. No problem.

My only concern for your dog is why did that other animal throw up- were they fed poison? Were they ill from parasites? Could that vomit have more in it than food and stomach enzymes? I would watch your dog for digestive upset. I could consider getting their poop tested for parasites if your vet thinks it's a good idea.
Skylar has a good point. Hopefully there won’t be a problem but watch your dog and don’t hesitate to see the vet.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mimi just did this about an hour ago.
She ate her dinner too fast and threw it all up. I was glad when she ate it again, that food‘s not cheap.

But I definitely wouldn’t be glad if she ate some other animal’s vomit. Especially considering that animal didn’t want it themselves, must be a reason they left it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Simon, our Jack Russell Terror, is notorious for gobbling "throw up". I have a confession. At three in the morning when I hear a cat yakking, I just cover my head up and pretend I do not hear Simon cleaning things up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yuck!

My main reason for posting was the fact that I was concerned just what was in the "v" she was eating. Was the dog healthy? Was there anything I had to worry about?
We were there again yesterday and I had shooed her away from the spot as well as some other dogs who were interested. She is fine so I assume all is well. We are due for a check up so I will take a stool sample with me.
Thanks for all your concern!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts