Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help::help:As many of you know, I just had my first beautiful spoo litter. What I need to know is this... the lady that I got my male from just opened a pet store. She wants to know if I will sell here some of my babies for the store. Now, the ONLY way I will even think about this is if it is limited reg., & if the buyer cannot keep them, I get them back. She has a small pet store in her hometown (pretty small, but nice), but it is still a pet store. She is very nice, & seems to care for the ones she has, but I am still not sure. What are y'alls thoughts?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I,personally, would never buy a puppy from a pet store.
The reality of puppy mills just breaks my heart.
Any potential support of one should be avoided.
I believe that in Canada it is against the law to sell dogs at a pet stores.
Yours is a different situation,but I think,that most dogs found in pet stores originate from puppy mills,therefore noone should encourage dogs being sold there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. that's what I am scared of that a good good won't take a pup in. I never even thought this would be a question. I would rather it be from me than from a mill though.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
:help::help:As many of you know, I just had my first beautiful spoo litter. What I need to know is this... the lady that I got my male from just opened a pet store. She wants to know if I will sell here some of my babies for the store. Now, the ONLY way I will even think about this is if it is limited reg., & if the buyer cannot keep them, I get them back. She has a small pet store in her hometown (pretty small, but nice), but it is still a pet store. She is very nice, & seems to care for the ones she has, but I am still not sure. What are y'alls thoughts?
Puppies don't get the proper socialization they need being in a pet store as far as Im concerned. Not only do I frown apon pet stores that sell puppies but I think it should be out lawed. Also in a pet store puppies are much more likely to pick up parvo then they would be in your home. Parvo out breaks in pet store's happen often and sadly many puppies die.

I suggest you keep the puppies with you. Any serious potential buyer will be happy to meet the puppies at your home no matter how far from town you live. Of course do what you think is best but my suggestion would be, no thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about my spelling, I often check my e-mail on my phone, when I reply sometimes it does not come out the way I want. Anyway, thank you for y'alls thoughts. Maybe I will just let her tell people about them, & then I can meet them. I would like to know where they go & get to check up on them from time to time.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sorry about my spelling, I often check my e-mail on my phone, when I reply sometimes it does not come out the way I want. Anyway, thank you for y'alls thoughts. Maybe I will just let her tell people about them, & then I can meet them. I would like to know where they go & get to check up on them from time to time.
I think that is a wise decision.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Think about it this way, most responsible dog owners won't even consider a pet store puppy, sooo if thats the case, then your puppies won't be getting the best homes they possibly can right?
I think it's wise to have your friend just tell people about the litter of puppies rather than trying to sell them through her store.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would definitely not sell them to a pet store. You would have no control really over who the puppies go to. For your own peace of mind - I think you would want to have them come to your house so you can meet them and talk with them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Also.....

pet store puppy buyers tend to buy on impulse and are more apt to get frustrated and to take the dog to the pound when things get rough....

with pups

you know they do!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Since you have a previous relationship with the lady, perhaps she would be willing to let you advertise your home based pups at her store...seems like she is just looking to stir up some business...so perhaps you can advertise at her store for free and, in return, give some sort of coupon (for food, toys, crate, whatever) from her store to the folks who adopt their puppies from you. Like a "new puppy" package including crate, bowls, brushes, etc...for a set amount.

That way your puppies get some advertising and she, potentially, gets more non-puppy (but puppy related) business.

(Maybe you can even convince her that a wall of pup pictures from respected breeders could help her business grow better than a wall full of crated pups).

It would be nice to be able to support her business in a way that doesn't disagree with your morals. (And vice-versa, of course :p)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would just make up a nice flyer for her to put in the store. Something with nice pictures of mother and father, and maybe a group pic of the puppies when they get a bit older?

Seeing as you got your male from the pet store owner, perhaps she would even be willing to groom mom and dad for some pictures for the flyer???? I know that mom is not ready for a groom yet, but perhaps in a few weeks?

I think that you would have a hard time even leaving those puppies at the store...you seem so attached already! LOL

Better to leave them at home to learn from momma, they can always visit the pet shop after they are fully immunized and in their new homes!

If she is trying to drum up business, have her make you up some coupons for a discount toward a first puppy item purchase...then put the coupons in with the shot records, paperwork, ect when they go to new homes.

That way you know that the puppy will be getting some items it needs, while she gets some sales.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, I agree... I cannot do it. The more I try to talk myself into it, the more I just can't. I have to be sure they are safe & have good homes...they are my "grandkids" lol I cant' just send them off to who knows....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts