Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please dust off your old photos for me. With Peggy's next grooming coming up, I want to see some pics of your 4-month-old spoos!

Mostly I'm trying to decide whether or not to shave that silly face of hers, but I'm also just plain old interested in what your dogs looked like at this age. It's really hard to believe there's a poodle under all her fluff!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I didn’t get Norman his big boy haircut until he was 6 months old! As you can see from these photos, he was a big furry mess!! But I loved that messy look on him. Really fit his personality. I am actually happy I waited so long to do his face because these photos melt my heart!!!
But if you shave Peggy’s face, I warn you, you will love it and never want to go back!!!!!
I wanted him to stay looking like a “messy puppy” as long as I could easily maintain the mats.

If you’re nervous about the face shaved like I was, I would highly recommend getting her feet done at the least. This has been a blessing for Norman and myself! Too much gunk got in Norman’s paw hair and he started to bite them a lot!
The face shave took a while for me to do and that’s ok!! I know some people think sooner the better for them to get use to it, I agree, but I just wasn’t ready. After shaving I finally saw the poodle hidden under all that fluff!!! And you will too:) some days I miss the scruffy Norman, but he’s never been happier!! He can finally feel the wind on his face on car rides, he looks happier, and less water pools on the floor after he drinks! Worth it!! But again, I waited till I was ready.

Do what makes you and Peggy happy!!! I will include a shaved face photo at the groomers so you can see the drastic difference the face shave will make!!

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
Here is Dewey at about 3 1/2 months.

I am always partial to shaved faces though my husband constantly says he wishes they could have the fluffy face. Since I do the grooming the faces stay shaved. :)

Your Peggy has beautiful markings!

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is Dewey at about 3 1/2 months.

I am always partial to shaved faces though my husband constantly says he wishes they could have the fluffy face. Since I do the grooming the faces stay shaved.

Your Peggy has beautiful markings!
Twins!

Peggy has a white moustache and chin, which is ADORABLE but very quickly started turning brown. Would be a full-time job keeping those markings snowy white, so I'm just trying to roll with it. I think shaving her face will help. Will be easier to manage the crusty poodle tears, too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here’s Jett at 4 months right before and right after his first professional hairdo! I much prefer the shaved face. Just from a training perspective, shave early and often!!! Even if it’s incomplete or ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here’s Jett at 4 months right before and right after his first professional hairdo! I much prefer the shaved face. Just from a training perspective, shave early and often!!! Even if it’s incomplete or ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That shaved face is so handsome. I used to think the fluffy face was cutest, but I'm a total convert. Definitely shaving Peggy's face next week.

Our groomer wants to see her at least once a month for her first year, to get her comfortable with the process. I realize now that the breeder should have also been regularly shaving at least her face, paws, and sanitary area. I think she only did it once.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hopefully this works. The first picture was when we brought Mr. Layne home from the breeder. He was about 4 months old. His breeder is a really good groomer so he was all brushed & fancy. His breeder likes the fluffy paws & so do I however she trained him very well for the groom table & I have continued to work with him so he grows more patient with my bumbling & is okay with me brushing the paws. If he wasn't, I'd shave the suckers. My husband hates the shaved face & feet. I'm a little torn. I don't like the sharp whiskers shaving the face leaves behind. I was going to let him get fluffy faced but when I tried, I was like, 'where's the pup?' So I'm going after the face with a #10 blade instead of #30 or #40. He's got fuzz face instead of fluff face.

The second picture is Mr. Layne now. He's 7 months old.

Such gorgeous dogs pictures in this thread!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts