Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm impressed by the variety of poodle names here. So, how did you choose your poodle's name? Does he/she have a formal name? a nickname?

Our red miniature is Normie. He's named after his breeder (Norm) and Norm Peterson from 'Cheers.' Both are rotund teddy-bear easy-going guys. So far our Normie shares their laid back dispositions.

Officially he's Charming Norman. Unofficially he's often Stormin' Norman.
Sir Sammy Sabol II. Sammy
Sir because he deserves the respect
Sammy after an older gentleman who taught us how to farm
Sabol after my partner’s last name
II because we lost Sammy #1 to pythiosis when he was 2 years old.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm impressed by the variety of poodle names here. So, how did you choose your poodle's name? Does he/she have a formal name? a nickname?

Our red miniature is Normie. He's named after his breeder (Norm) and Norm Peterson from 'Cheers.' Both are rotund teddy-bear easy-going guys. So far our Normie shares their laid back dispositions.

Many years ago my husband handed me his winnings from a long shot mare he bet on. He said " Here is the $$$$ for your S.P. puppy.". The mare's name was "Rose Royce". From that time on every pup I registered has had the suffix Rose Royce! I use precious gems or minerals as their first name. Crystal, Sterling, Jade, Ruby, Garnet etc. Now to my last ( I will be 77 yrs old soon) I am going to do my suffix as the prefix! AKC reg. applied for : ROSE ROYCE ROYAL GOLD call name is Goldee.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Many years ago my husband handed me his winnings from a long shot mare he bet on. He said " Here is the $$$$ for your S.P. puppy.". The mare's name was "Rose Royce". From that time on every pup I registered has had the suffix Rose Royce!
What an interesting history and beautiful names!

·
Registered
476 Posts
It took us a long time to decide on a name. Picking a name would be much easier if I wasn't married, lol, but raising a puppy would be much harder! Violets grow wild where I live, so it has been a fitting name for my beautiful, inquisitive, active puppy. She has her breeder's kennel name in front, she is Farthing's Handful of Violets.

3379808F-C37B-48FB-9546-0CF0E4D8C113_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Piper Louise & Gypsy Rose.

Piper is from the show Charmed, because Piper was the spunky sister but also a worrier. She has a lot of nervous energy so it fits her well.

Gypsy Rose is a brand of tea and I loved the name, and we traveled a ways to pick her up so I thought Gypsy was appropriate. It's also unfortunately associated with an infamous murder case but I had already fallen in love with the name when I found that out

Sent from Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
We left home on our puppy choosing day with all intent to grab a red litter mate but this little phantom sable would not leave us alone. With his black, chocolate, cream and tan markings, he looked like a miniature bear. So with my last name being Rose before I married, we named him Teddy Rose E. Velt. At one year old, we are still keeping the teddy bear cut and everyone he meets think his name is quite appropriate.

He is also known as Ted-Ted-Ted! (when barking at the mailman) and Wolverine (when he is in the mood to wrestle and pretend bite).

·
Registered
19 Posts
My pup is Twizzler because he has black spirals of crazy hair. His registered name is Anna Banana's Twizzler - it's a family nickname from my childhood - but he's just he Twiz to his friends. I already had a rescue with crazy black hair named Licorice and I had other ideas for Twiz but it won out - he has his own instagram @Twizzlerpup

·
Registered
73 Posts
Everyone has such cute and original names for their Poodles. I do not. His name is Joey. Called Joey, JOJO, and Joe depending. My reason is I was reading a book with a Joey in it and liked it. His father's name is Noris and I thought about Chuck but didn't like it. His Mother's name is Babe and I just couldn't work with it. :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Our first dog Hilton got her name when we cancelled our honeymoon stay at the Fallsview Hilton Hotel in Niagara Falls in favour of getting a puppy.

We chose the name Willard for our Poodle puppy when we cancelled celebrating our second anniversary at the Fallsview Marriott Hotel in Niagara Falls, in order to pick up our puppy. We did not like the name "Marriott" so we chose the middle name of the founder of Marriott International.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
I like Joey. It is a classic hip name for a dog. I could cuddle with a Joey. Also, there is a very lovely rose named “Just Joey.”

·
Registered
476 Posts
RKJ, that is an awesome story. You know a person has priorities if they will cancel a honeymoon in favor of a puppy. I took my dog with me on my first honeymoon, a coast trip in a VW camper van.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Our first dog Hilton got her name when we cancelled our honeymoon stay at the Fallsview Hilton Hotel in Niagara Falls in favour of getting a puppy.

We chose the name Willard for our Poodle puppy when we cancelled celebrating our second anniversary at the Fallsview Marriott Hotel in Niagara Falls, in order to pick up our puppy. We did not like the name "Marriott" so we chose the middle name of the founder of Marriott International.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure Willard agrees...much better than Marriott.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Otter is Otter-Bot and Poodlepants, but is formally known as Saphire Lutra Patronus, Lutra being the scientific name for the otter.

Che was La Dolce Vita, or Marcello, the litter being named for foreign movies. I thought Marcello was too long ,so he became Che or Chelo in the performance ring. I also called him Che-Bird (his mother Rain was called Rain bird by the owner.)
My one litter,parents Dante and Dazzle,. were all "da" names-Dancer, Daquiri, Danica, Dalcyon, Daktari, Dakota.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My Toy poodle is “Rubi”obviously she’s red but it’s also my birthstone so I went with that

·
Registered
17 Posts
Many years ago my husband handed me his winnings from a long shot mare he bet on. He said " Here is the $$$$ for your S.P. puppy.". The mare's name was "Rose Royce". From that time on every pup I registered has had the suffix Rose Royce! I use precious gems or minerals as their first name. Crystal, Sterling, Jade, Ruby, Garnet etc. Now to my last ( I will be 77 yrs old soon) I am going to do my suffix as the prefix! AKC reg. applied for : ROSE ROYCE ROYAL GOLD call name is Goldee.
20200221_101033.jpg

41 - 60 of 60 Posts