Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Buck is named after the canine hero, in Jack London’s “Call of the Wild”. Mostly for sentimental reasons as it was a book my dad read aloud to my sister and me when we were kids. Harrison Ford is in a new movie version of it. Every time I see the trailer, I image Buck in place of the St. Bernard-ish looking star and laughing that none of the scenes would go as planned if he was the lead.
Unfortunately I think Buck the dog is CGI. The commercials clearly show he is not a real dog. Guess they didn't want to spring for a dog trainer!

·
Registered
3 Posts

My gals’ names are Laverne & Shirley!
??????
Like their namesakes, Laverne was a fun-loving, extraordinarily smart and crafty blonde (we lost our beloved gal to a pancreatic insulinoma 4 years ago), while her twin, Shirley — now 14— is an uber-sweet, sensitive, gentle, refined, LOVED-BY-ALL, strikingly beautiful lady.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
View attachment 464553

My gals’ names are Laverne & Shirley!
??????
Like their namesakes, Laverne was a fun-loving, extraordinarily smart and crafty blonde (we lost our beloved gal to a pancreatic insulinoma 4 years ago), while her twin, Shirley — now 14— is an uber-sweet, sensitive, gentle, refined, LOVED-BY-ALL, strikingly beautiful lady.
What adorable names! So very sorry for the loss of Laverne.

·
Registered
583 Posts
So, how did you choose your poodle's name? Does he/she have a formal name? a nickname?
Because when I first got her I decided that I wanted something that was spelled the same way it was said so Evie was origninally spelled EV I also happen to have a great great grandmother who had a toy poodle who was called Evie. Nickname Evie weavy. It just happened no particular reason. Evie's registered name is Evie The Midnights Glory. Because when I first got her was black as night at night, and it also just sounded cool.

I really like Sisko's name I was wondering if it came from Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Because when I first got her I decided that I wanted something that was spelled the same way it was said so Evie was origninally spelled EV I also happen to have a great great grandmother who had a toy poodle who was called Evie. Nickname Evie weavy. It just happened no particular reason. Evie's registered name is Evie The Midnights Glory. Because when I first got her was black as night at night, and it also just sounded cool.

I really like Sisko's name I was wondering if it came from Star Trek Deep Space Nine.
Thank you! Yes, it is? our Aussie's name was Dax?

·
Registered
763 Posts

I really like Evie's name and her full registered name.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Raffi is named for the children's singer that I grew up listening too; also because to me the name evokes a scruffy, Rastafarian kind of image that suits a black poodle- especially since the family has vetoed any fluffy poofy looks for him lol but I like his hair on the longer side. I call him Riff-raff, my dh calls him Mr. Mustachio.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I give my girls Irish names (their call names, not their registred names) to reflect my heritage. One of my girls is named Fallon and the other is Aoibheann (spelled phonetically Aven because no one would be able to pronounce it unless they were familiar with it). Fallon roughly translates to "superiority/descended from a ruler" and Aoibheann roughly translates to "pleasant sheen/radiant beauty". Their registered names include the kennel name of my breeder and then the rest of their registered names took a number of things into consideration when I was deciding on them...the names of the sire and dam, their personalities, the way they arrived here, color, etc.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Oliver was a CL rehome who did not want to lose his first family. I couldn't have taken away his name, too, but luckily love it. We have middle names in our family, so after a few weeks I explained and started saying names out loud, starting with As. Oliver visibly reacted when I got to Andrew, so that was it. He, like his late big brudder kitty did, also has a second but secret middle name.

Oliver's first family never sent in his registration papers, but did give them to me. I worked really hard on coming up with meaningful registered names. There was a Goodnight Loving Trail tie-in I could have made and a really cute CL tie-in name. Then one day, I turned over the reg form and of course his breeder had properly completed it for the first family.

The FF did not want to do a bill of sale or other formal document that I could provide the AKC, so I had no way to register him. He lost out on that. Yes, there are alternate ways to register with AKC, but I was interested in the traditional, and had no plans to compete. He would not have carried the kennel name, however, which in this case would have been just as well.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Hi Baylorbear, I'm on my phone and can't see here if you responded or simply copied my post ?. Please let me know if you have questions.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Pogo is Pogo because he loses his mind and jumps when he is excited. He used to be able to launch himself vertically, all four feet off the ground, over a meter into the air.

Snarky had sub-par dog social skills. He would antagonize other dogs and then expect Pogo to come save his butt.
This is so funny because one of ours can jump straight up like he has springs for legs, and the other one just lacks social skills.:)

·
Registered
522 Posts
All my dogs (other than the rescues) have had the kennel name of their breeder incorporated into their registered name. Having the name of the breeder's kennel makes is ever so much easier to research on OFA or any other dog database. So Zoe is named Donnchada Delightful because her breeder is Betty Brown of Donnchada poodles. When I breed Zoe, her puppies will carry my kennel name (Britan's). I always make sure the rest of the name is nice, too. I got a serious lesson on that many years ago when I had a really nice miniature poodle whose dam was named Missy Tammy Tee Tee!

Call names are another matter entirely. When we have a new animal in our home we try to wait until just the right name comes to us. My Arabian mare was a very special case in point. Her registered name was Gwyndolyn's Dream. Her previous owner called her "Gwynnie" - yuk! Although we could not change her registered name, we finally settled on a call name of Arianna - Ria for short. When her pedigree arrived months later, we discovered that her grand-dam's name was Mata Ria. Amazing coincidence!

A very common naming convention for registered names is to name all the dogs in a litter with the kennel name plus a name beginning with a letter of the alphabet or with a common theme. I had a litter of whippets born on Christmas day; some of their registered names were Britan's Christmas Spirit, Britan's Christmas Kiss, Britan's Jack Frost, etc.
My female’s dam is Patti Pompadoo... I always feel silly writing that on obedience trial registrations?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Love it! That is a catchy name.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We planned on a male to name Joachim and call Jogi. I had only had male dogs before and no experience with females. My uncle is a veterinarian and after observing the puppies’ temperaments, selected a female, so we feminized Jogi to Yoki. I love my tiny girl so much and now couldn’t imagine not having a girl.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts