Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm impressed by the variety of poodle names here. So, how did you choose your poodle's name? Does he/she have a formal name? a nickname?

Our red miniature is Normie. He's named after his breeder (Norm) and Norm Peterson from 'Cheers.' Both are rotund teddy-bear easy-going guys. So far our Normie shares their laid back dispositions.

Officially he's Charming Norman. Unofficially he's often Stormin' Norman.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Merry is short for America. We named her that because she was given freedom from the little chicken coop she was living in at the breeders with her 11 siblings. Our rescue was lucky enough to take in 3 of them and we fell in love with her.

Rose was named by my 7 year old son and it just stuck.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Pogo is Pogo because he loses his mind and jumps when he is excited. He used to be able to launch himself vertically, all four feet off the ground, over a meter into the air.

Snarky had sub-par dog social skills. He would antagonize other dogs and then expect Pogo to come save his butt.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Alfie is named after a previous poodle named Fred. Fred was named for my grandfather, but also because we had another poodle named Mabel. Beautiful Mabel the Governor's Daughter and Fredrick the Pirates' Apprentice are the couple in Pirates of Penzance.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I was trying to come up with something unique for Zekefur. I kept calling him Zeke, and because his fur was way too long when I got him, I jokingly called him "Zeke of fur". I didn't think I would use anything but Zeke, but since then he has always been my Zekefur.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My girl is Lacey for a pretty simple reason. It was the name of my favorite childhood doll. That doll was my kid that went everywhere with me and was my world until I was 12 years old! My mom still has it.

After I brought her home I tried out calling her different names. I liked the name but still wasn’t 100% sure about it. But she seemed so much like a Lacey to me. Plus, poodles have kind of fancy “lacey” hair.

edit: I have lots of nicknames I call her, some don’t make sense. For example— I started calling her Lacey girl, that turned to Lacey birl, that turned to Bacey girl.

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
As I have mentioned before, Princess Beatrice was named by my mom because I always referred to her dog as Princess Grace.
Miss Pia Maria is named so as a nod to my Scandinavian heritage, it's a popular name there.
Mr. Leonard Pink, well I had three names picked for him before I picked him up, but Leonard fit he is named for the heavy metal poodle in Secret Life of Pets, Lenny Brisco, Leonard Nimoy, Leonard Hofstader. I love the name, the Mr. Pink is because he us my first boy and I had fully anticipated getting another girl.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love that you named him after Norm from cheers. You’re dog is such a cutie. He looks like he’d be a sweetheart.
Thanks. As long as we don't get a Cliff we're good. Normie's living up to his name so far.

Pet names are so much fun. I always think of good ones when we don't need them. Then when we have a new pet, I draw a blank.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I’m pretty unoriginal and traditional with names, same with my kids. I guess I’m kind of boring that way!

The two poodle mixes are Max and Lily- nothing original there, but I liked the names. Gracie is pretty common too, but her kennel name is Grace under Fire, which I thought was fitting for an agility prospect.

Misty, the Bichon mix, has the name with the most meaning. It fits her coloring, white with streaks of gray in the ears, a white sable I believe that’s called, But she came to me on an airplane on a Foggy day, so she came out of the mist. It was when I was volunteering in rescue and we worked with people who would use their private planes to transfer dogs from high kill shelters. She was a last minute add on and I was supposed to just foster her. That was eight years ago, lol.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
All my dogs (other than the rescues) have had the kennel name of their breeder incorporated into their registered name. Having the name of the breeder's kennel makes is ever so much easier to research on OFA or any other dog database. So Zoe is named Donnchada Delightful because her breeder is Betty Brown of Donnchada poodles. When I breed Zoe, her puppies will carry my kennel name (Britan's). I always make sure the rest of the name is nice, too. I got a serious lesson on that many years ago when I had a really nice miniature poodle whose dam was named Missy Tammy Tee Tee!

Call names are another matter entirely. When we have a new animal in our home we try to wait until just the right name comes to us. My Arabian mare was a very special case in point. Her registered name was Gwyndolyn's Dream. Her previous owner called her "Gwynnie" - yuk! Although we could not change her registered name, we finally settled on a call name of Arianna - Ria for short. When her pedigree arrived months later, we discovered that her grand-dam's name was Mata Ria. Amazing coincidence!

A very common naming convention for registered names is to name all the dogs in a litter with the kennel name plus a name beginning with a letter of the alphabet or with a common theme. I had a litter of whippets born on Christmas day; some of their registered names were Britan's Christmas Spirit, Britan's Christmas Kiss, Britan's Jack Frost, etc.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The two poodle mixes are Max and Lily- nothing original there, but I liked the names. Gracie is pretty common too, but her kennel name is Grace under Fire, which I thought was fitting for an agility prospect.
I love the name Grace Under Fire! Hope she is an agility star!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks. As long as we don't get a Cliff we're good. Normie's living up to his name so far.

Pet names are so much fun. I always think of good ones when we don't need them. Then when we have a new pet, I draw a blank.

😂 Yes, fingers crossed for no Cliff.
I really like that you started this thread, it’s fun to see how people pick out names.
You’re so right about having name ideas when we don’t need them. I already want to get Lacey a brother but at this point I can’t imagine taking care of a second dog (likely a poodle). I do have a name picked out though.

·
Premium Member
9,243 Posts
Buck is named after the canine hero, in Jack London’s “Call of the Wild”. Mostly for sentimental reasons as it was a book my dad read aloud to my sister and me when we were kids. Harrison Ford is in a new movie version of it. Every time I see the trailer, I image Buck in place of the St. Bernard-ish looking star and laughing that none of the scenes would go as planned if he was the lead.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Thanks Johanna! She’s looking good in agility, but agility aside, she’s my shining star.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Aero’s registered name is Dream On Aerosmith. I gave my husband naming rights after driving me from Texas to Pennsylvania to pick him up.

Dewey’s registered name is Dewey’s Parti Time. Everyone thinks he is named for Melvil Dewey because my daughter is a librarian. Actually his litter was named for the Daffy Duck characters. 😀

1 - 20 of 56 Posts