Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh I do not feel like going to work tomorrow! A post in the human coronavirus thread made me think... this could change everything. Businesses may offer their employees telecommuting a lot more, which will reduce firm costs (maybe offices will be built with far less office space and parking spaces) and maybe that will be passed on to the consumer. More people working from home=less driving, commuting and maybe less emissions. Maybe less tax dollars will have to be spent on transportation and more spent on making neighbourhoods walkable, with outdoor amenities, recreation opportunities and beauty on every block. More people working at home could mean neighbourhoods that are more secure, homes like sanctuaries, designed for comfort and work. Who loves their job? Have you ever considered doing something different? I’m going to bet there will a ton of new opportunities coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Just seeing this thread. I was thinking the other day that if I permanently switch to teleworking, I could live far, far away in a more affordable semi-rural location around the abundance of nature that I miss.
Is that a possibility for you? It's extremely freeing. The only way we were able to move out here, to the Olympic Peninsula, is because I was doing social media work at the time, and my husband works freelance as an artist.

I found this neat little spot on a map, did some research, and we moved out here, across the country, without even visiting first. I'd never even been to Washington before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Being able to work from home is going to be lifechanging for a lot of people, and society as a whole. It's so sad that so many people had to lose their lives for this to be realised.

It should work out better for the environment, and I hope that the inequality & housing situation may even up, with housing near London losing its' comparitive value. (I'm in England)

My job will probably allow me to WFH the majority of the time. This is amazing for me, i had a fairly long commute before and it was honestly ruining my life. Now I have time for hobbies!

Maybe getting myself a poodle is a real option now? It's kind of just been a stupid dream so far, i would have had to pay a dog walker twice a day. Waiting for the 'new normal' to kick in :giggle:.

·
Super Moderator
1,262 Posts
Years ago all of us in our department started asking to be able to work from home. One of the managers made the observation, "If you can work from home, you can work from Bangalore." What he meant by that statement was that the company could decide it was cheaper to replace all of us with equally competent but lower paid workers from another region.

His fears were partially justified, partially not. My job was eventually outsourced to another company. Most of those jobs went to people in other parts of the US. However, the new company is totally fine with people working anywhere they like. They see it as an advantage. Having the team spread across five states means we don't have the whole group going offline due to the same blizzard or hurricane taking out the region's power. The down side for the workers is that they don't get the same level of pay and benefits I got.

Some branches of the company did off-shore workers, with mixed success. The problem with off-shoring to a region in a timezone far different from ours is that we don't get the A-Team. People don't love working midnight to 8 AM. It's usually the junior staff who get stuck with that shift. Additionally, we had a couple off-shore groups go dark when the Covid quarantines started. The business districts in their regions have good Internet connections, but the residential areas don't. When the staff couldn't go into the office they couldn't work.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The province of B.C. is noticing some upsides of forcing people to work from home this spring, like companies are saving tons of money on travel, and even paper. I did a survey today asking for all the ways our business has benefitted—there were a lot of them! Partipeggie that’s so cool! Your photos are gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well, thankfully I do love my job (usually! lol), because one of the few changes is the big upswing in numbers of clients who berate the staff or are otherwise rude and inconsiderate.
I'm a vet tech at a busy, 24 hr vet clinic, we never closed, and obviously can't work from home!
We did have restrictions on what type of appointments we could see for a while, but that has been lifted. Now we just have some protocol changes to help in physical distancing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts