Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I being punked, really? Someone just tell me and it will make it all better!

So we're on the last leg of our bag of Fromm Duck & Sweet Potato with probably a few weeks of it left. All was going well until last week. Tate and TQ loved it, and I was already planning on ordering the Surf & Turf in the next week or so to switch it up (plus, I liked that sample better and so did Tate.)

Well guess what! Mr. Picky Britches aka TATE has refused to eat twice in the last two weeks! I ask him if he is hungry and he gets EXCITED then he sniffs the food, looks at me in disgust, and walks away. Nearly done with the bag of food, and he is already over it! (Yes, yes he is a spoiled brat. :rolffleyes:)

I waited him out the first time, and he ate the next day at dinner (wasn't going to let him go much longer, seeing as he is only 6-7 lbs, he can't really afford to lose weight, especially with our "scare" half a year ago when he got down to 3-4 and couldn't gain.) Tonight the only reason he ate was for fear that TQ was going to sneak and eat his food, so he stood guard for 30 minutes and I guess had had enough of defending then decided to eat. Looked like a little kid being forced to eat cauliflower.

I don't want to give him extras to get him to eat his food, because I don't want him to expect something special each time. Any ideas as to how to get him to stick it out for the rest of this bag???

This snobby food critic dog is killing me! :fish:

EDIT: Totally didn't even read the thread started by Birdie about Desmond! You can ignore this one and continue with your regular programming on that thread! Sounds like we're almost all in the same boat with our picky poodles!

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
How long has the bag been open? One reason I gave up on kibble was that it was always stale before I could finish a bag, and the dogs got less and less enamoured of it. They always loved the nice fresh samples, of course! There are lots of suggestions for improving the taste of kibble on Birdie's Dinner is Boring thread http://www.poodleforum.com/5-poodle-talk/8317-dinner-boring.html

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the link, fjm. I had been loosely following that thread, but haven't been on the computer much this past week.

As for the food:

I don't feed directly from the bag. I pour out enough for a few weeks into an airtight container (that only gets opened at feeding times) and then reseal the bag and put it into a bigger airtight container until needed again.

I do this because I experienced the stale kibble once, and felt terrible for not realizing it sooner. I wouldn't want to eat my meal if every single time it was stale, so I understand neither would they!

The kibble looks just the same and smells the same as it did Day 1. This is, of course, no guarantee that it isn't stale... but the stale food I have encountered in the past seems to lack moisture and smells different than it should.

FJM, if you've given up kibble, what do you feed? Raw? (again, sorry, haha, I haven't been around much... if you've already covered that!) Because I would love to hear from a small dog owner that feeds raw!

EDIT: Totally didn't even read the thread started by Birdie about Desmond! You can ignore this one and continue with your regular programming on that thread! Sounds like we're almost all in the same boat with our picky poodles!

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Yep, it is all there on the dinner thread, Spencer, in full, gory detail!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am so thankful I do not have an issue with my 2, I am very lucky, they even self regulate how much to eat, as I have the bag of Fromms out to where they can get to it :) The kitty is the one I have to watch !

Edit - they don't eat from the bag, it is just not hidden away..I just realized it looked like I was feeding them from a bag.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
ya'll have me interested in fromm's. but the store i buy from doesn't have it.

they have tons of premium feed and my dogs really like wellness and all the profits from their store goes to help with their animal rescue program.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like the Fromm food, and have switched my greyhound to Fromm Gold. He really seems to enjoy it, and at 63-65 pounds, he only eats 3.25 cups a day. Which... In my experience is pretty good. TQ likes everything, so no complaints from her, and up until recently, Tate has thoroughly enjoyed it. He takes no time crunching up his food and making sure he gets every last bite!.

They only have a few flavors that are grain free, but even their regular foods are worth it. Something about them just feels... Well... sincere! I wrote them a letter telling them how happy I was and got a real response from a real person, which was also nice.

Fromm has been the only food I can find that will keep Tate at weight - long story short, we think he is allergic to chicken, lamb and possibly beef and were told to try other forms of meat like duck, venison, and rabbit... Other foods have made him sick in the past (all wonderfully detailed and posted on the PF!) But Tate immediately liked the Fromm, and wouldn't you know it, gobbled up his breakfast this morning. As far as kibble goes, I think I am sticking with Fromm. They are reasonably priced, and I get the 40 pound breeder bag of Gold for 40 bucks! I think Surf & Turf is 55 for a 30something pound bag, and the duck is less. Now, I do have to drive about 15 minutes to a po-dunk town to buy it, as the boarding place that has it is the only place in my whole state that sells it... but I would still say worth it!

Fromm has a dealer locator on their site, so you can find out!

Haha, I didn't get paid for that plug, either!

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Of course not, though there are lots of people on here far more experienced with raw feeding than I am. Perhaps not quite so many feeding raw to toys, of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts