Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inside of my house is setup like baby central, sans the baby. Gates and fences everywhere. Covers on the outlets because Jas likes to randomly lick them and got shocked once. (Duh?!) When not crated, tethered to me, or with us in a room, he's gated in the kitchen.

I'm sitting at my desk in the living room and all of a sudden I hear a cabinet door banging. The lower cabinets have knobs. Jasper has figured out how to open the cabinet doors this morning. He's been amusing himself by opening, closing, opening, closing the doors. If that weren't enough he's now discovered how to pull out the roller trays. He singlehandedly unloaded the tupperware containers and lids. Why is it that everyone in this house can get things out, but no one puts anything away :p??

So, I get that he's bored. He's soooooo smart and always trying to figure things out. I spend nearly ALL day with him. We walk 4 miles, play fetch at the park, and we train for at least 1/2 hour (obedience and/or handling). We go to handling class once a week, and he's being shown every other weekend. He gets crate time, he gets kitchen time, and he gets family time. I've even bought puzzle games for him.

He is NOT destructive, nor is he hyper, but his mind is constantly working. He watches everything to figure it out and then wants to try it himself. (including wanting to push the water and ice buttons on the fridge!!) What the heck do you do with a dog whose mind never shuts off?! At times he exhausts me LOL.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am sorry I have no advice. As soon as I figure out how to get people to put stuff away in my house I will let you know ;)

Good luck

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but a friend of mine had a Boxer pup who was equally inquisitive and busy. She had videos playing on her TV all day long of different kinds of animals, romping and making their various sounds. Belle, the Boxer pup, would sit and watch them! She'd sometimes jump up at the TV screen. Unbelievable!

My friend also left a lot of treat-filled toys hidden around her family room so Belle would play "hide and seek." She also rotated (changed) Belle's toys stash twice a day! Between us, I know poodles are way smarter than Boxers, so I don't know if any of this will help distract or occupy Jas, but I for one get a kick out of you having such a "smarty pants"! Good luck! I wish you patience and maybe an extra set of eyes behind your head so you can keep up with him!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Aww the joys of poodle ownership lol! I call it poodleland - and yes they are exceptionally smart I think. Such explorers and Suri can squeeze herself in the smallest places until she retrieves the prize lol! Jasper certainly does have a busy routine - good for you!! I wish I could do all that HAHA!

Hide and Seek is good - all that takes is hiding his favorite toy and you can sit back and watch!:)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I love how imaginitive Jas is! But, that has got to be a handful and a half for you.
Have you tried any of the puzzle toys? Lacey has several puzzle toys that will entertain her for quite a while. I only get them out one at a time. Every time one comes out she gets excited and will entertain herself the entire time she has it. Then I put it away for next time.
You are putting some amazing work into Jas. Maybe a puzzle toy would give you a break while still keeping his brain busy :)
Apparently I missed the part where you said "I even bought puzzle games for him" the first time I read it. I, obviously, am not a poodle :D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Jas sounds like a going concern! Have you tried big chew bones/ raw marrow? They find dealing with a big marrow bone that requires lots of chewing and licking pretty tiring. Another fun game to stretch the mind is human hide and seek. You could get your son hiding and Jas has to find him. The only other thing I can think of is a big Kong stuffed with treats and frozen so he has to work to get them out.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I couldn't help myself. I literrally laughed out loud while reading your thread. You have a good way with words!

He is obviously a very smart poodle but the off side of that, as with a gifted child, is that they never seem to be satisfied and have to keep exploring. I have not had an experience like yours so I cannot offer helpful advice. But, I too wish you much patience and I like Cdnjennga's advice for keeping him occupied.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Both Keelyn and Ginger have figured out that dropping a ball from the top step will make it bounce all the way down then they can chase it, retrieve it, come back up and start all over again. They do it when bored and when they get tired they quit. They don't do it together but individually when needed! I'd put those child tamper hooks on those cupboard doors & some old tupperware inside and leave them unlatched sometimes so Jas can play when you are ok with it. Sounds like you've got your hands full trying to stay ahead of such a smarty pants, it also sound like hard work but it sure makes me laugh!!! Ginger seems to have lots of curiousity and energy but has been quite so imaginative, she just uses Keelyn and the cat Butch for the most part. Maybe flyball???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, and here I thought it was just me going through this! His brother Murphy is into everything! I keep trying to remember if Teddy was this busy, but geez! Murphy is into everything! No matter how much exercise I give him, I can never wear him out. But I have found his weakness, I buy the natural bones from Merrick and he goes crazy for them. Hours of endless chewing!

I take Murphy everywhere with me, and since I work at home this helps so much. I only have my living room and the downstairs family room closed off with gates. Maybe Jas needs a little more room?

I am able to wear him out if I turn the sprinkler on out back. He is obsessed with the sprinkler and my swimming pool. He will poodle pounce the sprinkler all day if I let him.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
When I first started reading, it honestly thought you were talking about a toddler. I remember my kids with the tupperware and lids, etc. But then realized its your dog. I remember being so exhusted from constantly entertainig my first child who was gifted, I used to put her in her room, pull the shades, put on white noise and let her stay in the crib till she either fell asleep or I felt re-energized.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts