Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gracie loves to retrieve a ball. She also loves the water. So, we have a collection of balls that float in the water for her to play with at the lake.

My Covid brain brought the wrong ball to the beach yesterday, and it was not a floating ball, what a transgression! Not realizing, I threw it out in the water and it sank like a lead weight, in about two feet of water. Gracie ran out and then just stared at the water where it sank.

I was going to pick it out of the water for her and my husband said “let’s see what she does.” It was very interesting. She stood and looked at it for a few minutes then started pawing at it under the water to bring it to her. She brought it a little closer and then just decided to dive in and get it!

We had a such fun the rest of the evening throwing it and watching her dive in to get it. Me, the worry wart, wondered if she might develop water intoxication, so I mixed it up with some dry throws, but she really enjoyed diving for it. We saw the bubbles coming out as she learned to exhale as she did it.

Here’s a few pics, first of her trying to figure it out and pulling it to her, then of her deciding to throw caution to the wind and just dive in to get it. She had a ball (pun intended) and it was hilarious to watch.

Of course that’s all in between rolling in dead snails and eating goose poop. She clearly did not get the message that poodles are frou frou dogs, my husband likes to call her the French Labrador. I, being of German heritage, remind him poodles are retrievers in their own right and the Germans actually developed them!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
That’s really cute and great mental work! Poodles are so smart. My golden retriever also loves to dive for balls. She used to retriever rocks when she was younger, but I put a stop to that because of her teeth.

·
Registered
566 Posts
What fun! Did you know dogs can actually smell underwater? They have a something in the roofs of their mouths called a Jacobs Organ that passes scent particles from water in their mouths up into the olfactory lobe. So you could throw a stick into the lake and your dog could dive down and locate that stick by smell and bring it back, same as she would on dry land. With her ball she probably didn't need to, but she could have. Dogs are so amazing!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pytheis, I have heard of dogs retrieving rocks, and eating rocks, but never actually seen it. Hopefully Miss Grace will not expand to rocks, I can see why you put a stop to it! She does like sticks.
Raven, I had no idea dogs could smell under water! They really are amazing animals. Gracie has a lot of very instinctual behaviors, more so than most of my other dogs. There is also a very big personality in that 15 lb body!

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Clever Gracie!!!!! I love those moments when you can see their clever brains figuring though a problem. What a fun game.

I did that with Annie once. She turned, looked at me, and said "the ball is dead, human, the water ate it", and walked away, pulling as far away from the water as possible, telling me it was time to leave. To be fair to Annie, she loves her ball but retrieving one even at the surface of the water near shore was a big stretch for her, and it's a big step for her to even put her toes in!

·
Premium Member
3,972 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful time for Gracie. Asta wouldn't do anything like that - he doesn't like water at all and he will not retrieve a ball at all. He does play with his toys and performs a retrieves with a command. He knows the difference betwrrn play and commands that help me with my bipolar disorder.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forwantofpoodle, that is too funny! I can totally picture a poodle indignantly walking away thinking the water swallowed the ball!

Dogs for life- it was a very fun day. She has such a neat personality, and the retriever roots are very dominant in her.

Asta’s mom, they are all so different, aren’t they? The only other dog I’ve had that would retrieve like this in the water was a golden retriever. That’s good that Asta performs service duties, that’s a whole different skill set, and quite wonderful.

Raindrops, she loves the hexagon ball, but alas, they do not float! Not sure why I thought it would.

·
Super Moderator
3,694 Posts
Sooo cute! I love how she paused to figure it out. That's definitely a poodley thing to do.

Peggy's been blowing bubbles in her water bowl since we first brought her home. And she's also very much into retrieving rocks, which was totally my fault. I used to pile them up in her kiddie pool when she was just a few months old. What was I thinking??? Now she doesn't understand why the humans insist on putting a stop to her rock collecting.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I love the French Labrador remark, or more correctly German Labrador. 😂

Smart girl, and it looks like she had a wonderful day retrieving.

Not quite the same, but I once tossed Babykins treat into a very full water bowl by accident and decided to see what she would do. Like Gracie, she stopped a second to problem solve, then dunked her head in to get it.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Muggles, she is a clever girl for sure!

Peggy, That is funny! Gracie has been “swimming” in her water bowl too since we brought her home. With four dogs in the house, we do need a big bowl. Just when I think she’s outgrown it, she drenches the floor again, but it’s more a furious shoveling all the water out of the bowl, not so much blowing bubbles. Of course, now that she’s developed the skill....

Skylar, German Labrador for sure. My husband gets a kick out of her. I think the treat in the water is the same kind of skill!

Fenris-wolf, that ball is one of her favorites! Of course an empty soda bottle is just as appealing.

·
Super Moderator
3,694 Posts
Fenris-wolf, that ball is one of her favorites! Of course an empty soda bottle is just as appealing.
Then I bet she'd love this one! One of Peggy's favourites, which she's surprisingly not managed to destroy. The inner ball is flattened, but it still makes that satisfying soda bottle crunch sound.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Then I bet she'd love this one! One of Peggy's favourites, which she's surprisingly not managed to destroy. The inner ball is flattened, but it still makes that satisfying soda bottle crunch sound.

PtP, do you think Sisko might like this ball too🤔? He's not really a ball dog, but he will play with his hexagon ball sometimes.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Peggy, and it’s on sale! I’m going to try that ball, thanks!
Fenris wolf, for that price, it’s worth a try!

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Peggy, and it’s on sale! I’m going to try that ball, thanks!
Fenris wolf, for that price, it’s worth a try!
Definitely! At the very least, it's a fine ball for fetch. But Peggy also loves working it with her jaws to get that good crunch.
If you're wondering about which size to get, here's Peggy with the large, with a tennis ball for comparison.

View attachment 467108
Okay, thanks guys!! I will get a large for him and see how he likes it. Is Chewy just having a huge sale right now😨??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts