Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body else’s poodle yodel? Gracie doesn’t do it often but it is definitely a yodel. Right up there with a hound type voice.

Her breeder remarked that I should name her after an opera singer as she has quite a singing voice, and it didn’t take long to see what she meant!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Do you have a sound / video clip? I don’t really know what a yodelling dog sounds like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t, I’ll have to get one! But I did a quick search and apparently it is a thing. Here’s a you tube link.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Yes.

If you want to hear your poodle yodel try singing Der Hölle Rache', this is the famous aria that the Queen of the Night sings in Mozart’s The Magic Flute or listen to Diana Damrau who is amazing singing this aria.

I find singing the high notes live, even if you can’t hit them, is most effective.

Edited to add if your dog doesn’t yodel, they will howl or make other funny sounds.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Snarky and Pogo would howl when they got excited. Face to face, noses pointed at the sky, playing off each other's harmonics, full throated howls. A northern breed or a hound could probably have done it better, but it was a pretty good singing effort for a breed that isn't known for the trait.

Sniff. It's not the same around here with Snarky gone. I've only heard Pogo howl once since then. I guess he decided it was no fun without being able to harmonize with his brother.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Any body else’s poodle yodel? Gracie doesn’t do it often but it is definitely a yodel.
I don’t know if I’d call it yodeling, but Zekefur can’t bark like a dog lol. He’ll give a woof or two, and then starts “wooo-woooing”. It is a lot like an opera singer. He can yip, but not bark like a real dog. It’s super silly, and annoying, all at the same time. People outside the condo make fun of him all the time and just “wooo” right back. And that... makes him do it more and louder.
Don’t know what’s wrong with my dog :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:, but he didn’t even know how to jump up on a couch until he was barely shy of a year old.

·
Registered
147 Posts
We call Alfie's howl a yodel. He likes to go outside at night and threaten the coyotes. He weighs 42lbs soaking wet and his bravado is misplaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts