Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just clipped Poppy again - she was very good except for front feet, and looks decidedly better than my last attempt. I took too much off the legs (or rather off one leg then had to trim the others to match) but I keep repeating the mantra - "It is hair, it will grow again!".

I am quite pleased with her head except that I don't seem to get enough definition between her topknot and her ears. I'll try and get batteries into my camera and post a photo but is there a line (eg level with the eye) I should be aiming for? I am so worried about loosing some of her lovely ear fluff I think I leave too much, and lose the shape.

She is definitely getting lighter - still very red, but moving towards red-gold - and her coat does seem to be getting slightly more like an adult poodle rather than puppy-fluff. I really must get some decent clippers and blades - although one advantage of my cheapo Wahl set is they are so slow the housing heats up way before the blades. I did end up with blood everywhere at one point - sign of a loving dog owner that I was hugely relieved to realise it was mine not Poppy's - I tore my finger on the edge of the blade pulling a comb off.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
ouch! hope the finger is OK.

i'm not much help being a poodle greenie too- my sugestion would be to find a head shot from the front of a topknot/ear that you LOVE and try to replicate that. personally i like it blended right into the ear... some people like more of a 'knot' with the ear seperate.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks neVar - finger stung for a while, but should be healed by the morning. Good idea on looking for pictures - I have seen some styles that look great on the dogs that have them, but simply would not suit Poppy. I think I shall have a go tidying up the line from her eye to above her ear in the morning, and have a go at neatening her feet and tummy at the same time - we have both decided we have done enough for one day (and it's all vacuumed and tidy, so I don't want to start spreading fluff again just yet!).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts