Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I know that we have several discussions on the harnesses. I think i browsed them all, but still are confused on what harness to get. I already got five of them and not happy. Ruger either out-rite hates them or manages to get under the front and chew it, or they move around, or they are horrible difficult to adjust and put on etc.....
I found few more online and really hope to get some feed-back from this group, or perhaps recommend a better option.

The first one is the Harness Lead polyester no pull : HARNESS LEAD Polyester No Pull Dog Harness, Black, Small/Medium - Chewy.com

The second is Freedom no pull (I believe it was recommended in one of the threads here): 2 HOUNDS DESIGN Freedom No Pull Nylon Dog Harness & Leash, Teal, X-Small: 15 to 20-in chest, 5/8-in wide - Chewy.com

The third is an adjustable harness from Orvis (looks a bit like the freedom) :Personalized Adjustable Dog Harness - Orvis

And the last one is also from Orvis, the easy step in: Easy Step-in Harness - Orvis

It was a haqihana harness recommended in one of the threads, but I was not able to find a retailer for it.

Really appreciate an advice.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The step in harnesses have always been SO hard for me to get on my dogs. I prefer ones that completly come apart.

The two hounds design looks nice, it has buckles on both sides, which is SO useful..

the leash that comes with it is confusing though, I do not like front clips. They can cause joint issues.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I really like the 2 Hounds Freedom harness for my 5-month old mini-poo. It comes with a unique leash that simultaneously clips to the front and the middle of the back, which is like a martingale collar. The combination is pretty effective in stopping pulling, but I can't use it with Topper's winter jacket, so we just use the front clip - also pretty good at stopping pulling. In warmer weather I can use just the back clip or both clips. One really cool thing about this harness is that I can clip the leash to the front while we walk to the park, then move it to the back and snap on my extra leash (coiled handily in our treat pouch) to give Topper more freedom for Sniffaris. As Ava noted, the buckles on both sides are very handy. The harness is easy to put on my pup - it slips over his head, rather than him having to step into it. Also, the strap that goes under his chest is lined with velveteen or some other very soft fabric. I got it on Chewy in bright blue, which looks great on my pup.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would suggest nothing with a straight front, it causes joint issues, and restricts gait. -

and nothing with a front clip, it causes joint issues

You should be looking with a y-front harness.. especially for a puppy.

·
Registered
532 Posts
We have a front clip in a medium (link below). I didn't spend too much time researching or nit-picking all the options for "the best" or perfect. I just need something that works.

i went to my independent pet store, said "my furbaby swings from this top clip harness like a swing at the amusement park. Using a collar isn't an option because she's dumb and I'm afraid she might hurt her esophagus.". So, this is what we have been using:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I really like the 2 Hounds Freedom harness for my 5-month old mini-poo.
PowersPup, I also have a mini and he is 4.5 month old. What size Freedom harness did you get? To me it looked like I should get the x-small, but I am not sure. His chest is 16.5, so the Small looks to big for him. I am just not sure if the size chart is accurate.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Normie and I are both happy with the Kurgo harness that I bought based on recommendations here.

Granted, it took me a while to learn to use it, but it's safe for both walking and in the car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Normie and I are both happy with the Kurgo harness that I bought based on recommendations here.

Granted, it took me a while to learn to use it, but it's safe for both walking and in the car.
I have the Kurgo harness, but was not able to make it comfortable enough for Ruger so he stops fighting it. Feels really hard. Sure I am doing something wrong - it has really god reviews.

·
Registered
95 Posts
PowersPup, I also have a mini and he is 4.5 month old. What size Freedom harness did you get? To me it looked like I should get the x-small, but I am not sure. His chest is 16.5, so the Small looks to big for him. I am just not sure if the size chart is accurate.
I got the X-small. Topper's girth/chest measurement is about 14 1/2 inches, and he's about 11 inches tall. I have the harness adjusted as small as it can get, so there's plenty of room for him to grow into it comfortably.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have the Kurgo harness, but was not able to make it comfortable enough for Ruger so he stops fighting it. Feels really hard. Sure I am doing something wrong - it has really god reviews.
My biggest problem was getting it on a squirmy puppy and remembering how tab A goes into slot B. Then Normie got older and calmed down and I finally caught on what goes where. I've adjusted the fit as he's grown. He's always so happy to be going somewhere that he doesn't seem to be unhappy with the harness.

He wears his outerwear on cold days the same way. "Just get it on me lady; I have plans!"

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My biggest problem was getting it on a squirmy puppy and remembering how tab A goes into slot B. Then Normie got older and calmed down and I finally caught on what goes where. I've adjusted the fit as he's grown. He's always so happy to be going somewhere that he doesn't seem to be unhappy with the harness.

He wears his outerwear on cold days the same way. "Just get it on me lady; I have plans!"
I still have this harness. It is in the x-small size but should still feet him. I will try one more time :sleep:.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the X-small. Topper's girth/chest measurement is about 14 1/2 inches, and he's about 11 inches tall. I have the harness adjusted as small as it can get, so there's plenty of room for him to grow into it comfortably.
Ruger is a bit larger then Topper, but still within the x-small. Looks like he is going to be larger then the mini standards and can outgrow the x-small, but I can get a bigger one later if he likes the harness. My daughter thinks that this little dog wrapped me around his little fingers, the same way as my grandchildren did 🥰. I probably have to be a bit more stern with his 'like/do not like' behavior.

·
Super Moderator
2,270 Posts
I think it will depend a bit on the size and shape of your dog. I had to constantly adjust and replace harnesses as the dogs grew, even into their middle aged spread years. Am I remembering correctly that Ruger is a mini puppy who will probably go over size?

I started Galen, who was a runty standard puppy, in a size small Kurgo Tru-Fit Harness. It was definitely stiff when we first got it, and it required some breaking in. He was not happy about wearing it initially, but he was easily distracted by all the other fun stuff we did when he was outside wearing it. What I liked about this model is that I could drop it over his head, run the chest strap between his legs, and quickly click the two clips shut. I was also able to adjust it as he grew. Of course at about the point when it was fully broken in he outgrew it completely. :cautious: I put him in Pogo's size medium Kurgo harness; that model isn't available anymore.

Once Galen outgrew the medium harness I put him in a Front Range Harness from Ruffwear. Like his original Kurgo, it is very easy to put on. I just drop it over his head, run the chest strap between his legs, and click the sides. Also like the Kurgo, it has some adjustability in the straps. What I don't like about it is that the chest piece has a soft and very slightly nubbly lining. It seems to be contributing to some armpit matting (although Galen would be matting anyhow; he's at that age.)

When Pogo was young I used the EasyWalk harness Basil mentioned. I eventually stopped using it because Pogo grew to a size where it was simply impossible to fit him. A harness big enough to fit around his ribs would flop annoyingly loose on his chest. Adding to the sloppy chest fit, the front strap had a tendency to slide slide through the adjustment buckles when Pogo pulled hard.

I had slightly better luck with the PetSafe 3 in 1 harness. I was, at least, able to adjust to to where it actually fit Pogo's deep but narrow chest. It did have a bit of a tendency to slide when I used the front loop, but I don't think anything would have stayed in place with Pogo's manic I-want-that-squirrel outbursts. We are still using it on Galen now. The thing I don't like about this harness is that it is really confusing to put on when all the clips are undone. What goes where? It would have been easier if they used different sized or colored clips. Maybe I will get around to color coordinating the clips with dots of nail polish.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have free harness opinions. My mini is on the smaller side, about 12 inches.

I tried the Kurgo. It was too broad in the front chest piece for comfortable walking. Still good for car safety.

I have an old y-harness in light blue that I use for scent work. It’s easy to remember her scent work fashion: grab the blue harness. Some scent work people believe that always wearing the same harness helps the dog be oriented to their job. I recently considered getting a harness with a handle on the back for that brief three seconds where I restrain her before saying “search” and releasing her. My trainer laughed at this idea because she’s only 11 lbs. I was encouraged to keep minimal equipment weight on her for her comfort. 😄

Collar fashion harness: a black y-front harness that is adjustable in several places so she can wear it with a full coat or a shaved down Miami. Violet is black, and this harness is hard to see on her which makes a fancy rhinestone collar really pop out. Poodles look awesome in fancy collars, but you don’t always want to hook a leash to them. This hot tip is for all the budding fashionista’s out there.

Harnesses I would consider if buying today:
Whitepine Outfitters Y harness, because the soft material used is gentle on poodle hair.
Hurrta Y harness, because I love Hurrta products. Very well made. Not as adjustable as some other harnesses so perhaps best purchased for adult dogs.
½" Mini Soft Web™ Non-Restrictive Tracking Harness — White Pine Outfitters | Quality Dog Gear | Conformation Show Working Obedience Training | Soft Web™ Soft Slip™ Soft Snap™ | Fur Saving Martingale Collars Leads Leashes Harnesses | High Sierra Walk-A-Belt™

HURTTA Casual Reflective Dual Clip Dog Y-Harness, Ash, 35 to 39-in chest - Chewy.com

Other fashion considerations: if you are pairing a harness with a raincoat or sweater then give some though to where the D ring of the harness is compared to where the leash opening on the garment is. Especially if you hope to own just one harness-otherwise it is just an excuse to buy another harness. It is nice to have this all figured out before monsoon season.
C54A0048-21C0-4D0A-B55D-196288018042.jpeg C685B626-8E5C-4D76-9313-9A7676388B29.jpeg 04C93943-CCE6-442C-9400-C34EDB3C5F3A.jpeg

Reactions: cowpony

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have free harness opinions. My mini is on the smaller side, about 12 inches.

I tried the Kurgo. It was too broad in the front chest piece for comfortable walking. Still good for car safety.

I have an old y-harness in light blue that I use for scent work. It’s easy to remember her scent work fashion: grab the blue harness. Some scent work people believe that always wearing the same harness helps the dog be oriented to their job. I recently considered getting a harness with a handle on the back for that brief three seconds where I restrain her before saying “search” and releasing her. My trainer laughed at this idea because she’s only 11 lbs. I was encouraged to keep minimal equipment weight on her for her comfort. 😄

Collar fashion harness: a black y-front harness that is adjustable in several places so she can wear it with a full coat or a shaved down Miami. Violet is black, and this harness is hard to see on her which makes a fancy rhinestone collar really pop out. Poodles look awesome in fancy collars, but you don’t always want to hook a leash to them. This hot tip is for all the budding fashionista’s out there.

Harnesses I would consider if buying today:
Whitepine Outfitters Y harness, because the soft material used is gentle on poodle hair.
Hurrta Y harness, because I love Hurrta products. Very well made. Not as adjustable as some other harnesses so perhaps best purchased for adult dogs.
½" Mini Soft Web™ Non-Restrictive Tracking Harness — White Pine Outfitters | Quality Dog Gear | Conformation Show Working Obedience Training | Soft Web™ Soft Slip™ Soft Snap™ | Fur Saving Martingale Collars Leads Leashes Harnesses | High Sierra Walk-A-Belt™

HURTTA Casual Reflective Dual Clip Dog Y-Harness, Ash, 35 to 39-in chest - Chewy.com

Other fashion considerations: if you are pairing a harness with a raincoat or sweater then give some though to where the D ring of the harness is compared to where the leash opening on the garment is. Especially if you hope to own just one harness-otherwise it is just an excuse to buy another harness. It is nice to have this all figured out before monsoon season.
View attachment 473773 View attachment 473778 View attachment 473779
Thank you for the pictures and sharing your harness experience. Your dog is super cute.
I tried the soft harness but Ruger found a way to chew it on the front. Hurta looks good - will keep it in mind for when he is older.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it will depend a bit on the size and shape of your dog. I had to constantly adjust and replace harnesses as the dogs grew, even into their middle aged spread years. Am I remembering correctly that Ruger is a mini puppy who will probably go over size?

I started Galen, who was a runty standard puppy, in a size small Kurgo Tru-Fit Harness. It was definitely stiff when we first got it, and it required some breaking in. He was not happy about wearing it initially, but he was easily distracted by all the other fun stuff we did when he was outside wearing it. What I liked about this model is that I could drop it over his head, run the chest strap between his legs, and quickly click the two clips shut. I was also able to adjust it as he grew. Of course at about the point when it was fully broken in he outgrew it completely. :cautious: I put him in Pogo's size medium Kurgo harness; that model isn't available anymore.

Once Galen outgrew the medium harness I put him in a Front Range Harness from Ruffwear. Like his original Kurgo, it is very easy to put on. I just drop it over his head, run the chest strap between his legs, and click the sides. Also like the Kurgo, it has some adjustability in the straps. What I don't like about it is that the chest piece has a soft and very slightly nubbly lining. It seems to be contributing to some armpit matting (although Galen would be matting anyhow; he's at that age.)

When Pogo was young I used the EasyWalk harness Basil mentioned. I eventually stopped using it because Pogo grew to a size where it was simply impossible to fit him. A harness big enough to fit around his ribs would flop annoyingly loose on his chest. Adding to the sloppy chest fit, the front strap had a tendency to slide slide through the adjustment buckles when Pogo pulled hard.

I had slightly better luck with the PetSafe 3 in 1 harness. I was, at least, able to adjust to to where it actually fit Pogo's deep but narrow chest. It did have a bit of a tendency to slide when I used the front loop, but I don't think anything would have stayed in place with Pogo's manic I-want-that-squirrel outbursts. We are still using it on Galen now. The thing I don't like about this harness is that it is really confusing to put on when all the clips are undone. What goes where? It would have been easier if they used different sized or colored clips. Maybe I will get around to color coordinating the clips with dots of nail polish.
Thank you Cowpony. Great advise as always.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just tried the Kurgo one more time. He is older now then when I got it and the harness fits him much better. There is not too much room to grow in it, so I will order a freedom harness in the size up. I like that it has clips on the back and front. perhaps it will help with the leash walking training. Good Luck to Me ;)

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
88 Posts
We picked up a very simple step in harness for Winnie before we even brought her home. It took us a bit to figure out how to easily get it on her and now at 4 months she literally lifts her paws to help. We can only use it for trips outdoors though. She is insistent on grabbing the strap on her chest no matter how snug and she gets stuck. I know in time that will stop but for now we do what we need to do. The harness is necessary while we continue to work on 'leave it' and 'drop it' when we're out in the yard. She is a crazy scavenger and will pick up anything she finds. Ohhhhh puppy hood is so much fun!😊💕

1 - 20 of 23 Posts