Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have had a ton of questions about colours. So here's another one. :)

Can two black parents produce a blue? I'm becoming more and more convinced that Darcy is in fact a blue. He has a brownish tinge to his coat, and his face when freshly shaven on Sunday has a greyish tinge. Or is it possible at 15 weeks that he is already a bad black?

Photo showing him freshly shaven on Sunday (this photo does make him slightly more brown looking than he is in person). I will try to put up some others that more accurately reflect his colour.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He still looks black to me :) Vegas had/has the same thing, he's still black at 6months.
Yeah, maybe it's just the super close shave on his face that makes his nose look greyish? He looked more black when he had longer hair on his nose.

Poodle colours confuse me!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I don't know anything about color genetics, but he's a photo of Jager with a shaved face around the same age:

Oh squeeeee! Looking at this photo makes me realize how BIG he's gotten!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Oh, I just had a thought. You said your breeder did the groom, right? Did she use a 40 blade on his face? That would make it ultra short and maybe cause it to look light because of his lighter skin showing through?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I just had a thought. You said your breeder did the groom, right? Did she use a 40 blade on his face? That would make it ultra short and maybe cause it to look light because of his lighter skin showing through?
I think that's exactly it. Today it's already starting to look more black, it must have just been because of how close the shave was!

·
Registered
681 Posts
My breeder/groomer does a SUPER close shave on Captain when he goes in. After about a week his face starts looking black again instead of a silver/grey color because it's pretty close to the skin when I bring him home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts