Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we said goodbye to a most beautiful soul. Iris was not sick...at all. At bedtime Monday night she was silly and funny and reminding Bruce that she MUST have her night time cookie. She even asked for a 2nd one. Yesterday morning at 6:30 am, Josh got up and let her out with Journey and Pearl and he said she seemed fine. Bruce got up at 7 am and Iris was laying on the cold floor in the kitchen, which is not like her at all. She has always been a warmth and comfort freak, so loved the dog beds and being covered with a blankie. I got up at 8 am and she was still there. I asked the guys what was up and they had no idea. So we carried her over to the big cushy bed by the dishwasher and covered her up with her fluffy pink blanket and I watched her like a hawk. She was totally unfocused. She did not seem to realize I was looking in her face or speaking to her. As the day progressed her breathing changed and I knew it was just a matter of time. At 3 pm her breathing went from rapid and frequent to shallow and less often. At 3:10 I told Bruce to call Josh and the three of us laid around her on the floor telling her we loved her and that is was ok to let go. And at 3:18 she was gone. I have always prayed this is how my dogs would leave this earth- in their own home, surrounded by everything familiar and comfortable and with their beloved humans and playmates and not in ANY pain. Just be at peace and slip away. She never gave me a moment of trouble and even her death was as I wished it. I know it will bring me immense peace in the days and weeks to come. Right now though my heart is aching so hard.

We left her on the bed for two hours before we buried her so the crew here, who she welcomed into our home and lives, could say goodbye to her and come to terms with the fact that their buddy was gone.

I cannot tell you how sorely she will be missed. She is one of the last connections in my dog pack to my Mom. Mom helped me grieve my first heart dog- my Whippet Asia, and four days later came with us while we went to Jenny McCartney's home to meet the wee striped firecracker. And Mom convinced me it was ok she was a she, and that she did not look anything like Asia (who was honey and white and had no brindle on him at all)... her opinion was that if she looked like him or was a boy, I might always compare that puppy to Asia, and she was so right. We just accepted this joyous little girl for who she was. She saved my sanity and helped me through the loss of my boy and brought us 14 years of unconditional love, immense pleasure, so many smiles and belly laughs. What a blessing it has been to know and love this beautiful soul for 14 years. She was the first dog Bruce and I bought as a couple, she has welcomed every dog born in this house, every dog we have brought in and loved them all.

Iris...you were a gift. We are grateful we had the opportunity to love you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
so sorry. thank you for the moving tribute. i'm glad she went peacefully, surrounded by those she loved and who loved her.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is her precious son Wiz today. The dogs know. He is rather subdued. But goodness, he is handsome!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
I’m so sorry (((Hugs)))

It was wonderful to read how you were able to see Iris off to the rainbow bridge at home peacefully.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Cherie I know your hearts hurt and that you will miss her terribly, but Iris had a grace filled passing, surrounded by her people and in her loving home. You all gave great gifts to each other yesterday.

·
Premium Member
15,348 Posts
I am so sorry, it is never easy. But there must be some comfort in such a gentle, easy passing - no pain, no long, slow decline, just falling asleep surrounded by the familiar comfort and love of home.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.