Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been covered here before, but it wasn't an easy search :act-up:

I can not believe how many people ask me what kind of puppy Pixie is...then are like "Oh, you mean she's a REAL poodle?" Like shock and awe that we went with a POODLE instead of a DOODLE.

It happens every time I take her out, like people have never even considered a pup from the best breed ever :angel:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yep, it is very very sad but since doodles must outnumber poodles by an astronomical number now poodles are becoming more and more uncommon. Thank heavens for all the good breeders out there trying to preserve our wonderful breed!!! Virtually every person that I tell “She’s a standard poodle.” Immediately says to me “she’s so big!!” (Even though she is moderately sized at 23-24 inches at the shoulder.) It’s as if people don’t know that poodles exist beyond toy poodles. I feel like I can do my part by bringing her around as many people as possible and just telling them she is a standard poodle. Hopefully their brains will connect how smart and beautiful she is to what a poodle should be and perhaps someone will re think a doodle decision.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Virtually every person that I tell “She’s a standard poodle.” Immediately says to me “she’s so big!!” (Even though she is moderately sized at 23-24 inches at the shoulder.) It’s as if people don’t know that poodles exist beyond toy poodles.
My one neighbor gave me the "Are you sure that's a poodle? He's so big." Apparently he grew up with a pair of poodles, but they were quite a bit smaller than my big (62 lb) boy.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Doodles are more common now than a purebred poodle. I remembered going to a vet in the city and he said it’s been eons since he saw a purebred poodle, they get a doodle several times a week! Lol

I was in a hardware store with Milo, the girl at the cash was swooning over Milo. All cute then she said, she has never seen a mini goldendoodle, my kids corrected her and said he is a purebred mini poodle. I kid you not, she said, milo must have gotten the colour genes from a doodle.even my kids laughed and shook their head.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My one neighbor gave me the "Are you sure that's a poodle? He's so big." Apparently he grew up with a pair of poodles, but they were quite a bit smaller than my big (62 lb) boy.
People keep confusing Pixie for a full grown toy but then I say she's a baby mini and they say WOW so big! lol. Poor misunderstood poodles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A colleague was also arguing with me the other day about his springerdoodle being better for allergies than my poodle? HUH? His wife is very allergic and this works for her. It's like no matter how many times I say I can not handle ANY cross people fight me on it. Hey I know my body! I've even had a few small reactions to Pixie (when she's scratched my neck the scratches BLOW UP and itch like hives). And.......I LOVE A POODLE.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Why, just why...a springer doodle?!? When Lily was young and the Obamas had just gotten their dog everyone thought she was a portie if she had any amount of growth of hair on her muzzle. that got me to keep her face clean and poodley right quick. Nobody ever thinks Javelin is a doodle but many people think he is a girl. I was very happy the other day at work when a student who was looking for some information while I was in our department office prefaced his questions by remarking what a handsome boy he was and noting how much he loved poodles.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Have you noticed, little kids usually know it's a poodle - it's the adults that are so confused.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Reactions: kontiki

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get asked if Dobby is a GoldenDoodle or a labradoodle. ALL.THE.TIME.

This is a great pic (left to right) of my best friends GoldenDoodle, her Golden, and Dobby. He doesn't look remotely like a poodle mix! IMO.

(Her doodle came into her shelter as a puppy from an older lady who had purchased him and decided he was too much work!)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why, just why...a springer doodle?!?
Right!?

I met a guy at the pet store while I had Dobby with me, who said he'd purchased a irish setter/Poodle mix, because he had wanted a red poodle and couldn't find one. He was VERY enthusiastic about Dobby and his color.

He'd bought the dog to get the color he wanted.:doh:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pretty much everyone either thinks Buddy is a mix or asks outright what he is. They always seem surprised when we say he's a poodle. They do usually say they typically see Maltipoo's and not the real deal. Might also be because we don't really do the more popular grooming styles. Really he's even more scruffy looking than in these pics most of the time. That's right after he got back from the groomer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
AND THEN THERE IS

MOLLY!

Who people always say: "OH WHAT A PRETTY POODLE!" LOL! She does a really good impersonation, but we do call her a 'Poodle Oops' when people ask about her, and DO tell people the poodle is the BEST part of her !

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AND THEN THERE IS

MOLLY!

Who people always say: "OH WHAT A PRETTY POODLE!" LOL! She does a really good impersonation, but we do call her a 'Poodle Oops' when people ask about her, and DO tell people the poodle is the BEST part of her !

Well of course because she is simply fabulous!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
And it gets even more confusing when you have a parti color poodle. At least solid color poodles are more common and people can give a reasonable guess at them being a poodle, but parti's are still pretty rare in my area, I've never seen another and I get all kinds of guess, PWD's being the most common guess thanks to the Obama's. There is a parti color sheepadoodle that goes to the same dog park I go to and I've been asked why I had my sheepadoodle's tail docked and shave his face.

I am so relieved when someone actually comes up to me and ask what breed Roland is. I had to chuckle at a group of older ladies taking a stroll on the path outside the dog park and were facinated with Roland. I heard one say, "I think that is what is called a French poodle" and another saying that poodles are not French and on and on the conversation went between them until one decided to ask me about Roland. When I said he's a pure bred standard poodle puppy ( he was about 8 months old at the time and in full puppy coat which made him look even bigger), I chuckled even more when they were like "puppy?". Packs of sweet little old ladies can be so cute.

And yes, it would seem all poodles are she's. My last pair of dogs were a male standard and a female boxer. The poodle was always called she and the boxer he. I even had the boxer all done up in pink, collar, leash, and even a pink headband, and the standard all in same in blue and it made no difference. I would seem there are no male poodles or female boxers even though both were perfect gender representatives of their breed.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
barbiespoodle Lily wears a pink collar and has a pink leash. Javelin's collar is black and his leash is blue and silver. They are clipped differently and Javelin is significantly bigger than Lily yet people often remark on my two cute girls, poor Javvy what a complex he must have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just google Wally Conran, the man credited with the 1st successful Xbreed of a poodle and Lab. He has apologized more than once for doing harm and a disservice to the Poodle breed. He would never own a Labradoodle or other xbreed because the result an inferior animal to both breeds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts