Poodle Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
For Want of a Poodle,

I do like that look. I'm still trying to figure out which blade to use to get about 3/4" to 1" of coat left & how in the world to get it to go through the blasted coat. I brush him out, try to clip him... remind myself not to swear. Brush him some more, comb, brush, comb (each coming gets finer teeth so) then try to clip... grrrrrrr…. stomp around a bit. Mr. Layne gives me kisses, "It's okay Mom, you'll figure this out" but man!

I have a set of combs but they're worse than the blades. I'm certain it's just me & I'm not quite getting the hang of it yet. Yes, as you'll see in my avatar pic, Mr. Layne ran around for a few days with the ugliest shag-bracelet on his back legs until last night. He was a very good boy last night & stood while I trimmed. Even let me do belly & sanitary without my husband holding him. My Giant always looked pretty good with the exception of a few whacky eyebrows (because she moves as I go to snip or shape) or her outline messed up because she moved but it's fairly minor. Mr. Layne's hair is a real & true challenge but I'm going to keep at it until I can put up picks & say, "WHOO HOO, I sort of got it!"

On a funny note. My husband who is anti-foo foo wants me to grow Mr. Layne's leg furnishings back. Says he looks better with them. So I'm going to try it again but a little shorter. Neither of us could believe the mats because he is brushed daily. I go all the way to the skin but this week when I had dental work sure made a mess of my boy.
The only time I can get the Andis to go through Louie's coat is right after a bath and blow dry with the HV dryer. I can use the Bravura for touch ups in between but the Andis (also the two speed) will only glide through freshly washed and dried hair - although then it is like cutting through butter. Which is why I use the Bravura (both sizes) with steel combs on the legs and do most of his body with the Andis...

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Show sheen! I use to use that on my horses before a show. Or any time. I hope that works for you. Another thing I have used, after using so many products that cost a lot of money and don't really work, was Dawn dishwashing liquid for stains. It works pretty well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeah, I have the plastic combs so it sounds like I need to get a set of metal ones. I also probably need to look into the Bravura clippers.

Moni, do you know if the Bravura clippers will work with my blades for the Andis? I know the Andis ones work for the Oster, Andis, & Wahl clippers & vise versa. Also can would you send me a link or model number to the Bravura that you have?

Poodlebeguiled, believe it or not this is WITH the Show Sheen. I use it on him all the time & it helps with the stains & tangles. It really is awesome on his coat. You suggested it to me before & the next day I had the biggest bottle they had. I also bought a horse shampoo made for white & gray coats (it's formulated for horses & dogs). I put that on him & let it sit while I work it through his coat. I mix it in a pitcher & have him stand with his leg in the pitcher for awhile. It does great. (Also works great on our black & white Chihuahua who goes through hitches of rolling in chicken poo... ewwwww).

I appreciate all the input because I really want him to look nice & I enjoy doing it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yeah, I have the plastic combs so it sounds like I need to get a set of metal ones. I also probably need to look into the Bravura clippers.

Moni, do you know if the Bravura clippers will work with my blades for the Andis? I know the Andis ones work for the Oster, Andis, & Wahl clippers & vise versa. Also can would you send me a link or model number to the Bravura that you have?

Poodlebeguiled, believe it or not this is WITH the Show Sheen. I use it on him all the time & it helps with the stains & tangles. It really is awesome on his coat. You suggested it to me before & the next day I had the biggest bottle they had. I also bought a horse shampoo made for white & gray coats (it's formulated for horses & dogs). I put that on him & let it sit while I work it through his coat. I mix it in a pitcher & have him stand with his leg in the pitcher for awhile. It does great. (Also works great on our black & white Chihuahua who goes through hitches of rolling in chicken poo... ewwwww).

I appreciate all the input because I really want him to look nice & I enjoy doing it.
My Bravura is a 5 in 1 so no other blades will fit it, but the Andis are also totally a different shape. And the mini Bravura is just a fixed blade...

·
Registered
594 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVBXI4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/41590-0436-BravMini-Professional-Cordless-Trimmer/dp/B005GCBGKK/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3DUK1VLJY4XBY&keywords=bravura+mini&qid=1570980981&sprefix=bravura+mini,aps,143&sr=8-7

These are my two Bravuras - the mini is very helpful because doing feet with the regular is a bit tough on the tiny feet of my Mini. It is doable but I do enjoy having the size available - it is also great for the face...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dogsavvy,
I have a Bravura and a 20 year old Oster A5 Golden 1 speed. The Oster goes through coat very well, with steel combs and lots of noise. The Bravura I bought because my dog hates the sound of the Oster below her ears... It's great for feet + face. I did her body with the Bravura when my Oster clippers were broken, but it's much slower/less powerful and not as smooth of a cut as the Oster. I don't have a dog hair dryer, so just comb and slicker brush my dog as I dry her. I do love the 5 in 1 feature on the Bravura, because I can use a different length on feet (30) vs face(15) vs tail(10) vs belly/sanitary(10 or 9) very easily without buying a bunch of blades, or switching blades.

I have very little experience with clippers, but, personally, I would give your clipper a thorough cleaning (Youtube videos on this) and oil it (I was amazed when I pulled the Osters apart how much hair was in them), then buy a new 30 blade(to use with the combs) + steel combs and try them before investing in the Bravura, which is battery powered and may not last as long. (This is, more or less (subtracting the cleaning advice), what Annie's breeder, who is a groomer, suggested when I asked her what equipment I should buy :p)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Okay, we have a newly groomed Mr. Layne :) Far from perfect & from what I some day want his grooming to look like but I do think we are looking a little better. Took awhile to get him dried & it took awhile for him to be okay with having his ears & top of his head tried but in the end he was nearly falling asleep. Yay us! We are making progress

Attachments

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I like the way you have done a blended topknot on him instead of one of those poodle cuts most people do with the indent that defines a pointy head and separate ears.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I'm so proud of my handsome boy. I had to bathe him today. He was stinky. Perfect gentleman in the bath tub (couldn't use the booster bath so we went oldstyle). I had him on the groom table & he acted like he needed to go outside. So I took him out. He had the zombies. The boy needed to run so I let him, huge circles. Then I played a recall game. I wanted him to stay away from the chicken yard so I'd make my "aaaaattttt" sound & he would alter his circle. I'd praise him then whistle to direct him. He worked beautifully for me & passersby actually stopped to watch. My boy can run!!! 100% on his recalls even with distractions. Then I called an end to the game & after a pee break we went back to the groom table & dried him.

I thoroughly believe the pieces & parts grooming I've done, coupled with the awesome foundation his breeder put on him, are paying off. We are still growing the legs out some more but either I'm getting used to it or he's starting to look a little better. He's uneven in places but still...better

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

41 - 52 of 52 Posts