Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it too late to potty train him to go outside? How would I go about it? the breeder told me to wait until he had all his shots. And them I waited until he was neutered. So now I think he won't want to go outside. I have been taking him outside first thing after he gets up. He will pee then, but that is all. I bring him in and a few minutes later he goes to the puppy pads and does his other business. And at other times it is too late. I don't know until it is too late that he has to go.

Debby

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Well, if he has all his shots now you should also focus on socalizing him with other dogs and people. You don't want him to be stranger shy and dog aggressive from no contact!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Debby - if you work, try to wait for a weekend to start training. I do not know if you have backyard ? If yes, than your job will be much easier. Go out with him in the morning and don't let him back in until he poo. Be around him all the time while he is out to catch the moment and when he is done prize him like no other LOL. Goooood Boooooyyy !!!! and pat pat pat and than play some more and than go in. Feed him, play and watch him like a hawk. After about an hour take him out and see if he will pee agin. If not, play , and try hour later. At that point puppy will usually really pee again. After that he will need a nap. Be by his side while he naps and as soon as he wakes up take him out ....so you get the picture LOL ; ))) ! Be with him 24/7 whole weekend so you really catch him every time before he has an accident. Do not remove poo immediately from the yard - let is stay for a while for smell to "soak" in the ground - gross, I know :hypnotized:- but he has to smell the place next time to "get the idea". After a while you will be able to designate certain spot in the yard where you want him to go. Just be persistent and a LOT OF PRISE : ))) !

Hope it will go smoothly - it should - poodles are extremely smart and very easy to train : ))).

Best of luck : ) !

PS: If he really likes his pads, move them closer and closer to the patio door and than put them out for him to use for coupe of days and than make them smaller and smaller and he will be doing it out in no time !!!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
PS: If he really likes his pads, move them closer and closer to the patio door and than put them out for him to use for coupe of days and than make them smaller and smaller and he will be doing it out in no time !!!!
This sounds like a good idea. My mom used a similar idea to wean me off my pacifier when I was young, and it totally worked!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't work due to disabilities, so I can do it. I started yesterday by taking him outside when he woke up. He peed, but wouldn't do anything else until he came into house with puppy pads. Then I couldn't catch him in time. I am going to follow your advice wishpoo. it sounds doable. Thanks. Debby

1 - 5 of 5 Posts