Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I have not moved to Lamb yet. Keep trying with chicken though.:) Its exciting isn't it? I was amazed at how much they enjoy eating. Just be careful over feeding. (I made 3 of my 4 a little thick) They are on a diet lol. :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
I gave Panda the little bits of chicken I was going to throw in the bin as it had tendons in it and he loved it, maybe he just likes fresh chicken rather than the minced chicken you buy for dogs lol. going to give him a chicken wing at some point soon

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone else adores chicken, in any form- I'm sure Bella will get more opportunities. :D

(And yay, Panda!)

Bella is still underweight from stray/shelter status, so I'll worry about thick spoos happily, when the need arises. ;) (But she's fatter, you can barely feel her ribs!)

·
Registered
276 Posts
My dogs love their raw food. This evening they had a feast of pork shoulder..mmmmm! I have some pig's feet to give them later, for recreation and edible bone.
It's well worth it to persevere with raw. My 7, 4 and 1 year old dogs have pristine teeth and iron guts (ie no problems with changing diets). Just take care with large (weight-bearing) bones, which can break teeth.
I give them a varied diet...beef, chicken, pork, rabbit, lamb, tripe and various varieties of offal....we tried goat for the first time which I bought at the grocery store this year while we were at PCA.
You're on the right track. Your dogs will thank you for giving them raw!
Vivienne

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought they'd like goat... the gaminess I thought would draw her (which seems to be what happened w/ the lamb). Off to the International mkt!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I thought they'd like goat... the gaminess I thought would draw her (which seems to be what happened w/ the lamb). Off to the International mkt!
If she likes gamey meat, you could try her on venison too. My dogs get that very infrequently because it's so expensive, but they like it. Lamb is a favorite, and I'm always on the lookout for bargains.
I find that Cheers doesn't like lean meat. She prefers some with fat attached, which is ok with me as she has had trouble keeping weight on in the past.
I have access to a source of beef tripe, which fortunately is ground up. Have you ever smelt raw tripe? It's foul!! But the dogs love it, and apparently it's very good for them.
The only thing I don't feed raw is fish. I've found they don't like raw fish, but they'll eat it lightly cooked, along with canned salmon and sardines.
My husband says I spend more time on meals for my dogs than on my human family! Sadly, he's right!:)
Vivienne

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My husband says I spend more time on meals for my dogs than on my human family! Sadly, he's right!:)
Vivienne
Me too - not husband BF.

I have my BF do a light pan sear on their liver too and they eat it much better and I can handle it without gagging. They also LOVE the pork shoulders and ribs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts