Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
up all night with murphy. I am pooped. Put him in his crate around 9pm with the boys lying right next to him.

murphy went right to sleep. Good little puppy.

then i went into watch some TV and about 11:00pm just when i was ready to go to bed, the whimpering starts.

I took him outside to go pee, but nothing.

brought him back in and he went right in his crate. went right back to sleep.

I waited for about 15 minutes before i went to bed then the whimpering started.

needless to say, up and down all night, didnt really sleep at all. the kids slept through most of it.

Murphy didnt pee at all.....

If he had, i think maybe i would feel better.

It was his first night here so Im sure he was just lonely and scared.

I went to bed at 4pm after murphy finally went to sleep.

But guess who couldnt sleep?...lol

about 6pm i put the coffee on and guess who wants to play? his little tag is waggin' and he seems all set for the day.....lol

i took him outside and we ran around a little and had some fun.

guess who made a poop? I was so excited, his first poop...lol.

ok, i have work, im exhausted.

the kids are up and guess whos turn it is to walk him....It aint me...lol

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
oh boy! that will be me in a few days! I needed a dose of reality to make me cherish my last few nights of sleep!!!! (only 4 sleeps left!)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My hubby and I are looking forward to our first night too. I'm excited you took the time to journal it for us. It's been so long since I have had a puppy. We have been trying to sleep in just to savour the last few times in a little while.

Heather - Not long now!!! I know that is easy for me to say. Your little Rogan will be so excited to be with his new family too.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Murphy is 16 weeks old right? Was he crate trained at the breeders? (I can't imagine that he wasn't). If so, he is playing you.

Starting around 8 weeks, puppies should be able to sleep over night with no problems in a crate. Spending time with you is just way more fun than staying in a crate all by himself all night.

Murphy's crate needs to go in a quiet place away from family distractions. My dog crates are in my grooming room in my basement. Around bed time each night, take him out for a last potty around 10:30 or so. Then, give him a kiss, put him to bed in his crate, turn off the light and say goodnight. Don't let him out if he whines. Practice tough love. It will pay off in the end.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi cbrand

he is 12 weeks old. He actually wasnt crate trained at the breeders. She had them all in a pen. however due to his age, when we went to pick him up he had the run of the house with his mom.

he seems to like to go in the crate though for nap time and sleepy time. He goes in on his own however we only close the door at night.

his crate was dry through the night though.

we do have the kids sleeping next to him though. Is that a bad thing? Im sure this wont last long since the kids are going to want their own beds soon.

He is in the playroom, that's where he is all set up, he does not have full run of the house, he is in a pen.

due to allergies, we cant have running around all over the house. We will eventually take the pen away of course we he has the full playroom to run around in and where the kids watch tv and play playstation. Plus it has its own entrance to the outdoors and that is the door he is using.

the breeder did tell us he sleeps through the night but i figured since this was his first night and he was scared, we would 'spoil' him a little.

is that bad?

he did whine and cry when we sat down for dinner and he wanted to join us, but we were pretty firm on not giving him that attention.

I guess I just dont know him well enough yet to know if he has to go pee or poop.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
If you're letting him out when he's whimpering, you're teaching him that's how he can get your attention and he may continue to use that in the crate or further on in life. Youtube a couple tips on crate training, with a lot of treats and tough love he should be used to it in no time.

You just have to be consistant, dogs don't know 'maybe' or 'sometimes', it's best to be fully commited, or he'll run circles around you.

You can also put a little bell around the door nob of the door he'll be going out to go potty with, and just hold his head or paw and make it poke it when you go outside. Try not to use treats when potty training to go outside though, because when he wants a treat he'll just want to go outside and expect it since he always got one for going.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Im sorry. I remember those days, our poodle came home right about that age but she'd had a week of crate training first.

I really found "Before and After Getting your Puppy" to be a most helpful book on things like these.

The good news is that they mature SO much faster than our human babies so it only lasted a couple of weeks. Now she's back to a 10-6 schedule.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
hi cbrand

he is 12 weeks old. He actually wasn't crate trained at the breeders. She had them all in a pen. however due to his age, when we went to pick him up he had the run of the house with his mom.

he seems to like to go in the crate though for nap time and sleepy time. He goes in on his own however we only close the door at night.

his crate was dry through the night though.

we do have the kids sleeping next to him though. Is that a bad thing? Im sure this wont last long since the kids are going to want their own beds soon.

He is in the playroom, that's where he is all set up, he does not have full run of the house, he is in a pen.

due to allergies, we cant have running around all over the house. We will eventually take the pen away of course we he has the full playroom to run around in and where the kids watch tv and play playstation. Plus it has its own entrance to the outdoors and that is the door he is using.

the breeder did tell us he sleeps through the night but i figured since this was his first night and he was scared, we would 'spoil' him a little.

is that bad?

he did whine and cry when we sat down for dinner and he wanted to join us, but we were pretty firm on not giving him that attention.

I guess I just dont know him well enough yet to know if he has to go pee or poop.
First I'm trying to wrap my mind around letting a 12 week old puppy have "run of the house". Yikes! But not your problem.

Anyway...

You have a good system in place. X-pens are great for limiting space and containing the dog. I use these and find that it helps with potty training because the puppy will not go in the X-pen and then I slowly extend the space it has over time. I find that I can quickly train a puppy this way with very few accidents.

There is no reason this dog can't happily live in just part of the house. My sister-in-law does this and it has worked great for their family. Personally, I don't let my dogs in our living room.

The kids should probably go back to their own beds and let the puppy get used to sleeping on his own.

I think it is a good idea to set boundaries and house rules and follow them consistently (just like you do with children). If you want a dog who will be quiet when he is in his crate then you need to train for that. Don't give in to pressure if you know that your dog's needs have been met.

Good luck. Miniature Poodles are wonderful!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I think the best way to handle this is to put pup in his crate and let him figure it out too.

I did that with all of my puppies and it wasn't long before each of them realized that going in the crate for the night was expected. They whined at first even with the older dogs in the room with them. The crates are in the family room in the basement and I wear earplugs (have most of my life) so it didn't disturb too much of my sleep. Of course, you have children and probably won't want to wear earplugs.

If he is whining a lot at night, I wouldn't have the kids sleep next to him. That will only disturb their sleep more and might make them cranky!

Unfortunately, spoiling him a little is self-defeative. Once a bad habit is established, it is hard to break. Fluffyspoos advice about being consistent is right on otherwise he will be confused as to what is expected of him.

Best of luck with your precious little one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update on 2nd night

woo hoooo!!!!!!!!!!! slept through the night with no problems. i woke up in the am and brought Murphy out to do his business and he did just that.

poop and pee.....yEA!!!!!!!!!!!

he seems to be getting more comfortable with us which is great.

I have the kids on a timed clock that every hour when the big hand hits the 12, Murphy goes out. Lost of praise for doing his business.

I guess I get freaked out, because I know with babies when they cried, i would go to them and sooth them so Ive been doing that with Murphy cause its only been day 2 at our house.

but I gotta tell you, the first day when we sat to eat, he whimpered and whimpered when we ate dinner and just did the tough love thing.

last night at dinner, he whimmpered for about 1 minute then just went to his crate for a nap because hopefully he figured he kinda figured that one out already.

who knows....he is jsut so darn cute.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts