Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our mini has discovered the joys of playing alone in the backyard. Does anyone have yard toys to recommend - esp. those safe for unsupervised play?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I don't have a yard - but my girl's favourite toy to play with independently outdoors is her Jolly Ball Soccer ball. My childhood mini-mix also loved large (up to 2 ft diameter) children's balls to play with outside. The Jolly ball doesn't deflate when punctured.

·
Super Moderator
5,191 Posts
Peggy ADORES the jolly ball with the handle. She looked super proud lugging that thing around the puppy class yard, and I plan to get her one of her own for her 1st birthday.

This is also great. It's got a maddening "crackle" that keeps Peggy engaged, and has so far been extremely durable:

JW is a great brand. My last dog was a mini mix and these balls lit a spark in her that turned her into a full-blown retriever in her senior years:

And, last but not least, Peggy loooooves her frisbee. We've bought her fancy dog versions, but she always goes back to the old hard plastic one. During our recent snowfall, she played outside by herself for ages, waving it in the air and pouncing on it so it would slide like a sled.

(Then again, her best outdoor friend when she was a puppy was the handle from an old bucket. I think she might have pretty low standards. ? )

·
Registered
351 Posts
Peggy kills me ??
I think my dogs' favorite outdoor toys are plastic water bottles- even better if they are partially filled with water.

·
Premium Member
23,185 Posts
I also was going to say Jolly Ball with handle. It is one of Peeves special favorites. They come in quite a number of sizes appropriate to different sizes of dogs.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great suggestions, thanks.

I'm laughing as I write because I was just reading up on the JW Squeak balls at Chewy and someone insisted on getting a green one because her dog 'only likes green.'

We think our Normie is smart but assume that he's as color blind as other dogs.

·
Super Moderator
5,191 Posts
Great suggestions, thanks.

I'm laughing as I write because I was just reading up on the JW Squeak balls at Chewy and someone insisted on getting a green one because her dog 'only likes green.'

We think our Normie is smart but assume that he's as color blind as other dogs.
I laughed at that, too!! ? We did actually find that Gracie could spot the blue one much more easily than the green or red. I just did a google search to make sure I wasn't crazy, but I think this side-by-side image illustrates it quite well.

(The red was our favourite, though, as we were generally the one tracking it down at the end of a play session.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts