Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear some of these breeders are no better than the average redneck keep your dog on a chain in the back yard people. My sis was looking for a spoo. She found one in closer to me than her. I went to pick the dog up and I couldn't believe what I saw. He was really skinny, eyes gunked up and ear infections. He stunk to high heaven. By skinny I mean like 10 lbs under weight with NO muscle tone at all!!!:mffad::mffad:

My initial thought was that I could handle it. I just figured it could be fixed with an antibiotic. NOT!!!! After visiting the vet this morning he as a severe kidney infection that has been going on for a while because his bladder wall is thickened from scar tissue!!!! His tear ducks are clogged because of sever matting at some point. This a permanent condition and per the vet his eyes will need to be treated 3 or more times a day for the rest of his life!!!! :yell:

Luckily, he was clear of all worms and parasites, but seriously!!! I'd seen the dog before in full show coat. He was gorgeous, so when I heard it was him I was excited. I can't believe what I'm seeing. Now she doesn't want him because she can't treat the eyes. I don't have time for it either. So he goes back to the guy unless we can figure something out. I hate people like that!!!!!

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
OMG :scared: That's a horrible thing!! That poor dog. I don't understand how anyone can let an animal suffer like that. I have always felt that whatever a person does bad to an animal should be done to them.

It's too bad that your sister can't take him now. I do hope that you are able to do something to help the poor thing. Do you really have to hand him back over to that awful person? In that condition, wouldn't the SPCA step in?

I hope his story has a good ending.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Oh thats just awful!

I hope you can find a good home for him. Are they sure he doesnt have entropion or something. Poor guy, If I was closer, and not up to my ears in puppies, id take him.

:eek:hwell:

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Oh, I am sooo sorry for this poor boy (and for you and your sister, too!) How horrible! Do you have any rescues or fosters in your area that could step in and help find him a good home? I'd hate to hear that he had to go BACK to the person who neglected him so badly that he missed out on a great home because of the side effects of this neglect!! I know that you said your dr. said it would be a "permanent" condition, but do you think that it would be worth a 2nd opinion? I'd wonder with regular grooming, great food, that he might only need, like, one treatment a day - that would be do-able for most pet owners (just put the drops in at one of the meal times or first thing in the morning, or whatever... My first dog had canine lupus and was on daily meds for the last 5 years of her life - it became such a habit that I never ever realized she was an eensy weensy bit more work.)

I'm going to keep this boy in my prayers and hope you can find a place for him other than the creep who caused his problems! Can you share who this dog is? Maybe some of the folks on here would recognize him if he's a show dog...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I actually think it's a good idea that you state who the breeder is so that others looking for puppies won't run into this person with his healthy puppies and never know what he's done to his retired show dogs. I think he should be arrested truth be told and I'd look into filing charges since you have a vet's records to prove that neglect was the cause.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh nooooooo : (((( !!!!!!

Please do not return him :rain: : ((((... It is going to be the end of him : ((((!!!!

Is there ANY rescue organization that could take him in ???? : ((( Anybody ????
Is he "fixed" ???? If yes, can you put the add in the papers looking for a new home for him ??? : ((((

I also want to know who the breeder is :fish:- I do not want to end up buying a puppy from such a horrible person : ((((( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please at least send us a PM : ((((, *sigh .... What a horrible situation : ((( People are so cruel : (, it is unbelievable : (((

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Thats terrible because you do not want him to go back but at the same time - the breeder sold the dog with problems- he has to step up somehow - maybe get him to refund the money and foster the dog to health and into another home if you cannot handle the situation with the drops. If he's not willing to then maybe thats an option.

Are you still getting your silver pup in SC?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still getting the silver pup or I would keep him. My friend is keeping him while I'm in NC this weekend. I hope she falls in love with him. He is such a sweet boy. He stood there a licked the techs face while they took blood, didn't even flinch.

I'll PM anyone who wants to know the breeder. I'll post it once I know what is going to happen with the dog. I stopped payment on the check yesterday.

His eyes are looking better just with a saline rinse everyday. (I love my vet, but I take everything with a grain of salt) He will need a more effective all day lubricant, but once or twice is probably going to be enough. My sis has two young kids and isn't able to handle the care he's going to need right now. He has already stopped peeing in his crate as soon as the antibiotics took effect.

I'm going to try to figure out a way to keep him away from this guy, but if anyone knows of anyone who may like to take this sweet guy let me know. He is a total love.

This man is breeding his sister this month. He says he wants him back because he had "no idea", and he wants to take him to the vet to see what is going on with him. Ummm too late!!!!!! Idiot!!!!!:mad2:

From what I can find out there are no laws or any kind of organization set up animal cruelty in TN. What I have done is contact the breeders that I know to be involved with him and they say they are removing any dogs of theirs he has. :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
They just knocked down the bill here (TN) making it a felony to abuse livestock (horses), as it is with companion animals. :( It's a big deal locally because of major horse abuse. At least they don't have the big metal dumpsters (one compartment for all dogs, one for cats) at the dump (one pick up a day, and in summer it gets in the 90s) anymore, like when I moved here (when it was international news & even Aussies were writing & protesting, they stopped it).

Some people treat dogs like livestock- oh wait, my chickens are pretty damn well cared for, and treated like pets. Worse than livestock. But that's what I'd expect from a puppy mill, not a known breeder. (Might I please know this breeder's name in pm also, since I'm close?)

I hope this sweet boy gets a good home.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Yes, I would like too know. Could you PM me please?? I get lots of calls about lots of colours and refer people to other breeders all the time. surely do not want to send anyone on to this brfeeder!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I also would like to ask if it might be possible for us as a community to organize a small fund-raiser perhaps and help Reesmom with medical costs and
all since she is taking care for him now and he is at this point basically a rescue :rolffleyes: .

I do not know if Rees even feels comfortable with this ... just a thought :(... I do not know how to help and feel so bad for the dog : (((

Thanks Rees for notifying other breeders of what is going on !!!! Hopefully nobody will want to do anything with that horrible person : (((

·
Registered
861 Posts
That's awful. How does someone not know ALL of those things? Really. Either you don't care, or you have more dogs than you can handle and don't notice. Either way that's awful. Poor guy. I hope he finds a loving and CARING home soon.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
That's awful. How does someone not know ALL of those things? Really. Either you don't care, or you have more dogs than you can handle and don't notice. Either way that's awful. Poor guy. I hope he finds a loving and CARING home soon.
I think this is probably more common than people realize. It's not easy to take on more than one or two spoos at a time. They are a breed that requires a lot of socialization and grooming. If you've got 5-10, you are going to be working them round the clock to stay on top of the grooming and show coats. This is not the first time I've heard of a pro handler neglecting a dog in their care. Not saying they all do obviously, just some take on more than they can handle.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I think this is probably more common than people realize. It's not easy to take on more than one or two spoos at a time. They are a breed that requires a lot of socialization and grooming. If you've got 5-10, you are going to be working them round the clock to stay on top of the grooming and show coats. This is not the first time I've heard of a pro handler neglecting a dog in their care. Not saying they all do obviously, just some take on more than they can handle.
I agree totally. You have to decide how many you can have comfortable live in your home AND strick to that. If you are a breeder and need more dogs to improve your breeding program, get wonderful foster homes or co-owners. You should never have so many that they are neglected or somebody doesn't get the attention or affection they deserve just because they do not ask for it. A lot of breeders work full time as well as breeding and need to think about how much time they can really give their dogs. Would someone PM me and let me know who this was so I do not refer potential buyers to them???

·
Registered
562 Posts
Im so sorry to hear about this Spoo. Its so heart breaking that he still loves and trusts people so much. he is a true testiment to this breed. They will love you no matter what!
I really respect and admire people like you who take in dogs that need help and who otherwise would continue to live in filth and neglected. We all know how much a Spoo wants to be next to you and a part of the family. Being left in a backyard all day without interaction is the worse thing you can do to a Spoo, and then add on the uti and the other infections. Its just disgusting how some people think its ok.
I personally know my limit will always be 2 Spoos even tho i only have 1 right now. This way i will be able to stay right on top of their grooming and feeding and they will receive only the best.

Wow well anyways please keep us posted on his progress...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update...He is doing well. I believe he lived in a crate so long he thinks its natural to pee and lay in it. I don't know if a dog can be trained out of this. Anyone have experience on this?

His eyes are going to be a permanent condition. I don't know if his bladder will go back to normal size or not. As of now he can't hold it more the 2 hours.

I don't know what to do in this situation. I have money invested in him. The breeder wants him back. I have been told to just stop answering the phone, because of his history with the authorities on animal negligence he is not likely to pursue it much. Advice???

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Is there any dog -rescue organization in your area ??? :rolffleyes: I am sorry if anybody already asked you that ... It does not have to be a "poodle rescue" - any organization that helps with special needs dogs ???:rolffleyes: If not, maybe you can even contact neighboring states - sometimes they are willing to travel and take a dog !!!

I can completely understand that you are in no position to take care of him and bless you for having him for so long and taking care of him in the meantime.

I really hope that we all here will find the solution for that poor dog :smow:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
ugh sad sad story :(

Yes he can improve his bladder holding. I have a dog who spent 1 year at the pound he thinks cement = pee. and he has major crate issues.

Try using a belly band for when he's in the crate to help prevent oopses. Truthfully my guy is still so stressed in kennels we use it for short term only (at flyball etc) and leave him loose in a room at home.

Try contacting some rescues and see if you can get some help with him :(

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I was thinking about him for the past hour : (((

If he can not hold it - than he just has to pee in the crate - liking it or not :(. Do you have anywhere a doggy-door in the home :rolffleyes:. I was thinking maybe you can keep his crate open over night but leaning on the doggy-door so can go only outside if he wants to leave and pee *sigh : (((. Or maybe make a make-shift play-pan area in the garage where his crate opens into during the night so he can pee on papers : ((.

I also think that his bladder will return to the original size if given a chance - it is an organ that can get bigger and smaller - same as the colon can (at least with people it is the case and I can not see why other mammal would be much different in that respect ...at least I hope ...).

Poor...poor animal *sigh... I wish I live closer so I could help at least with bathing him when you need to : ((( It must be so hard to have couple of your dogs, expecting a puppy and take care of high need adult now. I admire your energy !!!!!! And a big heart, of course !!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts