Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everybody - here are the after shots (I posted Wrigley's scruffy look last week). His feet were alot harder than I guessed they would be.

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
What a handsome boy. I'm feeling really slack for not taking enough photos of T, will try and make amends on the weekend.
What length blade did you use for his f,f & t?

·
Registered
329 Posts
He looks great! How did he do? I haven't attempted to do anything more than bathing, drying, and brushing Jenny yet. I did take her to the groomer and they said she did very well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I believe I used a 10 inch blade. It was the one that came with the Andis clippers. I didn't use a guard or attachment, just the blade. Then I took some men's mustache trimmers and tried to go back over the feet and under the eyes for a closer shave.
I'd love to see more of Jenny! That is great that she did good at the groomer. Wrigley kept trying to lick my hands as I was grooming him.
I love pictures of T. I think of his as my blueprint for Wrigley since he is a black male that is a few months older. It lets me know where Wrigley might be at that time.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
He looks very cute.

I have to ask ... is Wrigley a silver or black. In the pics his muzzle looks like its turing silver?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was told that he was a black. I wish I could see a silver muzzle in person to be more sure. His face looks darker than these pictures show but maybe a silver's muzzle looks darker in person too?
His dad is a white and mom is a black. Could he be a blue?
I've attached another picture of his muzzle that shows how it looks dark. The light wasn't directly on him in this picture like it was on the other one I posted.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yep your right....must just be that pic. He does have a dark muzzle. Now after seeing that pic, he looks black to me. lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
T is (or will be) blue eventually. His muzzle has started to silver, each time I clip his face it looks a little lighter. He is now getting kinda streaks in his top knot of silver too. I have done his f,f & t this morning so once the camera batteries are charged I'll take some shots of his gorgeous little face.

I got really game and did him with a #40 on the cordless this morning. It doesn't look too different to the #30, I got a few clipper marks but he certainly looks smooth :smile:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't wait to see the pictures. What color are T's parents? Did you know he was a blue or are you finding that out as he ages?

·
Registered
554 Posts
He looks great to me! Hopefully I will get that good one day!

Most of mine HATE having their feet done...so I do one at a time. It is not unusual to see 2-3 dogs with one foot done at my house...LOL.

I do the one foot then it bugs me so much that I HAVE to go back and even them out...so it may take 2-3 days but I will get to the other feet!

He does look good and I bet going nice and slow will make it ALOT easier when he is older!

·
Registered
912 Posts
His sire is silver and the bitch is white. He is registered as blue but as he is my first poodle I am not really sure what to expect with his colour change. Have been slack and still no new photos. The attached is a photo from back in October and shows the start of his silvering face.

We all went to the beach this afternoon so then had to spend 4 hours bathing and drying both dogs! Absolutley tuckered out now, both me and the dogs :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have heard that knowing a blue from a silver at birth is next to impossible. I think some breeders can tell by their toe-nails I think or maybe its the amount of pigment on their paw pads.

I can't remember exactly but it has something to do with the feet, I think!

I do know that alot of people say a black born with a large amount of white patches (not a parti-color) tends to not be a black as an adult but will turn to a silver or blue.

I guess its rare for a silver to be born silver...they all "look" black at birth then fade out...and I think that silvers and blues can fade for as long as 2-4 yrs until they reach their "true" color.

We have a silver female that looked more dark gray when she was younger, but at about 9 months old you could really see the change.

Now (since she is a sable) only her top knot is a nice dark silver and the rest of her is shades of silver and cream. SHE HATES the clipers so I don't take very many pics of her.

I can definitely see the difference in your guys color from the pic you posted and your avatar...he looks like he will be a nice looking color and your grooming makes him look even better!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Apparently they have a few white hairs between their pads at or within a few days of birth if they are going to be silver. Which T didn't have so he is registered as blue. You can also see the brown tips to the edges of his fur which apparently indicates he is blue not just a 'bad' black. A few people on another forum I am on think he will be quite a light blue so will be interesting to see what he eventually ends up. And yes apparently it can be up to 4 years before his true colour will develop fully so a little while to go yet.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm wondering if Wrigley is a blue then. He has a brown shadow on the tips of his fur when he is in the light. That picture you posted of T's muzzle looks alot like Wrigleys. It isn't as silver as what I think silver's look like but it isn't coal black either.
The only reason it surprises me is that the breeder told me that he was definitely a black as his mom is a black and dad is a white and she said there were no silvers in the line so there wasn't the fading gene (which I took to me he couldn't become a blue). Does a blue have to have a fading gene in its background? I'm going to have to do a search on the color blue to see what the adults look like.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wow. This whole color thing is baffling to me. Max's breeder said he was black. But it sounds like they can't know for sure? He has numerous stray white hairs and there are brown tones when the light shines on him.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts