Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several dog breeds I would LOVE to own, but their needs or temperaments do not match my lifestyle or personality.

Would you ever change your lifestyle in order to have a certain breed of dog?

For example, I would love a border collie but I just do not think my current lifestyle would include enough activity/exercise for them. I'm not lazy by any means, but I'm sure they need more exercise than Mitch, and I dedicate at least 2 or more hours to him daily.
I feel like I would have to take up jogging or something to make a border collie happy, and that would be a lifestyle change for sure.

Aside from a poodle, what's your dream breed that just does not match your lifestyle and would you be willing to change to own that dog?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would LOVE a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, but there is nothing in my lifestyle that can change, I just have to wait for my boys to get a bit bigger, and see if they get better with their allergies. I would be afraid they would hurt a Cavalier, so now it's just a waiting time.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Oh Cavaliers.

That is our second dog, and while he's certainly adorable, the breed has SO MANY genetic issues I doubt I would get one again. Jack is deaf (genetic) and prior to switching to a raw diet, had the worst teeth I've seen. I could do a dental on him every 3 to 6 months and get a LOT of tartar off of his teeth. I also had to pull some of his molars, as they were so far gone with rot and root disease. He is only just turned four years old. When you do go with a cavalier, just be certain your breeder is top notch. I can even help you find someone great in your area when it's time, if you like. At the very least I could put you in touch with some of the Cavalier People. ;)

This is our cav, Union Jack Axtell, hehe:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Well, I would love to get a Samoyed, but I couldn't live with myself to have that dog living in Utah in the summer.. (desert) I think one would already fit my lifestyle, but getting one here would be unfair to the dog. Besides xP I love the heat.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I would love to have a Chinese crested (either variety). I can't think of any lifestyle changes I would need to make to have one, other than losing one of my existing pets. I have a self-imposed two pet limit.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've always loved Giant Schnauzers but don't know how well they would fit my lifestyle or personality. I know terriers are stubborn and tenacious. I can appreciate clownishness, but stubborness and flat out disobedience would bother me. I'm also concerned about preydrive and after doing some research I would never bring a GS into the house w/ cats. I don't see a time in the near future that I will be cat free.

Before I got Harley I was in love w/ Saint Bernards. I never got one b/c of the heat. Now that I have a 100+lb dog that sheds and drools, the thought of living w/ a 200lb dogs that sheds even more white hair and drools buckets, is very unapealing.

Oops, I didn't answer the question. I guess it's probably not. I definately wouldn't get a dog that would likely go after my cats, nor would I get rid of my cats so I could have a particular dog. I would however give up being a cat owner in the future (after my current babies have passed)for a specific breed. I don't think I'd be willing to mop drool off the ceiling, vacumn twice a day or deal w/ the other aspects of St. Bernard ownership.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Oh Cavaliers.

That is our second dog, and while he's certainly adorable, the breed has SO MANY genetic issues I doubt I would get one again. Jack is deaf (genetic) and prior to switching to a raw diet, had the worst teeth I've seen. I could do a dental on him every 3 to 6 months and get a LOT of tartar off of his teeth. I also had to pull some of his molars, as they were so far gone with rot and root disease. He is only just turned four years old. When you do go with a cavalier, just be certain your breeder is top notch. I can even help you find someone great in your area when it's time, if you like. At the very least I could put you in touch with some of the Cavalier People. ;)

This is our cav, Union Jack Axtell, hehe:
I know all about the health issues with Cavaliers. I know for sure, I would NEVER EVER get one from any of the Cavalier breeders I've come across here in Hawaii. I stalk the Cavalier Rescue website, I think we are more likely to rescue a Cavalier than get one from a breeder.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Depending on where im at in my life and what issues the breed had that i needed to change for, i would consider it. Just completely depends, but i would not do it if the issues put my current pets in danger.
Most of the breeds that i want that i have issues with are extreamly dominant breeds that can be DA/HA. I like being able to take my dogs out places, take classes, do things, etc. So right now, no i would not want to change for them. In the future though, maybe.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I probably wouldn't get a breed where I knew I would have to make significant changes to my life. But if I had a dog whose individual needs required me to make changes, then I would. That's how we got into dog sports with our first PWD! He needed to channel his energy and aggression towards other dogs into something. So flyball, agility and water work became a part of our life. Without him we might never have had all the fun we have in those activities. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would have a Cavalier in a heart beat! I didnt know about all the health problems and would probably rescue one if i got one. I think i would like a bull mastiff one day too lol. I also like the chinese crested (not powder puff), also yorkies for some reason and chihuahuas. But after my chi is gone i wont have another dog that small.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'd love a Great Dane, but then I'll have to change my husband.
It'll be mini poodles for us forever lol, it took a few years to get that far!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I probably wouldn't get a breed where I knew I would have to make significant changes to my life. But if I had a dog whose individual needs required me to make changes, then I would. That's how we got into dog sports with our first PWD! He needed to channel his energy and aggression towards other dogs into something. So flyball, agility and water work became a part of our life. Without him we might never have had all the fun we have in those activities. :)
That's exactly how I got into Agility and Obedience, showing and this wonderful forum, and all the awesome people I now know.

Saffy had really bad behavioural issues, and if she saw another animal, she would literally lose it, and be uncontrollable! So we started obedience and agility, and it went on from there. We were nearly kicked out of the club, because no one there knew how to actually fix the issue, and then one day they came up to me and said "ohhh we understand it now, she's not an aggressive dog, she doesn't like dogs running up into her face" ohh clap clap!
But by then, we had made huge progress .. anyway

I think I would be the same, I don't think I would intentionally get a dog that would change my life drastically, but I would change it, if I had the dog.
But I can't really see how getting another breed e.g. Giant Schnauzer or whatever, would actually change my life??

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I love the terrier group....in order of what ones 1st, a Sealyham, 2nd a scottish terriers and 3rd a czesky terrier (which is a cross of the 2 that began in the 1950's and is now a recognized AKC breed.) I love wirey coats.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've always loved Giant Schnauzers but don't know how well they would fit my lifestyle or personality. I know terriers are stubborn and tenacious. I can appreciate clownishness, but stubborness and flat out disobedience would bother me. I'm also concerned about preydrive and after doing some research I would never bring a GS into the house w/ cats. I don't see a time in the near future that I will be cat free.
Hi Harley Chik,

I have two Giants & think you may have some incorrect info on the breed.
They really aren't terriers, were originally classified in the herding group & then moved into the working group. Nor do they have a true terrier temperament. The original schaunzers were the Standards which date back to the 1400's. Those were born in the same litter as smooth pinschers & were considered wirehaired pinschers. (Long before the Dobes were developed).
The standard schnauzers were bred to be all purpose farm dogs. From this mid-size the mini's and giants were developed.

The germans who wanted larger standards bred them to a now extinct version of bouvier & black great danes to create the giants. Their original occupation was as cattle drovers thru the mountains, then as guard dogs and military dogs.

As to their personality they are very intellegent, loyal beyond any dog I have ever had, extremely fun loving and good natured. They have an excellent sense of humor and are athletic.

Overall they are most similar in personality to a german shepherd or doberman but much more "human thinking".

You can see my dogs on my stores facebook page. (google:All Things Woof to see the facebook page) My male Gus is at the store everyday and greets everyone (dogs & people) with a happy whole body wag. He is beyond mellow and everyone comments on how well trained he is. Both Gus & my female accepted my spoo pup without any issues at all. A real key is to get a giant from conformation lines rather than working lines to insure a softer temperament.

My breeder has several cats that live with the giants & there aren't any issues. Also have lots of friends with both.

Stepping off my Giant soapbox now : )

Kathy

My next dog will be a Standard Schnauzer....someday

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
While I have favorite breeds (Bedlingtons being a long time love of mine, and most recently, the puff chinese cresteds! And yes, poodles included!), I'm not sure I can see myself paying an outrageous sum of money for any of them. That is said in a "no offense" way to you guys that have payed lots for an awesome quality dog! :)

When we got started in greyhounds, the adoption fee was something around $100. The greys we had and have are rescues. Only recently has my mother actually purchased greyhounds for show/coursing. I grew up with four rescue cats from the pound (well, and one from Grammy's yard), the greys, and who can forget our lovely old lady cocker spaniel.

As an adult, all of my current pets are rescues. TQ was $65 from the pound - the most I have ever paid for a dog, The Grey was $5 from the sheriff's department, Problem Child was free as a baby, and little poodley man was found and therefore free.

In order to have one of my favorite breeds, I would have to change my lifestyle to even just purchase one, lol. I guess all in all I'm saying that I have my dream dogs right now, and they're a great pack of mutts and pure bred misfits. Wouldn't change 'em for the world. :) My next dog will 99.9% most likely be another rescue, and of course... unplanned, lol.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
The poodle is the perfect breed for us and I don't see us getting any other. I would not change my lifestyle to own a different breed of dog. The dog needs to fit my lifestyle....that is why the poodle is perfect for us.

My husband loves the Bernese Mountain Dog but it is too large, sheds, and can be drooly...non of which I want to deal with.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I would not change my lifestyle at all. I think this is the reason why so many dogs end up in shelters and rescues. A person "thinks" they can change their lifestyle and go get a breed that does not fit who they are. IMO its just a relationship their are people who "think" they can change their bf,gf,husband, and wife it juts does not happen lol

I also like a lot of breeds the only breed I can think of that I would never own is a Border collie. I use to want one when I was looking for my first dog.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts