Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Change the name of an animal you are getting because it is the same as your Mother in Law's name?

We are going to be bringing home a new horse to try out for a while to see if she will work well for my younger daughter. We met her last Saturday and DD really liked her. The thing is, the horses name is Sally. That is also my Mother-in-Law's name. Now, if it were me and somebody said that their horse or dog has the same name as mine, I wouldn't have any problem with it, heck if it was really nice I might be honored. But others who are not as in love with animals as I am may be offended if I were to tell them they have the same name as my horse or dog....

Would you rename the animal, just so not to offend an in-law. (Side note, she's a pretty great MIL).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I hadn't hear it was bad luck before! Guess it's gonna stay! Yes, had fun, I just have to figure out how to convince the people that if they PRACTICE what I teach them WILL work! lol

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
LOL, Bailey's name and my mom's maiden name are the same. I lived in the same town as my grandparents and uncle most of my life. Bailey was the only name that really fit him though. I looked through the reader's pics in Dogfancy to get ideas and there was a cute little Westie named Bailey. I didn't want anything too cutsy or pretentious. It really fits him and it's a nice reminder of my grandparents now that they are gone.

I don't know about the luck thing but if you want to change it, I doubt the horse will mind. On the other hand I'm sure you're MIL will understand that you didn't name the horse that.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Change the name of an animal you are getting because it is the same as your Mother in Law's name?

We are going to be bringing home a new horse to try out for a while to see if she will work well for my younger daughter. We met her last Saturday and DD really liked her. The thing is, the horses name is Sally. That is also my Mother-in-Law's name. Now, if it were me and somebody said that their horse or dog has the same name as mine, I wouldn't have any problem with it, heck if it was really nice I might be honored. But others who are not as in love with animals as I am may be offended if I were to tell them they have the same name as my horse or dog....

Would you rename the animal, just so not to offend an in-law. (Side note, she's a pretty great MIL).
Thats a good question........how close are you with your mother in law? It would depend on a few things, I now have an EX - But I might do it because she hated animals and she loved attention so she would run with that.....but thats me. SO she would find a reason to talk it up no matter what, if she is a relaxed pperson I would say don't.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I don't know how it is with horses but I know dogs will adapt to new names, even getting a new name several times.

For instance this pit bull we recently took in has already started responding to Grimm after just a few days.

In general I think animals adapt pretty well, if you're worried about it maybe you could find a nick name for the horse or something like that.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I am superstitious enough that I would leave it.
I hated my horse's call name, but that's what I kept out of fear!!

It was Nugget. :(

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Why don't you ask her how she feels about it? I'd tell her that we were looking at adopting a new horse and it has the same name as hers. Is she comfortable with that. If not I'd probably (if I was close to her) change the name to something different but similar. Our dogs answer to several different renditions of their names. (My daughter likes to call Jenny Sugar) Sport used to get anything from Sport, Sporty, Sporty Jo, Sporticus, Poodle, Dogger and so on and bless his heart he answered to them all.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well if the animal was good I would be glad that it was named after me.
If it was bad well hehe ...

Do horses know there names ?

·
Registered
232 Posts
My Mom's dog was named Betty. My MIL's name is Betty. She is not a dog person, but didn't mind at all :) Personally I wouldn't change it. My horse definitely knows his name and comes when I call.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts