Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll preface with this happened two days ago and Beatrice is fine now.

It was bed time and was getting ready for bed, I inadvertently sat on Beatrice while getting into bed and she got panicked and spastic, seems she was carrying around a well gnawed Himalayan chew and it got lodged in her throat and she couldn't breathe.
I did a finger sweep with no luck opted for jamming my finger down her throat, that dislodged the chew. Bea bit me in the process but didn't break skin. My next option was the Heimlich maneuver, yes I know how to do it of people and animals.

Beatrice recovered quicker than I did, I am mortified over what happened, I honestly didn't think I just acted. I feel a bit guilty I usually watch out for the pups and also removed chews I deem too small.

I did call my vet and was told to keep an eye on her. So she came to work with me.
20180914_111725-2.jpg

So I ask , how are your canine first aid skills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,292 Posts
Well, that sounds very scary, and could have happened to any one of us.

I am so glad you both recovered from that scary event.

A while back I signed up for a Red Cross pet CPR class and am glad I did. I feel more confident since I now know how to do pet CPR.

Thank you for the reminder.....and many hugs to you both.

You have the very cutest office buddy, EVER!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks VQ, it was very scary.

I have done human CPR classes, now I think I will search out a pet CPR class, I learned from a veterinary handbook
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,161 Posts
When Blue was about a year old, he must have carried a stick in from outside. I heard my husband shouting for me in a panic, "He's choking, he's choking!" We couldn't see what it was, but I ran my finger down his throat and felt a stick lodged crosswise. Lucky for all three of us, I was able to get it out, but it was really scary. Glad you and Beatrice had the same happy outcome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,697 Posts
That is so scary ! I known human CPR, I was trained a lot while in the navy (reserve) but I’ll have to check again for dogs.

I’m so glad you were able to save Beatrice. I didn’t have such luck with my beloved Tamara. She choked on a piece of rawhide (never will I buy anymore of those) at night and we ended up going to the emergency clinic, where she had an emergency removal. Throwing up would not have done it, but I didn’t even think about it. A few months later she deceased and to this day I still wonder if this incident precipitated her death.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,145 Posts
That is scary - Twyla you are so good with your dogs. These sort of things can happen to anyone and you just can't beat yourself up over it. Thankfully you're both okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,399 Posts
So glad you got Bea thru this ok. Thanks for the reminder about pet CPR and other emergency measures.

My Noel was a bit of a pig dog. The last time I ever gave any dog a rawhide was the night she had knawed off a hunk big enough to choke on, and she was. I couldn't get it out of her throat so all I could think to do was turn her upside down and bob her til she coughed it out. We got lucky on that one.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top