Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG this is a totally new one on me.... all though it says it is a method that has been used for years, it's not something I want to do! LOL! Says it is failsafe but
I'm just curious if anyone here has done it?

How To Get A Dog To Poophttps://www.askthedogguy.com/match-to-produce-dog-poop/

Reactions: Vita and zooeysmom

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Nope, haven't tried it, but I have heard about it. I've never had an urgent need to have my dogs poop. I do notice that after they get their temperature taken, they have to go sometimes.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
LOL No! and I don't think I would. In all the years that I've owned dogs I've never had to make them poop.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yep heard about it in the fancy from professional handlers. To be fair sometimes the poop accommodations at shows leave much to be desired. I Remember the dank tiny corrals in Madison Square Garden for Westminster. To get your dog to poop there in the little time you have is an art all in itself - no wonder they came up with these tactics.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yep, that technique has been around for decades. I never saw a written detailed description, though! It seems to me that it is enough to say that you just use 1 or 2 book matches in the anus.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Never done it myself, but the time I saw it used was on a dog that just wouldn't poop away from home. If you are at a show and your dog won't poop, you have to do something so that he won't do it in the ring.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
No, I wouldn’t do that to a dog. Not something I would like myself, so I figure neither would a dog.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I’ve heard of it too from people who do dog sports

I haven’t had the need to do it and I wonder if using glycerin suppositories or something else that humans use might be better? I don’t know. I would ask my vet first before sticking something up their rear end.

But I can understand that for some dogs it is needed just as in humans.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Not having to do it is why I taught potty on command, but yes I do know it works and know people who do it (mostly for conformation shows).

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I haven’t done this but I would do it if needed. I first heard about it a really long time ago as a trick for potty training a puppy in a big city since they aren’t naturally inclined nor potty on the sidewalks and grass can be hard to come by. If you think about it, the paper match is much smaller than anything that comes out haha, and it won’t hurt the dog. Would be kind of embarrassing to do if anyone is watching though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts