Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I didn't know what I was doing when I bought Zack. I didn't know about reputable breeders and back yard breeders. I was very naive.

I have my suspicions that he may or may not be a purebred. Deep down it really doesn't matter I love him no matter what. But I'm just curious what your thoughts are. Here are some photos of him at different points in his life.

Is he purebred, mixed, just a poorly bred purebred?

(He did not come from a reputable breeder, but that is another story. I saw the mom, her fur was all grown out and she wasn't in any kind of poodle cut (she just looked like a white fluffy dog, and the dad was not onsite. The breeder used a stud service)

He was sold to us as a minature poodle, he measures to be a minature but he weighs between 9lbs so the high end of what a toy would weigh, but he is a good healthy weight according to the vet.

The breeder said Dad was a Minature and Mom was technically a minature. (She was too big to be a toy but she measured too small to be a minature....little did I know back then that meant she wasn't breed standard)

All his paperwork says he is a minature poodle (I was unable to register him though due to the fact that the breeder never filled out her part of the paperwork)

I think he is a purebred just not wellbred (obviously with all the health issues he has had, and we were told that many were due to genetics) (Though others have mentioned he doesn't look pure poodle)

Here he is as a puppy:

Here he is as an adult at various stages of his life (he is only 2 years old currently)

More photos to come

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

On his paperwork it said he was a Minature Poodle and his color was Apricot.

Obviously his color has faded a lot. (Though mom was solid white. I think the breeder might have bred a White to an Apricot...not that that matters, if it does I don't know)

Anyways what do you think?

Purebred?

(If you need better photos I can try to find some, this are the best I have on hand at the moment)

·
Registered
681 Posts
He looks a lot like a purebred pup that I had looked at originally. The breeder was questionable and uses an AKC male and a non-registered mom. He looks full-blooded though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only reason I ask is a few times now people have asked if he was a maltipoo (maltese poodle mix) or a bichon/poodle mix.

And I said no he is a purebred poodle (and then they would stand there and try to argue with me)

It just makes one wonder I guess

I never really questioned it before that he always looked purebred to me

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I get asked if my poodles are labradoodles all the time because of the long tails..especially now that Dodger's face is all fuzzy instead of shaved im always having people ask if she's a labradoodle or a portuguese water dog.

So some people might see his fluffy face and not see poodle right away! He looks purebred to me and I think he looks adorable with the fuzzy face!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I think he's poodle, but then I started to question myself on some of the later photos where he has almost a bichon style head shape. I think it's just his clip that causes people to ask you!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
He looks purebred to me too! :)

I get the labradoodle question constantly...it's bad enough because of the fuzzy face, but the next thing they always say is 'Oh but he's so small, he can't be a standard.' Flip is 22 1/2 inches...

People always call our Cavalier a puppy as well because we keep him in a puppy cut and he's on the smaller side for a cav.

I love how people will tell you about your own dog!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have only had him in a poodle type cut for the last 8 weeks or so. The most recent photos are of him with the close cut face and the snow photo.

I think that makes a world of difference

We never cut him close until we had to start wetting down his food and it got all caught in his beard and was nasty.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
He looks purebred to me too, but anything's possible. I wouldn't guess "maltipoo", just b/c his coat is so curly, but again anythings possible. He honestly doesn't look horribly bred either. It's hard to tell, since he's not stacked, but he looks better than a lot of BYB poodles, I've seen.

Everyone thinks they're a breed expert and many have no clue. You'd be amazed at some stories I've heard. My favorite was a person who took their Siberian Husky to Petsmart. One customer asked what kind of dog it was and when the owner said Sibe, another customer came over telling them both how there was no way that was a purebred Sibe. It was "way too small, it's ear weren't right, etc" and she knew b/c she bred them. The dog's owner happily informed her that her midget, tiny eared mutt was in fact an AKC Champion. Too funny!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Looks like a Mini Poo to me! And a cute one at that! If someone tries to argue with you about YOUR dog just walk away! Thats what i'd do lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts