Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice alot of people who want a second dog are looking for other breeders besides the one they got their dog from. Is is because you dont like your breeder? You want a different color then they breed? Does your breeder just not have puppies at that time? Or are you just looking for a "change"?

Personally, I wouldnt go back to my breeder as we have had a "difference of opinions" on some things. I also would just like to "try" another breeder. It all depends if i will stick with my "next" breeder in the future.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm keeping my options open. I would go back to my breeder. She's very nice and is breeding good quality dogs. I'm not always on the same page with her, and communication can be off, but I'm slowly figuring her out. We are in contact still, and I see her at shows. I've seen the results from a couple of her breedings and they are very consistent and nice. Her litters are consistent enough to have a good number of show prospects in each. (4 that I know of in the litter Jasper came from) She usually breeds to Dawin or Bar None dogs and I very much like the look they are achieving. That said.. who knows if there will be a cream female for show that can be placed with me. We've spoken already, but it's early in the game still. So... I am a researching machine :).

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would go back to Charly's(Curonian Spit), Vaka's(Huffish) and Polar(Lapponias) breeder any time. They are breeders who are very interested in Poodles and know a lot of things and seem to be always willing to help. I would also recommend them to anyone I know and are looking for spoos.

Dima's breeder I would not buy from again.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I may not go back to Nickel's breeder but that's only because I want a toy next time. I would definitely go back to him if I wanted a miniature. Or if he has small minis, I would get one from him.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Yes and no.

Yes: beautiful dogs, wonderful temperments, health tested, shown, feeds raw, and Karen is just an all around awesome person.

No: I want my next dog to have a natural tail and she docks to the AKC breed standard (which I do not blame her for at all :)) though Vegas has a long dock and I LOVE it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would and am going back to my breeder Ormar ...next year I will hopefully get a white poodle boy from her spectaular Cole :) If I wanted a poodle and Ora had none available, I know she would direct me to a breeder that she trusted, but I am looking forward to getting a cousin of Baldr's as Cole is his uncle.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I would (and will) go back to Karin in a heartbeat. She does health testing and temperament testing on her litters and every dog I have heard about/met of her breeding have all had wonderful temperaments and been healthy. She does not dock tails or remove dew claws and I really like that.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Yes... in a heartbeat... I won't be looking for another poodle for quite some time, but when I do - Arreau will be who I go to.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yes, definitely, I have had a great experience with Darcy's breeder. Having said that it would depend on who she was breeding and what she was expecting from the litter. So if I were to be looking for another dog (not likely unless it's the far, far future), I would also be contacting other breeders, in case their dogs/ breedings better met my current needs and wants.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would and did go back to my breeder. I had a pup from my breeder and he ended up getting sick (at a very young age) and had to be put to sleep (still breaks my heart). I know that what happened to my pup was just a genetic fluke. But, she made good with me and she honestly cares for all of her dogs. I have been waiting to see if there is a cream female (I think I may be in line before you Rockporters LOL!) as my previous SPOO was a cream.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
No and no. I will not go back to Taffy's or Billy's breeder again.

We weren't very well educated when we bought our first poodles. We have been well educated since joining poodle forum.

Billy's and Grace's breeder produced Chantel in her next litter and she is a gem! But, she does not test, she does not show, and when I had a bad experience that involved Billy, her only concern was for her business and herself and I was extremely offended by that. I expect someone I buy a puppy from to be there for advice and support when I need it. Also, Chantel was produced from a back-to-back breeding. We took her because she had everything we were looking for in temperament and conformation and felt she would be a good addition to our pack. When we shaved her face after taking her to the beach in Rhodes Island, we were horrified to find her infested with fleas; which she promptly shared with all of our other dogs and then they shared with our cats. What a mess!! We had to take all of our pets out of our homes to flea bomb them and then treat them all with flea prevention. We will not be going back there again.

Taffy's breeder does not test or show either and we found out later that she breeds back-to-back as well. We know better now and will stay away from anything like that again. I do have to say, though, that even though the breeder and her husband were getting quite elderly, their home was very clean, their dogs were clean and all were groomed. She is inspected twice a year by their local agency and by AKC.

We are looking to breed up and improve our program and will be looking for puppies in the future from breeders who put titles on their dogs (actually work with them), and health and temperament test them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Absolutely yes!
Diane (Cantope) does health testing, puts performance and conformation titles on her dogs and temperament tests all her litters. She keeps in touch with her puppy buyers, and offers a lifetime of support. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another puppy from her.
Susan and Deb (Bibelot and Tolka) are equally vigilant with health testing, and their puppies are known for their trainability. In my opinion, you cannot find a better breeder for silvers!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i'd love a spoo with an undocked tail. Right now I have 4 dogs and so I'm at a cease for about 10 years (my cairns are 5 years old).

That said, I won't go back to my breeder, I'll find someone who does not dock tails.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Susan and Deb (Bibelot and Tolka) are equally vigilant with health testing, and their puppies are known for their trainability. In my opinion, you cannot find a better breeder for silvers![/QUOTE]

Susan is a very nice person and a quality breeder through and through.
Deb Drake is a sweetie and a wonderful person and dog owner. She loves her dogs and is a very hard worker. I know her personaly and have a very high opinion of her and the care she gives her dogs. She is one of my favorites in poodles.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
That said, I won't go back to my breeder, I'll find someone who does not dock tails.[/QUOTE]

Faerie:
There is so much controversy about tail docking. I have twice bred a litter and didnt dock tails. One of these litters produced a male (Baldr) which Snorpoo purchased from me. Later on I was told that IF I do not dock tails I will never be able to win in the ring or will have to spend a considerable amount of money on an otherwise easily attainable Can. Ch. if my dog will have a natural tail. I was NOT eager to continue docking my pups's tails but unfortunately until such time judges look past a long natural tail and award the puppies for their quality and merit UNFORTUNATELY I will dock my pups' tails.. As I said I DO NOT want to do this but I must if I am to continue showing my dogs. I WISH that we go European style and not have to dock our dogs' tails. I feel it is a barbaric procedure.
There are very few dogs compeeting in Canada from reputable and ethical breeders who sport a natural tail.. so I would rather go to the RIGHT breeder that docks their tails than to a BYB or an ill reputed one that does not.
Honestly I do not know of any reputable breeder in Canada that does not do the docking. I hope that the petition for docking goes through and that we are made to leave our dogs' tails intact. I would be the first one to sign this petition against tail docking.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i hear you on that. i've always been drawn to the shorter poodle tail until this forum when i've seen such gorgeous undocked tails that i went ... wow. lovely.

and by the time i get another spoo ... undocked may be more of a norm. :)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
well my breeder seemed very nice but ginger has that fear thing that cost me big bucks for a trainer so I don't know - but someone on here recently got a pup from her -Leatherstocking in NY - and her pup seems fine but from different parents so I dunno. I paid 750 5 years ago don't know what - is it spoopirit? - she paid for Taffy? not sure lol

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have been waiting to see if there is a cream female (I think I may be in line before you Rockporters LOL!) as my previous SPOO was a cream.
I'm sure you are :). The cream bitch she's going to breed is just absolutely beautiful!

If she breeds this fall it will be a bit early for me but I would consider a pup if everything was right. Hoping for spring though! I'll be at my limit with the second Standard for a while, so I've got my wishlist lined up LOL.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I don't think docking is barbaric or anything, I would just prefer my next standard to have a natural tail, though I wouldn't pass up on an amazing docked white female puppy.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts