Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article online last night about a couple in Florida who cloned their golden retriever after he had past. They spent over $150,000! Assuming that you had the money just laying around, with no other use for it, would you have your dog cloned?

For me, I don't think I would. Yeah the dog would have the same dna, and look just like your other dog. But, does that guarantee the dog would have the same personality? Twins have the same dna but not all of them have the same exact personalities.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't think I would either...like you I would think yes they look alike, but you cannot be guaranteed they will act the same. I mean if you pay that kind of money it better come out potty trained and knowing its old name!

I would think if it did not act the same you would probably be pretty disappointed, since you might always compare it to its older model...which might bring up sad memories and even make you have reserved feelings toward the dog.

I know I have some dogs from my childhood that have passed and I would love to have them back, and even if I had the money laying around I think I would rather cherish their memory then to try to bring them back.

Have you ever seen that episode of Futurma that is about this??? I think that touched lightly on that...Fry was upset if his dog was brought back it wouldn't be the same dog he remembered leaving, and so he decided not to, reminds me of that episode! LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
It reminds me of the old 1978 movie "Boys from Brazil" where 98 Hitler clones where being raised in order to reform the Third Reich. In order to shape all the clones personalities they did things to the clones that happened to the original....like murder each boy's father when the Dad's reached a certain age....scary movie on lots of levels!

And no, I wouldn't clone...there are just too many other great poodles out there!

As macabre as it sounds would stuff a pet if my DH wanted too, but he wouldn't and I am fine with just burying or cremation. My Mom keeps all her pets' ashes; my DH burries all of his at his Mom's farm.

·
Registered
912 Posts
No I wouldn't. I think you'd always be comparing the two and wouldn't appreciate the new ones little characteristics that were different from the original dog.

I'm with Jana way too many great poodles out there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts