Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are adopting a dog from a rescue named Chelle. He is a one year old beautiful chocolate neutered male who is also very thin.

We went to pick up Chelle yesterday and he had diarrhea so they decided to keep him at the foster home for a few more days until he gets better. I'm sad we don't have him yet but really glad we aren't cleaning up dog poop the minute we walk in the door with him. They said he started about 20 min. before we picked him up. His foster mom had a rough day. She had to take her husband to the hospital and it was crazy, crazy at her house. They are thinking he picked up on the tension and it upset his stomach.

Also while we were there, my ds was feeding him treats (that didn't seem like a good idea with an upset stomach, but the foster mom was doing this) and Chelle was trying to receive the treat and nipped ds' finger which made him cry.

It was all kinds of crazy, so the leader of the rescue said she would bring us the dog later in the week when he's all better.

My question is: is there a correlation between the dog being very thin and him developing diarrhea...ie should we worry about his health or just take at face value that it was a stressful day and caused him to have upset tummy?

He was owned by woman who died of cancer and was extremely matted up when the rescue got him. No one knew how skinny he was until he was cleaned up.

His coat is beautiful, he is very sweet, seems very eager to please but we don't want to bring home a dog that may have chronic digestive issues. I had my last dog for 12 years and she never once had diarrhea that bad even after the vet thought she had cancer affecting her digestion.

What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,064 Posts
Lots of Poodles are skinny when they are brought into rescue. Poodles are very sensitive and the mildest stress can effect them and there feeding habits. With that being said I personally dont think the diarrhea and thin appearance are connected. He may not be eating a good diet at the foster home. Also it sounds like thats not normal for the dog since she wants to keep him to make sure it clears up before you take him home.

Eli, my Poodle lost a few pounds in the 5 days I was away with my son in the hospital. He's a picky eater to begin with and the stress from us not being home really upsets him. He's just starting to get his weight back on and not look so skinny.

Also the nip that happened from the treat incident is pretty normal. We've had a good few dogs that would get to excited and take treats from our hand ruffly. Making them wait till they are calm and telling them easy or gentle. Eventually they will take it easy and learn to be careful. He sounds like a good dog that needs some TLC and a loving family.

Post pics when you get him home. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
I would want to know how long the dog has been in foster care. If it's only a short while, then that would explain why he is so thin. Also, do you know what he is eating? It could be that he is on a poor diet or even a diet that he is allergic too. Simply switching him to a different protein source or corn free diet could solve the whole problem. If you asked, I'm sure the rescue would allow you to have him checked out by a vet before commiting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,532 Posts
I agree with Harley Chick...I would have him vetted for a clean bill-of-health before committing to take him home. A change of diet may be just what he needs.

As far as the nipping goes, my spoo puppies both did it and so did my Golden Retriever when she was young. To teach them to be gentle, we make them sit and calm down then offer the treat again but with our fingers bent toward us so that they can't get a good hold on them if they are too eager. It didn't take too long for any of them to learn to accept treats like gentlemen and ladies.

Good luck and hope to see photos soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for asking, kathyd. we got him home. he is a real sweetie!!! he stayed at the foster home for another week with no digestive issues at all. she switched his food which i think helped. i also think that i didn't fully understand how stressful the day was that he got diarrhea- since foster mom had to take husband to hospital after just coming from another foster home.

he is house broken and doing great with it. he's even put on some weight just since friday when we got him.

we are more than thrilled. our next step is to get him into some training classes so he'll be a little calmer around small kids. overall he does well, but he's still a puppy and wants to play. the kids we have at the house are just too small until he's trained better to play with them more gently.

we have taught my son how to give treats where his fingers are not in the way and that has cleared up any problems with that.

we've renamed chelly, coco since he's chocolate. (sometimes i can't even see him when the lights are dim because he's the same color as our hardwood floors lol!) we love coco. thanks for asking.

dee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Great news! I'm sure that Coco and the kids will learn very quickly how to interact safely with each other. Now we need pictures!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top