Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a quote from Spoofan regarding flea control...

"I am not a fan of using anything chemical/poison around my house or on my spoo,so here is what works for me.

Fleas, Ticks, Mosquitoes, Fly Repellant
Ingredients are full strength oils: Tea Tree Oil, Rosemary Oil, Sage Oil,
Cedarwood Oil, Peppermint Oil, Sweet Orange Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Citronella,
Oil, Pine Needle Oil,
Directions: Mix 4-6 drops each with 32 oz of any natural shampoo and you now
have a natural flea shampoo, or

Mix 2-3 drops each with 16 oz. Water in a spray bottle. Shake before each
application and spray lightly over entire body.

Repels fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, flies and also makes the van smell great.
Spray dogs, and blankets. Use before going into the show ring instead of those
other sprays; no chemical smell spray. This stuff smells great, dogs look
great, give additional shine to their coat."

I was wondering how it might work as a detangler? I figure the natural oils will work great. I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried it. Does it make the coat too heavy for grooming? Does it attract dirt? I haven't used a regular detangler to know how it would compare. I need to get shampoo and conditioner (or detangler) for Zulee. This would be pretty pricey collecting the natural oils, but I can see using it for a long time.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
the oils listed are essential oils which are the volatile oils that are extracted from plants through steam distillation. the consistency is differentt than a vegetable based oil.

the oils would not work to provide any conditioning benefits to the coat per se. they may work to assist as an insect deterrent.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It would attract dirt and is too scary to use around eyes as a spray mist. It does work nicely when dabbed onto any nylon, cotton or hemp collar

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I had a feeling it wouldn't work well that way. Thanks for letting me know! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts