Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started with grooming FFT between Kodi's grooming. I was a student, on a limited budget, and I hate fuzzy faces. He is also my terror to be groomed, so I did a ton of work with the clicker and the clippers to get him to stand "nicely" to be groomed!

Well last year I decided I was going to do him totally myself. I purchased a Wahl Bravura adjustable clipper. He's small enough that using combs wasn't to time consuming. Well... now I have a Standard too. And she's gotten big!! Using the combs is getting to be more of a pain the bigger she gets. The last round I felt like it took FOREVER to get her completely even. SO... I'd really like to try my hand at scissoring.... If its bad, I can always go back to the combs, right!! I don't show, they are in strictly pet cuts, and I'm really excited to start experimenting!!!

So does anyone have any suggestions on what tools I will need. I have a pair of straight sheers I use for Kodi 5 or 6in. So from what I've read not big enough for Mia. I'm trying to balance quality and price so if anyone has a specific brand they love, I'm open to any suggestions!! Now I've been using the straight scissors for their top knots too. I don't think I do that bad of a job, I've gotten compliments! But what are the advantages of curved??

If any of the more experienced groomers here have any tips or suggestions I'd be grateful!! My biggest concern, is how to keep it straight. I'm sure each time I do it I'll learn something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Are you asking about scissoring instead of using clippers? I have found clippers the easiest. I purchased an oster A5 turbo 2 speed to clip her and my mom's rescued giant scnoodle. As for if you are looking to scissor to clip different styles longer than you can do with clippers, then the curved scissors and great for forming pompoms and rounding the top knot. Since I'm trying to grow out the top knot, I don't clip it, but I need a set of curved to do her tail, legs, rosettes, and rounding her body. Straight are good if you are trying to get straight lines.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Keep using the snap on combs (are they the metal ones or plastic?), and just scissor to tidy up... Then you don't need to stress about getting it perfectly even with the combs, but also don't need to try and do an entire scissor trim all over. The combs will 'set' the length basically so you can just smooth out with scissors, and as time goes on and you get better you can do away with the combs if you wish. Or not. lol!

And in the end, it's only hair and while you're sure to have a few bits where you dip in and take a chunk off, it WILL grow back and you'll learn as you go!!!

Look online for proper scissoring technique and some exercises to do to help your fluidity and motions etc so you're less likely to dip and snip and take chunks! Think smoooooooth sweeping scissoring, not dip & snip. hehe. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I tried scissoring Poppy - she is tiny, it took forever, and is very difficult to get right without a lot of practice. I have decided decent clippers and the Wahl steel combs recommended elsewhere on here are the answer, and scissors just to tidy up top knot, tail and round the feet, and to blend in the legs and neck. There is not that much difference in price between good clippers and good scissors, and I find the clippers SO much easier!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts