Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking of getting a Metro Two Speed, 4 HP, AFTD-3. I'd like to know if it's a good dryer. Here is the link I am thinking of getting it. It's a canadian site.
https://www.businessvision.net/Edge/Main.asp?D={BC6BEDE5-BF5B-461A-95A1-E8E257843466}&PageType=Product&SKU=BD025&CategoryID=43

Now I am using a small shop vac. The hair coming out is powerful but I've never seen a real pet dryer so I can't compare. It dries fast but has no warm air. I use a small handheld airdryer to finish. I find it a bit tedious to have both in my small grooming area.

When I dry my poodle the hair goes straight and velvety but a few hours after it starts to get curly again. I was wondering if it's because I don't have the right technique to dry or if it's the dryer.

So my question is should I spend the money to get that dryer (or another one is the same price bracket)? This one has warm air so maybe it's better?

Any info on what a good pet dryer should have would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I got the edemco dryer and the double k xl 2000 2 speed dryer both delivered to my house. Please nevermind what happened and why I had both. lol Anyhow, the double k was like 250.00 (reg price)and the edemco was 400.00 (on sale). The commander worked just as well and will dry a poodle in show coat fast and straight.

I ended up keeping the edemco because of re-stocking cost's to have it returned. However, the double k 2 speed is a GREAT dryer for the money.

petedge and king wholesale both sell the double k 2 speed for 250.00. King wholesale keeps it stocked so you'll recieve it faster then petedge.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
646 Posts
Didn't look today but last time I looked they had some on clearence did you look in their clearence section? Usually I find www.renspets.com cheaper if it not on sale at Canadian pet supply house though. Rens is in Oakville or aberfoyle

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Mandy, I found the flyers and more choices are available there.

Now I am wondering if I should get the EDEMCO BEST IN SHOW (F160) stand dryer. Would I need another dryer to get close or should I get some hoses to go with it?

There are so many types out there it's very confusing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have the dryer you were looking at and also bought it from Pet Supply House. Renspets has it on sale now for less than PSH: http://www.renspets.com/index.php/product_details/view_product/warehouse/02/part_num/1800242

I like the dryer but it doesn't straighten my dog's hair as much as the groomer's dryer - which I would expect because she has a much better dryer :wink: The dryer you're looking at doesn't have any heat, though. The air is slightly warm but there's no real heat. I don't think heat is good for the dog's skin.

While I like being able to hold the hose close to the dog and get right near the skin, it is a pain when I need to use both hands (she's not too cooperative about her legs). If I was to do it over again, I'd seriously consider a stand dryer. If the Edemco has as much force, that would probably be a very good choice, in my opinion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Laube Magnum

Thank you much for your help. I spent days on the net and finally got one in the states. It has many favorable reviews from groomer's bbs and a web page someone from there made to show how to get the hair straight. It has no heat but they say the motor gets the air warm enough... Hope so

I'll link it here in case someone is also looking for a dryer.

http://groomblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/fluff-drying-pet-bichon.html

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That was a neat video series. I wasn't sure how the professional dryers got them so fluffy. I'm stuck with a hair dryer for now. Looks like you found a really good one. Let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
From what I've been told by my favorite groomer in town that shows her mini's and a few breeders that show as well, you can't go wrong with a edemco. They sell replacement parts and the power(force) is wonderful.I'm pleased with my edemco.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was a neat video series. I wasn't sure how the professional dryers got them so fluffy. I'm stuck with a hair dryer for now. Looks like you found a really good one. Let us know how you like it.
I finally got it yesterday. They were not sure about shipping to canada but I got the Laube Magnum Dryer and tried it on my mini yesterday.

I love it but it is not quiet that's for sure. I wrote back to ask if it was normal to be that loud. I heard the K9 was louder wow!

Anyhoo it has a dial to adjust the intensity on it and I used it half way for the first time. Half way was plenty strong I tell you. It has a 10' flexible hose and I had no problem working around the dog with it. I lowered the intensity for the ears and top knot.

I does throw a good heat after a little while. I got daddy's hair straight for the first time and he hadn't been washed. He just had been in the pool and I tried the dryer.

Very good job, can't wait to see after I've washed him, he's due for a bath soon.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have the Metro 3 2-speed and do like it, I do use a third arm on the grooming table. I think they are all loud. I use eye plugs and put cotton in the dogs ears. That way too they won't get a blast of air in their ear by mistake. Although I will look out for a standing one next.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Wow....I have dryer envy. :high5: You'll have to show us pictures once Daddy gets his first official dry with it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
LOL... that evil camera thingy. There it is again! I must flee before it sucks my powers away!

No telling what they think. He's such a cutie though. It would be fun to see him.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I am so very impressed. He looks like you took him to the groomer. You did a fantastic job with his trim and his hair is all so fluffy (in a very masculine way). What a handsome man is getting to be.

I see you strategically placed him on the washer so he couldn't run away from the camera! LOL. Thanks for posting his picture. He really is gorgeous. Great job! :first:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
OK, I have to ask. What size clipper blade did you use on his body? It looks like velvet, yet not too short. What length would you guess his hair to be on top of his back?

I need to buy some clipper blades and am debating about getting a 3 3/4 for the body since cold weather will start creeping it's way in. In the summer, I was thinking about getting a #4. Without seeing either after a cut, it's hard for me to know.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL thanks,

He must have felt like letting me take a pic because usually he always turns to face me. Also this week I followed him around and took tons of pictures to get him used to seeing the camera. I think he got tired of running lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, I have to ask. What size clipper blade did you use on his body? It looks like velvet, yet not too short. What length would you guess his hair to be on top of his back?

I need to buy some clipper blades and am debating about getting a 3 3/4 for the body since cold weather will start creeping it's way in. In the summer, I was thinking about getting a #4. Without seeing either after a cut, it's hard for me to know.
I clipped him with a 4F I'd say a good 5-6 weeks ago. I found it too short so I'm letting it grow. My brand new Oster wouldn't cut well either. Had to do his belly by hand. It's at the shop to get checked but I ordered an Andis 2 speed.

I found the oster to be way too heavy and hard to work around him. It should come soon and I'll try to use a blue wahl metal comb (# 1, 3/8") or the #2. I think one of those would keep his coat about the lenght he is now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts