Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone in a Facebook group for local pet owners recently asked for help with their bitey 3-month-old puppy.

The responses are almost all outdated variations of "SHOW IT WHO'S BOSS!!!" But the most recent one almost knocked me off the couch:

"Bite and/or mount him."

What's the craziest training advice or method you've ever encountered?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Years ago, shortly after I brought Lily home, I enlisted the help of a local trainer to help with her leash reactivity. She guaranteed that we could get this under control in a few sessions. In my naïveté, I believed her. One of the first things she said to me was to not give any treats as she would be dependent on treats. She then showed me how to use the martingale to provide corrections. It didn’t feel right but Lily was a challenge, a rescue dog with many issues, and I didn’t know what to do with her.

I tried this trainer’s methods for a week or so, and then one day we were walking and I gave Lily the “correction” and she looked up at me with such fear in her eyes that I immediately bent down, picked her up and hugged her and carried her home. That was the end of that method.

I talked to a lot of people and wound up taking her to a behaviorist who pointed us in the right direction.

Fast forward many years, and I still need to manage Lily’s reactivity, but it is so much better. Positive training methods coupled with an understanding of her fear based reactivity was the magic bullet. She regualarly competes at agility trials with a hundred or so other dogs and I can walk through an aisle crowded with many dogs and she trots along, focused on me. I will never be able to totally relax, as she can still react if the circumstances are right, but it’s very manageable.

So...long story about something stupid I was told that thank God, I eventually had the sense to abandon.
There’s a vulnerability with a dog that has a lot of behavioral issues. Its scary and you really need to trust your trainer. I was in way over my head with Lily. I learned, and she came out of it swimmingly, but if I had I stayed with the original methods and trainer, I’m don’t think she would be the dog she is today.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I follow many dog groups on Facebook and it would take me all day to list all stupid advice I read. In fact, I would say about 80% of what I read is not good advice.

Social medias unfortunately give a voice to those who should not be talking. Nowadays, everyone has an opinion on every subject and will offer advice. Some people do not have the ability to differentiate between expert advice and Joe Bloe advice.

That’s why I never respond to requests for advice on these groups. It would be too upsetting for me.

·
Premium Member
23,179 Posts
I had someone who came to class today with a small dog on a pinch collar. She is the daughter of a friend and I have known both of them for over 30 years. The mom has shown in obedience and the family has always had dogs. I wanted to get a feel for the daughter's dog so I let her use the pinch collar. She has been to other classes and private trainers with not much progress. Well apparantly the person who told her to use the pinch collar told her to pop the collar when the dog barked or otherwise misbehaved. Since we have recently been talking about how to introduce pinch collars when needed so that they can be faded around here recently I was pretty appalled. Additionally the dog totally did not connect the pinch collar to any effort to amend her behavior. And the collar was the correct size for Peeves (our 100 pound GSD) not for a small dog. They left with some attention games and a decision to change the dog onto a harness.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I follow many dog groups on Facebook and it would take me all day to list all stupid advice I read. In fact, I would say about 80% of what I read is not good advice.

Social medias unfortunately give a voice to those who should not be talking. Nowadays, everyone has an opinion on every subject and will offer advice. Some people do not have the ability to differentiate between expert advice and Joe Bloe advice.

That’s why I never respond to requests for advice on these groups. It would be too upsetting for me.
I probably shouldn't have engaged in that particular conversation, but how could I not? People were telling this woman to roll her puppy, pin it to the floor, hit it with a newspaper, spray it with water, use a shock collar.... The list goes on. ?

You're right, though. You barely need to scratch the surface of social media to find this stuff. And I have had multiple people out in the real world take Peggy's leash from my hand and give it a pop while telling me about the Dog Whisperer.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I probably shouldn't have engaged in that particular conversation, but how could I not? People were telling this woman to roll her puppy, pin it to the floor, hit it with a newspaper, spray it with water, use a shock collar.... The list goes on. ?

You're right, though. You barely need to scratch the surface of social media to find this stuff. And I have had multiple people out in the real world take Peggy's leash from my hand and give it a pop while telling me about the Dog Whisperer.
Ugh, I can't stand the Dog Whisperer!???️ There was a guy who lived in my apartment complex when Sisko was a little puppy and he would growl at Sisko when he jumped up on him. I wanted to growl back at him?, that might have been the only person Sisko didn't like, and when Sisko could go outside after his shots there was a lady with a Shiba Inu and when they first met Sisko went ham seeing them and wanted to play, and she praised her Shiba Inu for being submissive and said Sisko needed Cesar 911? she used it for her Shiba Inu and he would always seem unsettled and he could be scared of people??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts