Poodle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Now I’m really torn. He looks better, he came for his dinner and ate the whole thing without me having to hand feed him. He went outside right after as usual, peed and had a nice and firm poop. His temp is stable and I have pretty much no symptoms left.

If I cancel they’ll charge me 60$ but if I go it’s at least 300$-400$. I think I’d rather take a chance and make another appointment if he needs it.

That’s what I was talking about… I jump the gun too soon. Sigh.

I’ll take one more hour to decide if I go or not.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Taking the dog to the vet is like taking the car to the mechanic - in both cases they have no symptoms when you get there! In Merlin's case, though, I think it would be a good idea to keep the appointment - and it certainly would be good for you to know that he has been checked out.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, as we say in French « il n’y a que les fous qui ne changent pas d’idée » (only crazy people don’t change their mind) !

I did one last test to make up my mind. Result : for the second day in a row, he wouldn’t eat his night treat. It ended in Beckie attacking him to get it (I was quick and got a cushion to separate them).

So we’re going. I’ll let you know. I hope I’m not making you dizzy, lol !

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So we went to our appointment. I couldn’t be in the room for the exam but I explained to the technician before and gave them my sheet with all the infos. The exam was completely normal and revealed no issue whatsoever. He had no pain at anytime while being handled, even when the vet was testing to reproduce the pain he had when I moved his face.

We did a full blood panel, including pancreas. Everything was also normal, except the white blood cells were a little low, but not deformed. The vet is not worried, as it can happen in a dog his age (7).

So basically we were left with nothing, except pain (thanks @Streetcar). So the vet asked me if I wanted to take pain medicine (gabapentin 25 mg) now or come back if needed. After giving it some thought, I decided it was best to start giving it to him now, as he wouldn’t tell me if he has pain or not. The fact that it causes drowsiness and would make him sleep more appealed to me also, as it would help him sleep and rest. So I got a 5 days supply and can give it twice a day, three if necessary.

I gave him his first dose as soon as we got home. And I don’t know if it’s a coincidence, but one hour later he was back to being himself ! Completely.

I’m 500$ poorer but I will sleep well tonight. If I can only get rid of the chest pain I’m having. I didn’t realize this was causing me so much anxiety.

Thanks everyone for your support. Merlin says you’re the best ! :)

·
Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
300 Posts
Hoping for a speedy recovery. At least between the two of you, you will get a good night's rest.
I usually smile and tell my husband " it's only money". He's not always in agreement but he wouldn't want any of our dogs in pain either.
Sleep well and all the best.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed that both of you are on the road to recovery. Blessed be.

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
Ouch - expensive! But you have a good set of baseline test results, a comfortable dog and a peaceful heart. But do get your own pain checked out - my mother thought she had indigestion and it proved to be an emergency!

Reactions: Dechi

·
Premium Member
6,055 Posts
I'm late to this and so happy to read that he seems to be feeling better. Sending wishes that things stay this way.

Now, time for you to look after yourself!

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
I've no problem looking after your dogs when you cross the bridge, D.
But they have to be alive. ;)
So let's just keep everybody in good health. :)

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,965 Posts
I'm so glad Merlin's back to his usual self! In hindsight Mia (spoo) was starting to experience the aches and pains of aging around age 8. I noticed her slowing down at age 7.5 (there were very subtle but definite changes when she ran in the woods) and within a year I noticed that some days she just wasn't her usual self. I lived with her ups and downs until I figured out it was pain related, at which point she started Gabapentin daily and later Carprofen. Just a thought as you manage a vibrant, aging dog.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Dechi, I hope you are sleeping soundly by now. You are such a good dog mom!!
Thank you ! I think I was, with the help of a little pill, lol.

Awww, dear @Dechi, please, please do not hesitate to go to your own doctor, please, dear!!! It could be this stress, just maybe they can help with a med for your lovely self as well. Take care
Thank you for your concern. I have so many doctors I forget their names and I’ve been checked for heart disease thoroughly, among others. I have a severe anxiety disorder so I’m used to this pain but it hadn’t happened in a while so I was surprised. I did some breathing exercises and it relieved the pain (from being tensed without realizing it for a long time). If it hadn’t, I would have thought it was the heart, but I had an in-depth heart exam not long ago so that helps staying calm…

I've no problem looking after your dogs when you cross the bridge,
Thank you, yes, we’re staying safe !

I'm so glad Merlin's back to his usual self! In hindsight Mia (spoo) was starting to experience the aches and pains of aging around age 8. I noticed her slowing down at age 7.5 (there were very subtle but definite changes when she ran in the woods) and within a year I noticed that some days she just wasn't her usual self. I lived with her ups and downs until I figured out it was pain related, at which point she started Gabapentin daily and later Carprofen. Just a thought as you manage a vibrant, aging dog.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Merlin is a small dog (6-7 lbs) so I would think he shouldn’t be considered a senior at this age. Don’t toy poodles live to be 15 or 20 ? Whatever it is, if he needs the medicine he will have it.

About the cost (couldn’t get the « quote » button to work). The way vets do it around here now, they have so many clients that their regular appointments are in one month. Impossible to see a vet before that. For tech work, yes, it can be a few days. So what they do is they reserve a few slots everyday for emergencies, and instead of charging the usual 85$ for a vet visit, they charge 150$ for emergency consultation. With taxes, that’s 172,50$ and you haven’t done anything yet.

But, I always forget that now I have insurance for Merlin (except for his heart and patellas). So I’m expecting the insurance cie to pay about 300$. It takes them 4-6 weeks but eventually I’ll get the money. :)

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,965 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. Merlin is a small dog (6-7 lbs) so I would think he shouldn’t be considered a senior at this age. Don’t toy poodles live to be 15 or 20 ? Whatever it is, if he needs the medicine he will have it.
I know spoos are considered Seniors at age 5. Yes, 5 years old. I think most owners of a healthy 5 year old spoo would disagree, but to see early signs of aging in a spoo at age 8 is probably within the norm. How this translates to the other poodle varieties is a mystery to me.

·
Premium Member
24,960 Posts
I hope you had a good night (both of you). I think it is good you went even if he checked out fine.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I know spoos are considered Seniors at age 5. Yes, 5 years old. I think most owners of a healthy 5 year old spoo would disagree, but to see early signs of aging in a spoo at age 8 is probably within the norm. How this translates to the other poodle varieties is a mystery to me.
That's shocking! I bred standard poodles for quite a few years and would not have considered one to be a senior until 11-12 years. Mine generally lived to be 15 or 16. This was in the 70s and 80s. My dogs were the usual Wycliffe/BelTor background - Jaylee breeding. I did lose my best dog to complications of juvenile kidneys at age 5.

I hope some of the standard poodle breeders on this forum will comment on this.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Wow! I just noticed Maizie being stiff and sore when she got up from a nap, this was a day after ripping through the park at high speeds. She is 6. That was the first sign of age I noticed in either of the spoos :confused:

Awww, dear @Dechi, please, please do not hesitate to go to your own doctor, please, dear!!! It could be this stress, just maybe they can help with a med for your lovely self as well. Take care 💞.
I totally agree. My own physical health deteriorated due to anxiety/stress when my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I'm going to PM you some suggestions.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts