Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merlin hasn’t been feeling well since yesterday. He is more clingy and has low(er) energy. His heart rate and breathing rates are good. His temperature is about 1 degree celcius lower than it should be. He is eating and urinating. I haven’t seen a poop but he goes on the side of the house and it’s cold so I’m not outside and can’t see him. He doesn’t drink much usually and hasn’t gone to drink yesterday, but I fed him canned food, which contains lots of water. I put his pyjama on to keep him warm.

Oddly, his anxiety is lower than usual. This morning he went outside and had a treat. He wagged his tail a little. Now he is cuddling with me in a warm blanket. He usually doesn’t tolerate the heat (or cold) too long so he never stays very long on me. Let alone with a pyjama on and a blanket on top.

I’m very bad at deciding when I should go to the vet. I get worried very easily and usually take the dogs there really quickly. Most of the time I should have waited, it was just a temporary thing as humans have, and they were fine the next day. Vet prices have also went up so I would rather not do that and keep the money fornwhen they are really sick.

Of course if there is anything worrying I’ll take him immediately.

What would you do ?

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After I wrote this I couldn’t take it anymore and got him an emergency appointment at the vet. It’s a local vet and if they find something they can’t handle or if he needs overnight care, they’ll send me to a big vet center about 30 minutes away, i could have gone there directly but I’m hoping it won’t be necessary (they are a lot more expensive).

We have an appointment after dinner tonight. Wish us luck.

(Merlin is still wrapped in the blanket, on my belly. I can feel the warmth oozing. He usually wouldn’t tolerate that. Could he be fighting an infection of some sort ?)

·
Premium Member
24,960 Posts
If an infection I would expect him to have some level of fever.

I hope you get clear answers and that he has a comfortable day before the time for the appointment.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If an infection I would expect him to have some level of fever.

I hope you get clear answers and that he has a comfortable day before the time for the appointment.
Oh that’s true. That’s even more worrying then. :-(

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Glad you have an appointment set up. Let us know how it goes. Hoping it’s something minor and easily treated.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Possibly a toothache or headache? They get them too. Poor little guy. It's so hard when we don't know what's going on with them, and can't explain to them how much we wish we could help.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,965 Posts
I'm so glad you were able to get an appointment so quickly. Fingers crossed this is just a blip.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Possibly a toothache or headache? They get them too. Poor little guy. It's so hard when we don't know what's going on with them, and can't explain to them how much we wish we could help.
Toothache seems unlikely. He gets dental cleaning when needed and I brush his teeth. Last night when I did he didn’t seem to have discomfort. I decided not to skip it to check if he had pain. But it’s still a possibility.

I’ve never had any dog that made me think he had headaches but why not ? If that’s what it is, it will be an expensive headache…

·
Registered
9,686 Posts
Oh no. Hope he’s okay.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
I decided long ago that it was much better to make an appointment when I was worried than to lie awake all night racked with anxiety. Sometimes the fee is worth it just for reassurance and not having a sleepless night, and if it does prove to be something needing treatment I know it has been caught early. I hope Merlin's episode proves to be just a minor bug or something else easily treated or self limiting.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I agree with Apricot mini momma--you know him best and it's always better to be safe than sorry. Hoping it's something very minor! ((((hugs))))

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I'm sorry Merlin is not feeling well. Is it possible he slipped and fell when out of your sight, and has a sore neck? 🥰 all good wishes coming your way.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm sorry Merlin is not feeling well. Is it possible he slipped and fell when out of your sight, and has a sore neck? 🥰 all good wishes coming your way.
That’s possible, as he goes on the side of the house to do his business sometimes, and I can’t see him there. The snow is not slippery at the moment but who knows ?

I go outside with them sometimes and while I shovel or walk around, they get happy and excited because I’m around and start chasing each other. He might have fell then. I think we did this the day before yesterday, so that increases the odds.

I added it to the summary sheet I’m preparing for the vet.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts