Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
eva got tapeworms from fleas so i've wormed her.

tapeworms are not contagious.

i got wormer for the other three as a preventative and haven't wormed them yet.

temperance had just gotten spayed and the doc said wait a week til she's healed more from that .. well it's a week now and i can do it.

anyway, i'm dreading this. i haven't seen worm segments in the other three.

when i wormed eva within 15 minutes she started vomiting which is a side effect of the wormer.

is it a good idea to worm even when you don't have evidence? the cairns have drontal and the poof has virbantel.

i just hate having them all three pukey pups.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
There is really no harm in deworming. Alot of vets recommend it even if you dont see evidence of worms. There can still be worms without evidence of them. Drontal is one of the best, and virbantal is really good too. Make sure you give them with food to lessen the vomiting effect. We really dont see too many vomiting dogs on them, so i think the risk of all the dogs having trouble is minimul. I would do it.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with food? ugh. i wish my vet had told me that. eva was on an empty stomach.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
we use Strongid to deworm mostly up here. My dogs get done 2-3 times a year. It's not a big deal (strongid is caramel flavoured too- they love it)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
(strongid is caramel flavoured too- they love it)
Have you TASTED strongid or just smelled it?? :) The reason I ask is because it DOES smell marvelous, but I've accidentally tasted it when we wormed dozens of residents at the shelter on "worming day" and it really does not taste as good as it smells!! :wacko: :lol:

The other thing is that, while strongid is an excellent broad spectrum wormer, it does NOT eradicate tapeworm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts