Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In belated observation of WMHD and the recent news of Selena Gomez suffering a mental breakdown and seeking treatment, I just wanted to say that if you are suffering from a mental condition, please reach out for help. If you know someone who is suffering, please support them in getting help. It is easy to be defensive or in denial, but I just hope that those who truly need help will get it. There is no shame. Erase the stigma!

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Having had post partum anxiety in my family and a colleague (now retired) who I think is an undiagnosed bipolar along with knowing four people who had adult bipolar children commit suicide (two with pills, one shot himself in the head and the other threw himself in front of the A train (he left behind a wife and two little boys ages 3 and a couple of months)) I have to agree 100000000%. There is no need to suffer alone or to feel isolated or stigmatized. Psychological medications still have to get better, but at least there are decent drugs available to help many people.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I support what you say 100% One of my children s offers from what was diagnosed as bipolar really not sure but always suffered from severe anxiety and was constantly picked on when in school, not good at concentrating on school work. Loving person though who would help anyone. Easily taken advantage of and it still happens till a loner. The stigma is real folks...if half the people knew they would ignore her even more.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having had post partum anxiety in my family and a colleague (now retired) who I think is an undiagnosed bipolar along with knowing four people who had adult bipolar children commit suicide (two with pills, one shot himself in the head and the other threw himself in front of the A train (he left behind a wife and two little boys ages 3 and a couple of months)) I have to agree 100000000%. There is no need to suffer alone or to feel isolated or stigmatized. Psychological medications still have to get better, but at least there are decent drugs available to help many people.
Oh my gosh, how very tragic for those families :'( And you are right that psychopharmacology helps MANY to lead normal or closer to normal lives.

I support what you say 100% One of my children s offers from what was diagnosed as bipolar really not sure but always suffered from severe anxiety and was constantly picked on when in school, not good at concentrating on school work. Loving person though who would help anyone. Easily taken advantage of and it still happens till a loner. The stigma is real folks...if half the people knew they would ignore her even more.
I'm so sorry for your daughter's struggles, Mufar. She sounds like a very sweet person.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Bipolar disorder is extremely unkind. The young man who shot himself did so on December 22 and we had a funeral to go to on December 24th. His family and friends were devastated because he had done such an astounding job hiding his illness that they just were shocked and completely surprised by his final act. For the two young men who took pills the young people had overtly struggled for many years and ended their lives when they were feeling pretty level and even. I gather that this is often the case since the affected person does not want to experience the extremes of their illness again.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
We have a mental healthcare crisis in the US, sadly among many crises. Our prisons and bridge underpasses have become default mental healthcare facilities. I think the stigma of just about everything has been conquered, the resources and insurance caps are more of a problem. My niece was a cutter, and it kills me to see those silvery scars on her arms. Her parents immediately got her into therapy and the cutting stopped. A rising star at my former company suffered a breakdown at work. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and continued his trajectory with medication. His highly educated wife of seven years, thought it was mood swings. Know the signs and care enough to say something to the people in your orbit. Kim Kardashian, HELLO!!!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think all of the problems you mentioned still exist, Mfmst--stigma, resources and lack of insurance for so many, or caps.

I'm glad your niece is doing much better with treatment :love2:

Bipolar can be hard to recognize because it comes in such a spectrum. But here are the symptoms, for those who aren't familiar (taken from the Mayo Clinic website)

"People may experience:

Mood: mood swings, sadness, elevated mood, anger, anxiety, apathy, apprehension, euphoria, general discontent, guilt, hopelessness, loss of interest, or loss of interest or pleasure in activities

Behavioral: irritability, risk taking behaviors, disorganized behavior, aggression, agitation, crying, excess desire for sex, hyperactivity, impulsivity, or self-harm

Cognitive: unwanted thoughts, delusion, lack of concentration, racing thoughts, slowness in activity, or false belief of superiority

Psychological: depression, manic episode, agitated depression, or paranoia

Sleep: difficulty falling asleep or excess sleepiness

Whole body: fatigue or restlessness

Weight: weight gain or weight loss

Also common: rapid and frenzied speaking"

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
As many of you know, I have bipolar mental illness. I am on medication which is a help - but I struggles when I have to change my medication. The mood swings are the worst for me. Lucky I have Asta who is really a comfort to me - senses my moods and helps me. I am fortunate to have a wonderful psychiatric who I have been going to for 18 years. My heart goes out to all who suffer, especially those who do not have access to good mental health resources. This is so difficult to live with. Wonderful that there is a mental illness day to focus on those in need.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Claire, I'm so glad you have good medical care and of course your darling Asta to help you cope. Thank you for always being so open and honest :love2:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Astas mom..Thankyou for sharing. I did not know. My daughter was diagnosed 4 years ago. Medication is very expensive. I don't always understand what she goes thru but try. There are so many facets to bipolar to understand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts