Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We started working our spoos today for obedience and CGC. It was a nice day and a nice area to work at and it went well for their first day of official training.

Taffy on the heal, sit/wait, and recall

Wow! This makes her look so far away!

Here she comessssss.....

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Getting ready for the stop/sit. This was her first try!

sliding in...

Sooooo excited

Not quite in front of me but an excellent first run.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Billy's turn....

Sitting square...almost

Healing out to the recall spot

Bill's turn to be way out there...LOL Man, do I need to loose some weight!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I can't wait to see her in action!!
maybe you'll get video of their first competitions for us?!?! :D

XD
and I know you've been complimented on it before
but I love that clip shes in XD
if Elphie didn't have such an ...odd...looking body she'd be in that clip TOOT sweet!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coming to me

He hasn't learned to sit in front of me yet

A treat for me?!!

Waiting while the others have their turns

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't wait to see her in action!!
maybe you'll get video of their first competitions for us?!?! :D

XD
and I know you've been complimented on it before
but I love that clip shes in XD
if Elphie didn't have such an ...odd...looking body she'd be in that clip TOOT sweet!

When they are doing their work more consistently, we will get some video up of them working. I am so excited to finally get outside and get to work!!

Thank you on Taffy's clip. I'm loving it and so is she.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taffy's Zoomies!

Taffy has been in her heat cycle going on three weeks now. She spent the first two being very lethargic. A few days ago, she started to perk up but I couldn't let her out to run. She had a whole lot of pent of energy today so I put her panties on her and let her play ball after the training sessions were over.

She was amazingly funny...jumping and contorting and throwing the ball herself and then slapping it back to herself. It felt good to see her having such a good time again.

Dianne took the photos and got some good captures.

Flying with shear joy!!

Face disappears in ears?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK...I'm coming

Almost to me...

Heck NO! I've been cooped up for over two weeks. I'm not ready to go home yet! See ya.

It took a bit to calm her down but she finally settled. We did a few retrieves and she did it right on the third try. Then we quite for the day and everyone went home to crash.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they look fabulous

taffy says she wants to come play flyball :)
That would be fun to look into in the future. Right now I am concentrating on getting her CGC and first obedience title. Then, we plan to move on to agility training. We think we have found a class but are still waiting to hear back from them.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Ohhh they do look good!!!! It will be fun to see them in the obedience ring sometime, though I know the training that has to be done first! I'm currently back with training with Paris and starting again with a new trainer so we're starting from the beginning and covering all the basics again to 'fill in' the holes I missed when trying to teach myself! It makes SUCH a difference to have a good trainer spotting my mistakes!! lol! I've just been working on the recall stuff these past 2 weeks cos Paris is a bit of a brat at sitting, waiting, and then going into zoomies before coming into a nice sit. *sigh* lol! So loads and loads of 'front' work was done, and now loads of little tiny recalls (a step or two) into the proper sit are getting her focus back onto coming into a proper sit. hehehehe. Such fun to train! I know you'll have a heap of fun doing them both!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Ok... here it comes. It is not meant unkindly. Please remember that I have a terse style and I'm just trying to get the information out.

I think you are starting out too far. It is great that they come from a distance, but in reality you flunked both those recalls because both dogs were too far away from you when they came to a sit.

Ideally the dog would be right up in front of you practically toe to toe. The regulations say that you must be able to reach out and touch your dog. Bending over is ok, but if you have to get into a yoga pose to reach the dog, it is too far away.

Use clips to clip a treat on the front of your pants. This will encourage the dog to come up straight and close. The dog will learn to eat the treat off of the clip and won't always be looking for it from a hand.

I would work only on the end of a 6-8 ft leash. Recalls are as much about straight and close fronts as they are about anything else. Use shoots or some other physical barrier to encourage the dog to come in straight and sit close.

Ok a word about these. There are different things to use. Some people make a box out of PVC pipe and have the dog sit in that. I use long dowels to get my dogs to come in straight. The Beagle gal I know uses a small platform. All of these things encourage the dog to come in straight, sit close, and sit straight. Building this sort of muscle memory is one of the most important things in early training because if a dog learns to sit crooked, it is very hard to fix later.

Body language. In the ring, you have to be straight up and down with a quite and still body. Start that habit now so that your dog is used to it in the ring. You are essentially double cueing your dog when you bend over with your body.

Hope this helps....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts