Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been working exclusively from home for a while now and with Covid cases on the rise again where I am, it looks like it’ll be that way for a long time.

This morning I had my weekly check in with my in house coworker for our regular feedback session.

We both agreed that we’ve got a good rhythm going, we both understand our tasks and feel for the most part that the other person is doing a great job.

There was one thing we had to work through though. We have both noticed that sometimes, when we are trying to do our jobs the other one starts talking and interrupts our work.

My coworker raised a good point, he says that when he’s napping (his #1 most important task) I often get on the phone which interrupts the quality of his sleep. To which I responded, sometimes when I am deep in concentration or on the phone, he starts talking to the neighbors when they walk by the house. He then reminded me that keeping an eye on the neighborhood is his #2 task.

I could not disagree with this, so we have come to the understanding that we are just going to have to live with each other occasionally interrupting.

How are your poodles doing with your current work situation?

Here’s my coworker taking his morning nap very seriously.

View attachment 471188

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Lol! I am working from home and probably will be permanently at home. With four dogs, they often feel compelled to enter the myriad of Zoom meetings I’m in. Many of my meetings are informal, just quick check ins and I encourage people to point out the pets/ kids in the house. I don’t feel it stands in the way of productivity unless it is excessive. It’s a nice personal touch that helps
people feel connected.

However, I also have more formal meetings, and I take steps to limit their ability to interject their opinion. I-work in our loft, which is on the second floor and open to the downstairs via the balcony. So noise travels. I have a baby gate on the stairs so they are not running around in the background. If it’s a meeting that I need to run and need quiet, I put them in a downstairs bedroom for the duration, turn the TV on, and close the drapes. It’s been effective.

Those are my strategies- wonder what everyone else is doing!

·
Super Moderator
2,031 Posts
Our Covid shutdown started the week I got Galen, so he's never known a time when I didn't work from home. I've had him join a few conference calls, but they don't much interest him. He seems to think his job is to be my work life balance coach. At 4:45 he will be at my desk encouraging me to wrap up for the day.

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
243 Posts
I'm working from home and my co-worker takes me with him on his bathroom breaks where, after, he shares a treat and dance with me. Though there are a lot of these breaks, I suspect he is only partially going so that he can create more treat opportunities. This doesn't work out as well when I'm on a work call and he ends up peeing inside only 20 minutes after our last pee break.

Though his number one job is being a professional napper. He is a new employee, just been with the firm for a week, but his performance reviews on the napping have been excellent. He is so efficient in napping that he has taken some of the workload from me and reduced my nap times drastically.

Here is a picture at peak efficiency.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am not working from home but I am doing Zoom classes for college and will be doing more next semester. I have found that having my dogs in my bedroom with me has worked the best and most of my classmates have distractions around them as well. I like to supply either a stuffed kong or a yak chew to keep them busy and I can usually take them on a walk before hand which helps .

·
Premium Member
12,861 Posts
My Mum doesn't work much because she is re-tired, which I think may mean she needs to sit around a lot doing not very much, but she does have long chats to nice people on her computer and my job is to tell her when it is time to stop and take us outside for a pee or give me medicine and a meal. Too much sitting is not good for humans, so I make sure she gets up and out every hour or so, and Sophy and I take her out for walks so she can get some fresh air and daylight and talk to a few other humans - it's called so-shall-I-sing, or something like that, but I don't know why as they just talk, but the cats say it is very important for humans to do it often or they get all miserable and may even stop getting out of bed altogether. Anyway, we are all working hard to make sure that everything goes on as usual, with a proper getting up time and teeth cleaning and regular meals and walks, even though it's dark and wet and dreary, and Mum says we are very Good Dogs, and she is very glad that she has us and the cats to help her, as otherwise she would probably be spending her days under the duvet with DVDs and a bottle of gin!

Poppy xxx

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I had to give my coworker a stern talking to this morning. She failed at one of her primary duties last night. Lately, I have been falling asleep on the couch, and she wakes me up at midnight or so to let her out, I brush my teeth, and we go upstairs to bed. Last night, my mom let her out before bed. I woke up, thought, it's chilly and I am stiff, I should go up to bed, checked the clock and.... 6 am. My coworker had forgotten to wake me up, and spent a chilly night curled in a small ball on the other couch.

During our discussion of my grievances, my coworker registered the complaint that i had also been remiss in my duties last night, as I had gone to the city for groceries and been gone for HOURS without her, had only taken her for one walk which was VERY LATE, and responded to her other requests to DO SOMETHING by rolling over on the couch, and pulling a blanket over my head. When she continued to try and find something fun to do after I ignored her, I put her on a leash and tethered her to me on the couch, where I went back to sleep! This was a violation of the Poodle Employment Standards Act that will not be tolerated in the future.

We have agreed to try and have a more mutually satisfying day today, and attempt to set a better schedule.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All these stories are making me laugh. Thanks everyone!

The Poodle Employment Standards Act was also violated in our workplace this morning. I had a 6 am conference call and it’s really cold. Instead of our morning walk, my poor poodley coworker had to do his morning business in the yard (can even you imagine?!). He’s been ignoring me ever since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts