Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, one of the groomers at the shop I work at met Desmond for the first time last week. She LOVED him, and was like "ooh, I want to get my hands on him" lol. She knew I want to learn how to groom, so she offered to groom him while I'm not working and have me watch her, which was REALLY awesome of her. It was great. I -basically- knew most of the stuff she did (obviously not nearly as well/as quickly. Just scissoring and shaping the legs and topknot), but it's really great to be able to SEE someone do it, and know that it's the right way to do it. It was great, and I learned some really important things about shaping, setting a pattern, & especially how to trim up his rear.

Anyway, onto pictures!! She took a LOT of hair off of him! The main thing I noticed was that she was a lot more confident with taking off hair hahaha. I'm really conservative when I scissor him, I don't want to make him look stupid but she's like "Chop chop chop" and he looks GREAT. Hahha that's something that comes with experience though, I'll keep practicing. :)

Before, one month ago: (his hair's gotten a bit longer since then, it's hard to tell how messy he looks here, but it was pretty bad)

After!

German trim, with ears left. He looks excellent, it looks really great, especially in person and in comparison to how he looked before hahaha.

Enjoying kisses from grandma. :) Hahaha you can see his little itty bitty carrot tail wagging. Heather (the groomer) was endlessly amused with how tiny she had to make the carrot on his short little tail lol.

chilling at work in on of the playpens, with his tennis ball to keep him busy (not barking lol).

Okay, I got a question for you guys. Heather didn't touch his ears, and they were already too long for my tastes. She thought I should leave the ears like they are, since we were talking about me trimming them up when I got home. She thinks they balance the trim perfectly, but I think the opposite. To me, it seems to throw off the entire trim. I LOVE the way she trimmed his body, it's tight and smooth and great. His ears are long and sticky-outy and messy, it looks so wrong to me. When he looks straight at you, it's reminiscent of a clown lol. They looked fine with an equally messy topknot and body, but next to a smooth trim it looks odd to me.

What do you think? I kind of want to trim them short (not shaved... maybe.) but Heather is the groomer, she knows better than me. Do they look okay? If I was to trim them, how short would I go, and how should I do it? (attachment comb, just straight scissoring?) Maybe I should leave them... They would look better if they were laying flat, I think.
blah blah blah listen to me ramble. :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I see 2 thingts that pop out at me and neither one are his ears. I immediately looked at the tuck-up and the front legs. From the side view, his legs and his chest are so flat in the front. Take more hair off the front of the front legs so it looks as if his legs are planted. squarely under him and make his chest appear fuller, rounder, not flat fronted. His tuck up needs moved forward so the center (highest point) of his body is close to the middle. This is achieved by leaving length on the front of the upper back leg (is that the stifle?) I love his topknot and he still has layered puppy ear fur. Leave it grow. He's so cute and I can tell he's momma's baby boy

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
This has been the week for new hairdos. He looks awesome too! I love his ears just the way they are. They don't drag into his food at this length do they? If not, |I would leave them. They look wonderful as they are.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Partial2Poodles: yeah, we noticed the issue with the chest too. We weren't able to shape the chest the way we wanted due to a previous mistake of mine. She evened it out for me, and it looks a ton better than before, though she did put the "bump" of the chest too far down. Oh wells, it still looks fine, in my opinion.
The thing about the tuck up was that we weren't able to leave much hair under his front legs/chest area either, because his hair there is awful. It mats up in like 3 seconds, is thin, and all over just nasty. I dematt that area frequently, but Desmond hates it and we decided to just cut that part short. The hair on his stomach/tuck up area is equally awful, but thankfully mats less, but it's impossible to scissor properly. She left hair there initially to shape a tuck up, but I guess agreed that it would not work right with that hair. It's wavy and thin down there, not thick and curly like the rest of his fur. We're just kind of starting new down there, letting it grow in better. He'll get a proper tuck up and chest as his hair grows, but for now, I just like a fresh start! Honestly, the pics don't do it justice. He looks strikingly handsome irl. :) Very smooth scissoring, and his eyes really pop.

I'm not worried about his ear hair getting in his food lol, I just hate really long ears. They look silly to me, especially with a separated topknot. They're not even that long, but they just look so goofy right now, the way they're growing out. It's not puppy layering, he's a year old (too old for that short to be the natural length of his ears) and since I've scissored them short before, that's layering from a haircut a few months back.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
he looks great!!! He could do with a *slightly* better fluff dry to get a truely plush finish, but he does look really good!
I'm inclined to want his ears tidied up properly too... Just use scissors yourself and see how you go I say, you can always shave them down with a 4F or something if you simply can't scissor them evenly!!! I preferred to scissor Paris' ears when they were short, if you hold up the ear so it's sticking straight out from the head, and holding the front edge of it, comb all the hair down to the back edge, and scissor it off leaving maybe a cm (1/2") from the edge of the ear, and round the edges slightly (especially the outside of the ear) then holding the back edge of the ear, comb it all to the front edge and do the same thing. Then you've got a fair even shortish length to work with, trim the bottom tip and just round over the outer side of the ear to neaten...

Hmm, reading that again I'm not sure that it makes any sense... lol, I'll try get pics sometime! haha! This was Paris' ears when I did them like that previously though:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ahh what a cutie. I would clip the ears to but for a different reason.
I don't like when they make that line between top knot and ears I don't get the point of it. I like blended so I would cut themback till they all grew in even again.

Had a friend once show me how to groom and did the line to
Casey the next week I shaved his ears off LOL.
Just my opinion though and he sure is a doll

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Wow!!! He looks amazing. He knows it too! Look at him smile at the camera.

It's pretty neat you got to watch her groom him. He just looks so fabulous.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BFF- yeah it was really cool! I loved seeing all the little techniques she used. I'd read about them, but never seen them done, and seeing it makes a HUGE difference!
And he is so prancy and bouncy since he got cut lol. I think he feels good, and he loves that whenever I look at him I'm like "GOSH you're so cute!" hahah. He knows he looks good, even when he hasn't been groomed he looks adorable, and he shows off especially after a bath and groom!

He looks so tall now, and with such long legs. He had long long hair and I never realized how chunky it made him look- he's actually got a really nice body under all that hair! I know it's hard to tell in pictures, but he really looks a ton different and better in person. So clean up and smooth.. ahhh he's so fun to cuddle! :)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think he looks handsome in his 'new doo'. To me, the ears could be either way, I like them like they are.. don't think it makes him look 'off'... but I like the way flyingduster has the ears on Paris too. One thing, if you clip the ears and decide you liked them longer on him, they always grow back! :) The beauty of the poodle...lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts