Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys!

This is so crazy and I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience. My mini is three and has never had an issue walking on leash. For the first time ever, I let him go off leash at the dog beach. He did so wonderful and LOVED it! We went three days in a row. Now he REFUSES to walk with the leash on! I can't believe it, the moment he feels any kind of light tug he puts his head to the ground and looks up at me. I took him to the vet, they did not detect any injuries. I spoke with a trainer who advised me to use treats to get him to move. He won't even look at my high quality treats. He has always been stubborn but this is a new level.

·
Super Moderator
9,054 Posts
Are you able to get a video? I feel like the nuances here could be important.

It doesn’t sound like “stubbornness” to me, and in fact, I don’t think that word often applies to dogs. They do what’s reinforcing. They avoid what’s punishing.

My hand once got far inside Peggy’s mouth while we were playing with a stuffed toy. She was shocked and spit it out as carefully as she could. For weeks after that, I couldn’t get her to play tug. If I applied the slightest pressure, she would drop the toy and step back.

Did something happen at the beach while he was on leash? Maybe you pulled him away more forcefully than you usually would? Or another dog approached while he was tethered?

When a dog refuses high value treats, I tend to think they’re over threshold or shut down by fear. He could also be trying his hardest to avoid confrontation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts