Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Koda is three years old and he has never been one to play with toys Bella is five and she plays with them a lot is there anything I can do to get him to play with his toys and is this normal he is a sweet gentle dog.

Kathy

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Some dogs just do not like toys and other play with them all their lives. There isn't anything wrong with this! If you want to get him more interested, perhaps you can play with him with the toy. Some dogs are just bored playing with a toy by themselves! I think it is a sign of intelligence. Maybe it is a sign of laziness. It takes all kinds!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris was over 2 years old before I got hold of her and she had no idea how to play tug. Though she would chew and play with toys a bit by herself.

I got a toy. It was a long skinny monkey toy. It was MY monkey!! The monkey lived ontop of a shelf at work (where Paris spent time with me before I ever took her home) and througout the first week of me teaching her, I'd take a few mins out of what I was doing and do the following: I'd hunch over and do an exagerated sneak, I'd tell Paris in a 'sing song' voice how *I* was goooonnna go get the moooooooonkey.... I'm gonna get the mooooooooonkey! and I'd stalk about over to the shelf.... Paris was just following me cos I was being weird, wagging her tail cos it looked like I was happy too, though she wasn't certain yet. I'd get to the shelf, I'd still be teasingly telling her how I'm getting the monkey, then I'd reeeeeeach up for the monkey, I'd find it, I'd hold it up, and then I'd run everywhere! I'd flip the monkey about, I threw it in the air and laughed, caught it and jumped about, I had SOOO much fun with the monkey!!! I LOVED the monkey! I'd dodge outside and bounce around, laughing and giggling about THE monkey! By this time Paris was really excited! I was being really silly and fun and happy, so she would too, though she had NO idea why! I'd make my way back to the shelf, still having over-the-top fun with the monkey, and NOT letting Paris have it and essentially ignoring Paris, then I'd pause, holding the monkey up, and put it back. I'd then be standing up straight, and go back to whatever I was doing before as if nothing had happened. Paris was still high as a kite and thought I should be too, but she was soon just wondering what on earth had happened. It lasted maybe 30 seconds.

I did that at least 2-3 times throughout the day. Within a few days Paris was *DESPERATE* for that monkey!!! I was having SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun with the monkey by myself, that she was SURE she could have fun with it too! I never let her have it, and I ignored her when I was having MY fun with it.

After a few days I'd start flicking it at her so she'd try grabbing it but not really. Over the days I'd start including her more, eventually letting her play tug (cos she really wanted to by then!) but always stopping while she was still hot for it, so she always wanted more.

It worked GREAT for me, cos Paris loves tugging now, and I can imagine the same method would help teach him toys are fun. But the key is that Paris never got to just play with the monkey whenever she wanted, or she wouldn't be revved up TO play with it. She has free access to toys now, and the monkey has long since been ripped to shreds in tug of war games, but she'll play tug with any of her toys laying around if I ask her to now, as well as happily play with her toys by herself.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Paris was over 2 years old before I got hold of her and she had no idea how to play tug. Though she would chew and play with toys a bit by herself.

I got a toy. It was a long skinny monkey toy. It was MY monkey!! The monkey lived ontop of a shelf at work (where Paris spent time with me before I ever took her home) and througout the first week of me teaching her, I'd take a few mins out of what I was doing and do the following: I'd hunch over and do an exagerated sneak, I'd tell Paris in a 'sing song' voice how *I* was goooonnna go get the moooooooonkey.... I'm gonna get the mooooooooonkey! and I'd stalk about over to the shelf.... Paris was just following me cos I was being weird, wagging her tail cos it looked like I was happy too, though she wasn't certain yet. I'd get to the shelf, I'd still be teasingly telling her how I'm getting the monkey, then I'd reeeeeeach up for the monkey, I'd find it, I'd hold it up, and then I'd run everywhere! I'd flip the monkey about, I threw it in the air and laughed, caught it and jumped about, I had SOOO much fun with the monkey!!! I LOVED the monkey! I'd dodge outside and bounce around, laughing and giggling about THE monkey! By this time Paris was really excited! I was being really silly and fun and happy, so she would too, though she had NO idea why! I'd make my way back to the shelf, still having over-the-top fun with the monkey, and NOT letting Paris have it and essentially ignoring Paris, then I'd pause, holding the monkey up, and put it back. I'd then be standing up straight, and go back to whatever I was doing before as if nothing had happened. Paris was still high as a kite and thought I should be too, but she was soon just wondering what on earth had happened. It lasted maybe 30 seconds.

I did that at least 2-3 times throughout the day. Within a few days Paris was *DESPERATE* for that monkey!!! I was having SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun with the monkey by myself, that she was SURE she could have fun with it too! I never let her have it, and I ignored her when I was having MY fun with it.

After a few days I'd start flicking it at her so she'd try grabbing it but not really. Over the days I'd start including her more, eventually letting her play tug (cos she really wanted to by then!) but always stopping while she was still hot for it, so she always wanted more.

It worked GREAT for me, cos Paris loves tugging now, and I can imagine the same method would help teach him toys are fun. But the key is that Paris never got to just play with the monkey whenever she wanted, or she wouldn't be revved up TO play with it. She has free access to toys now, and the monkey has long since been ripped to shreds in tug of war games, but she'll play tug with any of her toys laying around if I ask her to now, as well as happily play with her toys by herself.
That was such a funny story, you got me also excited to play and I don't even have a poodle to play with :rofl:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ditto to EXACTLY what flyingduster said.

I keep the toys that everyone gets reeved up about hidden and use only when training. They get all googly eyed at them. LOL

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
3 out of 4 of my poodles love playing with toys, especially squeek toys. Both standards absolutely love toys, and 1 toy poo likes toys pretty well also, but our other toy poo will not play with toys, but loves to play with cardboard or any type of paper. She likes to tear it up into little pieces. She does not eat it, but rips it up, pouncing on it , like a cat would do with a mouse. When she is done ripping it up she is done, she looks at us as if to say, "well give me another piece of cardboard to play with".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts