Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunter knows the command come. We practice it indoors and outdoors and in different places.

However, when he knows I am going out and will put him in his crate, he runs and hides. He is really smart. He can tell with little things that I am leaving...especially if I go to the bathroom. I've tried treats, different voice tones etc...

Of course, when I come home he is sitting in his crate waiting for me.

What can I do?

·
Registered
586 Posts
not much you can do, milo does this as well. i find putting him in the crate prior to me getting dressed for work helps since doesnt take me too long to get dressed. they are smart little buggers and knows routine so well.

i certainly dont use the command "come" when i want him to go in the crate. i usually call his name, then open the crate door and say "in". 80% of the time he goes in himself. 20% of the time, i just pick him up and put him by the crate and he goes in himself. the command "come" for me is for happy things so rewards,treats,etc since i use this command a lot to train recall.

milo has free run of the house now, i am not sure if hunter is reliable with this since you had some potty issues.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I agree 100% that it's unwise to use a "come" command (whatever you use when it's critical for the dog to come to you) and then do something unpleasant. Zoe absolutely would never come if she thought it was going to result in something she does not like.

Same goes for "down". I use "lie" on the grooming table and reserve "down" for agility and obedience.

·
Premium Member
22,890 Posts
Most definitely do not use your come command to then end all fun and put him in the crate. You will probably have to rework your recall and you might think about using a different word for it. Separately for getting him in the crate, practice lots of collar grabs and then release him to go back to playing while you are doing something interactive with him that he enjoys. After he has gotten used to that I would play a little bit with him before you have to leave and end it by taking him to the crate with your hand on his collar. Have a really wonderful goodie at the crate that he will enjoy and that he gets at no other time as a way to "pay" for going in. My dogs aren't crated when we leave, but after years of me paying them with special goodies on my way out the door they barely even take note of my leaving. I also wouldn't say good bye or make any kind of big deal out of leaving once Hunter is in the crate.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Yes I agree, most dogs won't come if they know its going to end fun. I always try to make come pleasant and will pause time a bit if there is something I need to do like stop playing, I kind of change the mind set before going inside the house. When we play fetch I use "bring it" as there are times he won't and then I just sit down in a chair and stop playing, usually he will bring it and keep dropping it at my feet. Come means come and when he does is all good even if he jumps on me, lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts