1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
They may share DNA but not epigenetics. If you look carefully you will see one dog appears to be slightly smaller or shorter than the other.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's hard to infer from a photo alone. i think we might need vital statistics. and even then i'm not sure the cloners know enough to have the whole story. maybe that's part of what i find so mind-blowing.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
It will be interesting to see where all this goes as it becomes more common and financially within reach. Fifty thousand is a lot of money, but it’s on the same level as buying a fancy speed boat or several years of expensive country club memberships.

Cloning may be happening more than we know, and I have often wondered if humans have already been cloned in a lab somewhere. This technology is not going away. As the mother of a son who will need a kidney transplant eventually, I wish cloned kidneys were available. Thousands die each year waiting for a kidney. There are good aspects to this, it’s not all scary Frankenstein like scenarios.

However, there is a huge ethical component to all this and I worry that for- profit companies will not manage it well. That’s the biggest issue I see.

Would I clone my dog? Probably not, it does seem creepy to me, but we are living in a brave new world.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
carolinek, i am sorry to hear about your son. his case would be the kind that would make the most sense for cloning, but i am assuming it would not mean cloning a whole human being.
the unethical part seems to be built into the human genome. have you read the news about the scientist in china who did work on the dna of human embryos and claims they are now full-fledged human babies? it's like some of the worst sci-fi movies.
i don't think i'd clone a beloved pet. to be frank, it sounds kind of creepy. but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
park- agreed, cloning body parts is one thing, an entire human with thoughts, feelings, a life purpose, is another. Just because we can do it doesn’t mean we should.

And thank you for the kind sentiments about my son, it’s a progressive hereditary illness, his father had the same thing. The good thing is I may be a match, but he’s not at that point yet.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
I am still not satisfied that it is worth the five figures, given the ethical considerations and no guarantees that the clone would have the same spirit, personality. I don’t care about any color discrepancies. It’s Stephen King Pet Semetary territory, as far as I’m concerned, so yeah, creepy...

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anyone wonder if our pets would clone us if they were in the position to do so? might it make us more humble to hear the answer?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
anyone wonder if our pets would clone us if they were in the position to do so? might it make us more humble to hear the answer?
100% yes, they would. My dogs are as in love with me as I am them and I give them a pretty fun life! Wish we could be together forever to enjoy the life we have.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that’s one answer re humility, i guess. :) possibly we need more folks to chime in!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Well, you know, humility is one of my assets :lol: But for real, people tell me all the time they'd want to come back as one of my dogs.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm sure that's true. but the point is that human judgment is exactly what is being questioned here.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I think Miracle would clone me. I love seeing her reaction when it's a weekend or a break/vacation day and she realizes she gets to spend more time with me. She's right there by my side or racing around from excitement. I have been separated from Jasper too much to consider this question with him, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think Miracle would clone me. I love seeing her reaction when it's a weekend or a break/vacation day and she realizes she gets to spend more time with me. She's right there by my side or racing around from excitement. I have been separated from Jasper too much to consider this question with him, unfortunately.

how sweet it is! i've always thought it possible hachiko would have cloned his master. or that horse who had the same master for 20 years. when the owner died and was buried, the horse was brought to the funeral. it whinnied and lay its head on the casket. that's love.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Dogs definitely know who they love and don't like. I can honestly say Miracle chose me before I chose her. She was the first adult dog I took in/rescued at almost 6 years old. I wanted a dog that would form a strong bond with me, and I wasn't sure an older dog would, but she surprised me. Initially when I met her, she growled at me; but, once I was inside her foster mom's house, everything changed. Even though I was a stranger, she wanted to sit next to me, then sit in my lap, and then show me her favorite toy (according to her foster mom, she wasn't showing any interest in the toys she came with). I expressed sadness that she had to leave her first mom, even apologized to her and felt really bad. I took her home with me a few weeks later. No regrets.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Pretty sure Buck would clone me. He would love to have another option, from the “me” who is “working” to one who can engage. Plan B!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts