Poodle Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Ahhh yes. Habits developed at such a young age can be so hard to break. I should probably have worked harder on this.

Peggy also startles easily if you touch her back end. Again, this seems like it could be related to docking. But there's no way to know for sure. I sometimes use the clicker for some short desensitizing sessions.

I'd personally prefer our next dog's tail be undocked. But I won't compromise on breeder quality. If the Canadian border ever opens again, it might be easier to find someone who ticks all the boxes.

Peggy, I think you are right. There is a correct way to dock that involves pushing the skin back toward the body and cutting between vertebrae. I have never, ever, had a poodle that I docked using those precautions end up with a sensitive tail.
I wish all breeders would be so careful. :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I looked at the Wolfe Island web page and their Facebook info - definitely not impressed. It seriously looks like a puppy mill to be avoided. The same applies to Lucky's Legacy.

Docking tails and removing dewclaws occurs at 2 to 3 days of age - before the nervous system in the extremities is very developed. Experienced breeders normally do this themselves since most veterinarians dock tails much too short. Tail docking is done for reason of appearance. Dewclaws are removed to prevent their being torn later in life (our rescue Lab did not have hers removed and has torn them several times - resulting in a lot of pain).

Reputable breeders test their breeding stock for heritable diseases. You will find the list of heritable diseases for each size of poodle on the poodleclubofamerica.org - click on "All About Poodles - Health Concerns. Donnchada is certainly reputable. My miniature from Donnchada came with certified pedigrees for each parent and copies of health testing for each parent. Betty Brown, owner of Donnchada, is best reached by phone that by web site. Her phone number is 713-305-0120. The web site is donnchada.com. She is located northwest of Houston.
You’re so amazing thank you so much, I almost gave luckys legacy a deposit yesterday but my heart wouldn’t let. Finally Betty just replied to me and I am so excited, already I can tell she knows what she is doing. If declawing is what’s best for them I don’t mind doing it, as long as they go through a vet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ahhh yes. Habits developed at such a young age can be so hard to break. I should probably have worked harder on this.

Peggy also startles easily if you touch her back end. Again, this seems like it could be related to docking. But there's no way to know for sure. I sometimes use the clicker for some short desensitizing sessions.

I'd personally prefer our next dog's tail be undocked. But I won't compromise on breeder quality. If the Canadian border ever opens again, it might be easier to find someone who ticks all the boxes.

I wish all breeders would be so careful. :(
I did contact a Canadian breeder but forgot that the border is still closed, I also got in contact with a breeder in Texas Donnchada and she finally replied . I will do more research about them and see if they offer everything I am looking for.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
I did contact a Canadian breeder but forgot that the border is still closed, I also got in contact with a breeder in Texas Donnchada and she finally replied . I will do more research about them and see if they offer everything I am looking for.
Good luck. :)

If a breeder doesn't do formal temperament testing, but still waits until 7 weeks to match puppies to their best homes, I'd totally be okay with that, too.

It's the breeders that let prospective buyers choose a puppy based solely on colour at 4 or 5 weeks that I'd like to avoid in the future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm also very happy it's Friday!

I've not heard of Wolfe Island Poodles. Have you visited them yet? Or just spoken on the phone?

I learned my lesson with Peggy and would only consider a breeder now who temperament tests before matching their poodle puppies with prospective owners. This can't be done until 7 weeks, so a breeder who lets buyers choose before then is doing a disservice to both puppy and human. It's in everyone's best interest that you're matched with the right puppy for you.

What kind of health testing and early socialization does Wolfe Island do? Doing a quick google search, it looks like they offer their studs for doodle breeding. In fact, they are open to breeding them with "any large breed."

This could be a red flag, so I'd recommend not proceeding until you've checked out where the puppies are raised and met the dam (and ideally the sire, too, if possible).
I stayed away from any breeder who either sold doodles or offered stud services to non poodles. I also required genetic testing of their sites and dams with a min 1 year health guarantee.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I stayed away from any breeder who either sold doodles or offered stud services to non poodles. I also required genetic testing of their sites and dams with a min 1 year health guarantee.
I never knew they offered doodle services wow, thank god I went with a different breeder.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
I never knew they offered doodle services wow, thank god I went with a different breeder.
When doing online breeder research, unless it's a well-known, well-respected, longstanding kennel name, I recommend googling the breeder's phone number, email address, and first and last name. Each of these details may be floating out there, linked to other branches of their business that they may not want advertised to their target puppy buyer.

In some cases, when I'm feeling extra suspicious, I will google a block of text from their website, too, to see if it pops up on other pages. You want text that describes how "great" they are, without explicitly mentioning poodles.

With this method, I've identified puppy brokers masquerading as breeders and other scams.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Rose n Poos developed a great starter list, and in the first post good things to look for in a breeder:

Be sure to read the rest of the posts too as it was impossible to get everyone in the first list. There are others too, but her thread is an excellent start! She put a lot of time and effort into it with input from many of us.

Best of luck!
Where are you located?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts