Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s cost me 1500$ in one week in health care for both dogs, so I shopped online and found pet insurance at a reasonable price.

Since Becky is 3 and Merlin is 6, they both have a pretty thick patient file at the vet, so I know there will be a few (many) pre-existing conditions for which the insurance company will deny insurance.

Does anyone know which of these conditions they usually refuse ?

Beckie : ear infections, anal glands, chronic pancreatitis and gastro

Merlin : anxiety disorder, ear infections, gastro

I’ve made sure I can cancel and get 100% refund if there are too many pre-existing conditions per dog.

What do you think ? Will I end up with very little coverage, or even none ?

Do you think it’s still worth it to get insurance at all if these pre-existing conditions prevail ?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I’ve heard that a lot of pet insurance is not worth it, considering that if you save the money that you would be paying, it would wind up being cheaper, as they tend to raise the rates quite frequently.

Back when I looked into it, I got a quote for my older dog. Misty, a healthy, perfect condition spayed 9 year old female Jack Russell Terrier mix with no pre-existing conditions would have had me paying around $102 a month with a deductible of $700. This is cheap, compared to what I’ve heard. Having no deductibles shot the price up to $320. It should also be noted that this typically only covers the unexpected vet visits. No spay, no teeth cleanings, and certainly no exams or shots.

Ear infections might be pre-existing, and I would say that chronic pancreatitis would be more so. I think that this just means that insurance won’t pay for anything to do with those conditions, and it may be possible that it would raise the price, too (even if they won’t pay for it).

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back when I looked into it, I got a quote for my older dog. Misty, a healthy, perfect condition spayed 9 year old female Jack Russell Terrier mix with no pre-existing conditions would have had me paying around $102 a month with a deductible of $700. This is cheap, compared to what I’ve heard. Having no deductibles shot the price up to $320. It should also be noted that this typically only covers the unexpected vet visits. No spay, no teeth cleanings, and certainly no exams or shots.
I waited so long because I too, was getting quotes way too high. But not this time. It’s 84$/month for both dogs and I even have dental for Beckie. Deductible is 100$ for Beckie and 250$ for Merlin. This is the same amount I was saving monthly, but one whole year of saving wasn’t nearly enough to cover the bills for one week of vet visit for both dogs.

I’ve done the math, even did a spreadsheet to compare with insurance and without, and it’s worth it. But as I said. I might change my mind for one or both dogs, depending on what conditions are not included.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I hope this works out for you all! Get everything you can in writing, document everyone you speak with, even to recording phone calls if that's legal.

Have you checked with your vet to see what companies they accept, if that's a factor, and which companies they might speak well of?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope this works out for you all! Get everything you can in writing, document everyone you speak with, even to recording phone calls if that's legal.

Have you checked with your vet to see what companies they accept, if that's a factor, and which companies they might speak well of?
Yes I have. The company they are most accustomed to is 50% more expensive,without added benefits. In my province, and in Canada in general, pet insurance is a new concept. Just a few years ago there were very limited choices. The insurance I went with is part of the « new generation » of pet insurance companies and their rates are a lot lower.

So the vets don’t know them much (even though the real company behind the insurers has been around for a while). The agent on the phone had my vet’s name in his list, and he said lots of customers use this vet so it shouldn’t be a problem.

My only concern is they will refuse coverage for many conditions, and maybe even refuse to cover one or both of the dogs.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It’s 84$/month for both dogs and I even have dental for Beckie. Deductible is 100$ for Beckie and 250$ for Merlin.
Wow, that’s really good. And I’m glad I’m not the only one who does spreadsheets for the dog’s finances—my family thinks I’m crazy 😂. Good luck with getting accepted!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts